Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6Z front grill question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 03:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default C6Z front grill question

Hi, took a piece of drywall center hit to grill, stove it in good. Missed the front clip though. Question, any worthwhile options/upgrades for the grill? Suggestions where to buy?
Thanks all.

Froggy
Old 04-20-2021, 03:49 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Pics?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Pics?
Picture a busted in plastic grill. Why do you need a picture? Can you help the thread? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:05 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

I'd just buy another OEM one. Probably pretty cheap. I dont like any of the cheesy billet aftermarket ones
The following 3 users liked this post by MTBSully:
CDNZ (04-22-2021), froggy47 (04-20-2021), Starfish Prime (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of a small splitter/lip. Does anyone make one that withstands the scraping I know will happen. Like some rubbery material? I'm thinking NOT fiberglass or carbon fiber due to the obvious.

Froggy
Old 04-20-2021, 05:23 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Pics would help the thread. One could assume that if all that broke was the plastic insert grill, advice on a replacement wouldn't be needed. There's several vendors that sell aftermarket and OEM replacements out there. The way I read your initial post, it wasn't very clear what was broken.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pb82 Ronin:
RobRobinette (04-22-2021), SilverBulletC6Z (04-20-2021), SPDKLZ1 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Pics would help the thread. One could assume that if all that broke was the plastic insert grill, advice on a replacement wouldn't be needed. There's several vendors that sell aftermarket and OEM replacements out there. The way I read your initial post, it wasn't very clear what was broken.
Ok, don't want to get into with you, but broke the grill and missed the front clip seems pretty clear to me. Maybe you didn't know what a front clip is, so sorry, here's a def. for you:

What is the front clip on a car?
A front clip consists of the complete body parts from the front: radiator support, front fenders, hood, and bumper, spoilers, lights etc. It is usually from the hood and fenders and on.

So just grill, period. I am asking for advice on replacement. Please pass on this thread if you just want to argue. I am already pizzed enough that some azzhat doesn't know how to tie a load down. Don't need more chit here.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-20-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Seein_red
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Ok, don't want to get into with you, but broke the grill and missed the front clip seems pretty clear to me. Maybe you didn't know what a front clip is, so sorry, here's a def. for you:

A front clip consists of the complete body parts from the front: radiator support, front fenders, hood, and bumper, spoilers, lights etc. It is usually from the hood and fenders and on.

So just grill, period. I am asking for advice on replacement. Please pass on this thread if you just want to argue. I am already pizzed enough that some azzhat doesn't know how to tie a load down. Don't need more chit here.

I hear ya - I took a chunk of plywood to the same area. I looked around but never found an upgrade replacement that I liked. Subscribing to thread in case you get something.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Seein_red
I hear ya - I took a chunk of plywood to the same area. I looked around but never found an upgrade replacement that I liked. Subscribing to thread in case you get something.
I am leaning towards oem but maybe add a little splitter if I find one that will hold up to the scraping.
Thanks for a nice post.

The following users liked this post:
Seein_red (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:42 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Splitter your options are pretty much fiberglass, plastic or carbon fiber. Personally I seem to destroy at least 1 splitter per year so carbon fiber is out. ABS is ok but it flexes so much I actually had one pull itself under the car during a high speed pull. So ive settled on fiberglass because they are stiff and cheap to replace when they break.
The following users liked this post:
RobRobinette (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 09:25 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I bought a replacement grill off eBay 3 yrs ago. And since the bumper was coming off anyway I also got a splitter reinforcement from RPI (intending to buy a splitter later on), as well as a removable screw-in tow hook from Phoenix (obviously only for track use but could come in handy one day, so its kept in the rear cubby)

I did buy a carbon splitter later, but honestly don't recommend one. I do track the car and thought it might look pretty too. One thing i did however is put some protective bodyside molding on the underneath, before I installed it. Believe me...this has been put to good use quite often

side molding under splitter

Also, since I track the car and its impossible to access behind the grill for cleaning, I tie-wrapped some cheap plastic gutter guard (dollar store) onto the grill to prevent track marbles (melted rubber) from being swallowed

Having said all that, I noticed another Z06 at a track, where the owner had his grill secured with virtually invisible black screws countersunk into the plastic....so it could be easily removed from the outside, without removing the entire bumper. Since, I've already had to remove my bumper several times (PITA), I think this is a great idea and if it ever comes off again, will do the same thing. It's not noticeable unless you look very closely and makes it way easier to clean behind.

Good luck...and thanks for the 'how to' videos you've posted.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
I bought a replacement grill off eBay 3 yrs ago. And since the bumper was coming off anyway I also got a splitter reinforcement from RPI (intending to buy a splitter later on), as well as a removable screw-in tow hook from Phoenix (obviously only for track use but could come in handy one day, so its kept in the rear cubby)

I did buy a carbon splitter later, but honestly don't recommend one. I do track the car and thought it might look pretty too. One thing i did however is put some protective bodyside molding on the underneath, before I installed it. Believe me...this has been put to good use quite often

side molding under splitter

Also, since I track the car and its impossible to access behind the grill for cleaning, I tie-wrapped some cheap plastic gutter guard (dollar store) onto the grill to prevent track marbles (melted rubber) from being swallowed

Having said all that, I noticed another Z06 at a track, where the owner had his grill secured with virtually invisible black screws countersunk into the plastic....so it could be easily removed from the outside, without removing the entire bumper. Since, I've already had to remove my bumper several times (PITA), I think this is a great idea and if it ever comes off again, will do the same thing. It's not noticeable unless you look very closely and makes it way easier to clean behind.

Good luck...and thanks for the 'how to' videos you've posted.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++
That's a smart looking setup. Kudo's. Please if they still sell them post a link or info on the splitter. What does the tow hook attach to? Looks like a Froggy vid coming up.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:01 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++
That's a smart looking setup. Kudo's. Please if they still sell them post a link or info on the splitter. What does the tow hook attach to? Looks like a Froggy vid coming up.
Thanks! Its an APR version 1 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 Front Air Dam Version 1 2006-Up ( Z06 / Grand Sport only) (aprperformance.com)
They have (had) sales a couple of times annually.
I preferred this style (than their version 2 ZR1) for my application because i added 4" grill mounted brake ducts, and blocked off the OE inlets

The tow hook was from Phoenix Performance, but I think they've discontinued them. LG Performance should have them however...
Its a bit of a PITA to attach to the crossmember, but if "I" could do it then anyone can.
I guess GM didn't want to provide one for an aluminum frame car, but thats no excuse for the steel frame cars. I can only imagine the damage that winching onto most flatbeds would do.
Regardless, it appears solid enough and I've used it to winch my car onto the trailer. I would be loath to use it for actually towing the car with cable snapping and jerking, but "what if" you break down on track?
I unscrew it immediately after track days, as it wouldn't be smart to have that as initial point of contact if bumped.

As for the splitter, I've just reopened its brake inlets (underneath, behind is still blocked however), because in addition to my 4" grill ducts, I've also added the inexpensive ZR1/Z07 brake scoops...and they need air from underneath, along with a bit of a trim of the airdam...like the Zr1/Z07s

BTW, I just referred to your great mid-pipe removal video because I'm about to install the DEI tunnel insulation kit...and swap over to ZR1 mufflers (now if I could only wiggle out the originals...taking a break...lol)

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 04-22-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
Thanks! Its an APR version 1 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 Front Air Dam Version 1 2006-Up ( Z06 / Grand Sport only) (aprperformance.com)
They have (had) sales a couple of times annually.
I preferred this style (than their version 2 ZR1) for my application because i added 4" grill mounted brake ducts, and blocked off the OE inlets

The tow hook was from Phoenix Performance, but I think they've discontinued them. LG Performance should have them however...
Its a bit of a PITA to attach to the crossmember, but if "I" could do it then anyone can.
I guess GM didn't want to provide one for an aluminum frame car, but thats no excuse for the steel frame cars. I can only imagine the damage that winching onto most flatbeds would do.
Regardless, it appears solid enough and I've used it to winch my car onto the trailer. I would be loath to use it for actually towing the car with cable snapping and jerking, but "what if" you break down on track?
I unscrew it immediately after track days, as it wouldn't be smart to have that as initial point of contact if bumped.

As for the splitter, I've just reopened its brake inlets (underneath, behind is still blocked however), because in addition to my 4" grill ducts, I've also added the inexpensive ZR1/Z07 brake scoops...and they need air from underneath, along with a bit of a trim of the airdam...like the Zr1/Z07s

BTW, I just referred to your great mid-pipe removal video because I'm about to install the DEI tunnel insulation kit...and swap over to ZR1 mufflers (now if I could only wiggle out the originals...taking a break...lol)
======================================== ========================================
Well you are quite a craftsman. Thanks for the info. Did you think about gluing/fixing a little alum scrape strip under the splitter, so it hits 1st and saves the fiberglass?

Old 04-22-2021, 03:22 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

======================================== ========================================
Well you are quite a craftsman. Thanks for the info. Did you think about gluing/fixing a little alum scrape strip under the splitter, so it hits 1st and saves the fiberglass?

that’s exactly what the thin body side molding does in my first pic above...where the splitter is shown upside down.
BTW, if you do get one of these, let me know because there are a couple of tricks to its installation due to it having a bit of an undertray
(my muffler #1 is out...after having had to lower the rear subframe )

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 04-22-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:21 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Not the best attitude to get help. We know it sucks - relax man.
The following 2 users liked this post by Apocolipse:
Jason71 (04-23-2021), MaxLean (04-23-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 1,745 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Not the best attitude to get help. We know it sucks - relax man.
Let’s respect others trying to help
Old 04-25-2021, 01:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Hi,

For all the helpful guys on the thread, I was able to twist/pull the grill out, did not have to cut the grill up, it's very flexible. Bumper damage is some small rub/scrape down low on the bottom of the opening edge (not thru the primer) so not obvious to see, really got lucky on this one. Still looking for a splitter that will be street friendly, Froggy.

I know a "flexible splitter" is a contradiction. Probably I'd remove for track day.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-25-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z front grill question

Quick Reply: C6Z front grill question