Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:46 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Z06 TAX?!?

That is strange.....I had asked about the weight back in November and no one commented yet

Surprised a Z06 guy hasnt compared that....just seems like most people would just out of curiosity being our cars are so light from the factory

I read someone commenting on them being pretty heavy......hoping for a 15 lb weight penalty.....or closer to 10 ideally. They have larger internals....larger valve, larger diameter outlet and heavier gauge tubing possibly

Im quite sure they will be heavier.....just a matter of how much.

The shipping box says 60 pounds.....if 15 of that is packing thats puts the mufflers and pipes at 22 lbs each or so (not light that's for sure)

Anyone?.....LOL

Im a W/D with Holley....I will inquire about the Z06 tax and see what's up with that but it is going to be rough to get someone on the phone that's real familiar with this. Customer service is all but extinct with this company

-Tony
I have a new never installed set (70401329-RHKR). The only scale I have at home is a reasonably accurate digital body analysis scale, used my own weight as tare weight. Here's what I got after taking several measurements of both parts:

The muffler section including the valve weighs 20.5 lbs

The 3" connecting tube weighs 5 lbs. The clamps and hardware weigh 1.5 Lbs.

So total for one side is about 26.25 Lbs including clamps and fasteners. Accuracy is probably +/- .5 Lb or so.

The connecting tube is 3" diameter all the way and the muffler inlet and the valves and valved outlet are also 3" as advertised. Interestingly, the non valved outlet tube is 2.5".diameter exiting the muffler.

The install kit includes two 12" long pieces of vacuum hose. Very nicely made, polished finish and good looking clean welds.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:52 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Corsa Xtreme weighs 31lbs total for both sides. About 20lbs less than oem. Just for reference. Let us know how installation goes.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Legend921
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am definitely interested in trying these out to see how they compare to my Corsa Extremes. I do miss having the dual mode exhaust. On a good note with the extremes, my neighbors can’t hear me when I am returning from a drive, however, do they hear me when I fire it up cold. When cold the Extremes are fairly loud but forgiving. Haven’t had a neighbor complaint yet.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:38 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 908 Likes on 373 Posts

I went to a Rep I trust who spoke with someone else inside Holley.....he says they are the same kit (so my "Z06 tax" joke seems spot on!)

If any of you guys want to buy a set of these contact me via PM, email, or phone and I will make you a good deal on the less expensive set!! 😋

Looks like they are one and the same.....I would take advantage of the pricing anomaly while it still exists!!

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 05-19-2022, 07:41 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by HRDTOPC54FUN
I have a new never installed set (70401329-RHKR). The only scale I have at home is a reasonably accurate digital body analysis scale, used my own weight as tare weight. Here's what I got after taking several measurements of both parts:

So total for one side is about 26.25 Lbs including clamps and fasteners. Accuracy is probably +/- .5 Lb or so.

The connecting tube is 3" diameter all the way and the muffler inlet and the valves and valved outlet are also 3" as advertised. Interestingly, the non valved outlet tube is 2.5".diameter exiting the muffler.

The install kit includes two 12" long pieces of vacuum hose. Very nicely made, polished finish and good looking clean welds.
Great info.....thanks for posting

The big question is what does stock weigh....has anyone weighed the stock catback?

I think the smaller sized non valved outlet is that size to reduce drone and the bass notes that emit from larger diameter pipe.....that would be the "quiet" pipe and it makes sense to reduce the diameter for the outlet of the muffler on that side.

-Tony
Old 05-19-2022, 08:08 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

The over axle pipes are different. Don't send out false information and then get people to buy something just to find out they don't fit.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:22 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
The over axle pipes are different. Don't send out false information and then get people to buy something just to find out they don't fit.
Do you know that for a fact? (Im asking if you have legit first hand knowledge of this). Both are listed as 3" pipes in the description

Also the information Im sharing comes from a source directly inside Holley which I have already stated.

Could that be wrong? Maybe.....but Im curious why you seem so sure they are different.

I am going to do more investigating into this situation directly within Holley to try and confirm the original info I was given is solid but would still like to know where you got yours?

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-19-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:57 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

The photos of the base model vs c6 z06 blackhearts alone will confirm they are indeed different over axle pipes. If you look real close you'll notice the c6 base model over axle pipes taper down to 2.5" to mate to the oem midpipe, which ends at a 2.5" diameter. C6 Z06 & ZR1 have a 3" mid pipe that mates to a 3" inlet over axle pipe.

This by itself makes them different.

​​​​​2005-2008 c6 base have different over axle pipes vs 2009-2013 c6 base model, all with an inlet of 2.5." The shape of these over axle pipes for the two different groups is also different. There were some clearance changes to fit the tr6060 into the c6 base

2006-2013 c6 Z06 (all zr1 included) have their own unique 3" over axle pipe.

I work with all the exhaust manufacturers btw
Old 05-19-2022, 10:00 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Go ahead and visit the holley performance website you'll see 3 different parts numbers for the hooker blackhearts. One for 2005-2008 c6 base, one for 2009-2013 c6 base, and one for 2006-2013 c6z.

Oftentimes, for cost savings manufacturers will utilize the same muffler and tip assembly, and then just modify the over axle pipes to fit the different models of c6.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:49 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Go ahead and visit the holley performance website you'll see 3 different parts numbers for the hooker blackhearts. One for 2005-2008 c6 base, one for 2009-2013 c6 base, and one for 2006-2013 c6z.

Oftentimes, for cost savings manufacturers will utilize the same muffler and tip assembly, and then just modify the over axle pipes to fit the different models of c6.
OK....I do see the small neckdown to 2.5" on the C6 base P/N.....looking at better pics made that more obvious.

So the info I received was partially incorrect but I bet you anything that's the only difference (which you mentioned also.....likely the same muffler assemblies) so the "Z06 tax" is alive and well.....LOL

Also Holley Rep may have only been thinking about just the muffler assembly when my contact in the company posed the question

That said, for guys with fabricating capabilities buying the base model deal to save a few bucks might not be a bad call

For me personally I would be putting a V-band clamp in that area anyway so that's as good a spot as any to chop off the smaller taper portion of the pipe and install one half of the V-band assembly.

I like the serviceability of being able to drop the center section of the exhaust easily

I had a similar set-up on the system I fabricated (modified really) for my C5 using an ARH midpipe that I added a much more gradual taper from 3" to 2.5" and then a V-band where it connected to the C5Z06 2.5" titanium over the axle system.

So in a previous post you mentioned a Corsa is 31 lbs and approx 20 lbs lighter than stock.....take it stock is 51 lbs then? Did you get a good weight for the OEM system....is 51 lbs pretty accurate?

If that's true the Blackheart isn't much heavier at all which make it even more attractive. And its not a horrible place to add a few pound in the very rear of the vehicle (weight transfer / a hair more traction, etc.).

I may end up running this deal....will update this thread when and if I decide to do so and post some pics of the modifications I have highlighted here

-Tony

Old 05-20-2022, 06:52 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

The oem exhaust weighs 52lbs total. So 26lbs each side.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:37 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Great info.....thanks for posting

The big question is what does stock weigh....has anyone weighed the stock catback?

I think the smaller sized non valved outlet is that size to reduce drone and the bass notes that emit from larger diameter pipe.....that would be the "quiet" pipe and it makes sense to reduce the diameter for the outlet of the muffler on that side.

-Tony
Tony

Glad I could help. We have talked many times in the past.

I have your ported AFR heads, Fast 92, oil pump and custom cam in my LS1.

Also your ported/shaved MSD and TB on the LS7.

Excellent quality components, thanks for being there.

Dave P
Old 05-21-2022, 12:30 AM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HRDTOPC54FUN

Thank you! And LMK if you decide you want to sell it, I'm localish!

The photos of the base model vs c6 z06 blackhearts alone will confirm they are indeed different over axle pipes. If you look real close you'll notice the c6 base model over axle pipes taper down to 2.5" to mate to the oem midpipe, which ends at a 2.5" diameter. C6 Z06 & ZR1 have a 3" mid pipe that mates to a 3" inlet over axle pipe.

This by itself makes them different.

​​​​​2005-2008 c6 base have different over axle pipes vs 2009-2013 c6 base model, all with an inlet of 2.5." The shape of these over axle pipes for the two different groups is also different. There were some clearance changes to fit the tr6060 into the c6 base

2006-2013 c6 Z06 (all zr1 included) have their own unique 3" over axle pipe.

I work with all the exhaust manufacturers btw
I agree 100% with what you're saying, but if you look at the fitment, they list the base and the ZR1 with this model:
Hooker Headers 70401324-R: Blackheart Axle-Back Exhaust Kit - JEGS High Performance
That's what I didn't understand as I believe the Z06 and ZR1 are interchangeable.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:34 AM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That said, for guys with fabricating capabilities buying the base model deal to save a few bucks might not be a bad call

For me personally I would be putting a V-band clamp in that area anyway so that's as good a spot as any to chop off the smaller taper portion of the pipe and install one half of the V-band assembly.

I like the serviceability of being able to drop the center section of the exhaust easily

I had a similar set-up on the system I fabricated (modified really) for my C5 using an ARH midpipe that I added a much more gradual taper from 3" to 2.5" and then a V-band where it connected to the C5Z06 2.5" titanium over the axle system.

So in a previous post you mentioned a Corsa is 31 lbs and approx 20 lbs lighter than stock.....take it stock is 51 lbs then? Did you get a good weight for the OEM system....is 51 lbs pretty accurate?

If that's true the Blackheart isn't much heavier at all which make it even more attractive. And its not a horrible place to add a few pound in the very rear of the vehicle (weight transfer / a [i
hair[/i] more traction, etc.).

-Tony
Exactly what I was thinking, on all counts!
Old 08-14-2023, 10:08 PM
Greenslade11
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone compared this to zr1/11-13 z06 factory npp? Wanting to know how they compare with the valves closed, which one is quieter.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:18 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Greenslade11
Has anyone compared this to zr1/11-13 z06 factory npp? Wanting to know how they compare with the valves closed, which one is quieter.
"Nothing" is quieter than the oem system with the valves closed.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:27 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R&D
Did anybody get a weight on this system compared to stock?

I have the system and did in fact weigh it.

28 pounds per side plus 1 pound for the bracket that ties them together.

total 57 pounds for the system.

took video. Doesn’t seem like i can attaché them hereto.

Last edited by Nosferatu333; 08-15-2023 at 01:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!

Old 08-15-2023, 12:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Nosferatu333
I have the system and did in fact weigh it.

28 pounds per side plus 1 pound for the bracket that ties them together.

total 57 pounds for the system.

took video. Doesn’t seem like in an attaché them hereto.
Did you weigh the stock system on the same scale??

Fingers crossed that you did!!

-Tony
Old 08-15-2023, 01:04 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Did you weigh the stock system on the same scale??

Fingers crossed that you did!!

-Tony
The stock system weighs a total of 52lbs.

Do Corsa Xtreme. Less weight, better ride comfort in cabin, larger 4.5" tips and louder on the outside when you get on it. I do have one I'm selling.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:05 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

"Nothing" is quieter than the oem system with the valves closed.
100% agree.....but the Black heart has larger internals and would flow a little more air even over the later model ZR1/Z06 set-up

The Blackheart while a litte louder than stock (both with the valves closed) still doesnt drone at all which I personally really dislike (drone is annoying)....and it's definitely louder than stock with the valves open and a good exhaust note.

Honestly its just a really good choice for the guys that don't want an obnoxiously loud Z06 and want the ability to adjust the volume of the exhaust based on their mood or situation.

And I get that some guys do enjoy it really loud but for the guys that like the ability to keep it quiet sometimes with zero drone the Hooker system is excellent

Regards,
Tony

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!