Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What valved axle back options do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 06:03 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeezy
do you have cats? The guy at the show didn’t and it was LOUD!!!!
High Flow Kooks Cats
Old 05-12-2021, 06:16 PM
jbeezy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
High Flow Kooks Cats
those are on my list. Car sounds good.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:24 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 04:07 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 912 Likes on 375 Posts

Guys,

The Hooker system looks interesting. How is the drone with that system.....I HATE drone in the car.

This is why I was considering sticking with stock and just building custom cut outs. No drone cruising and you get the volume and the flow at WOT with the flip of a switch or even a vacuum operated cut out valve.

Pretty sure the Fusion exhaust has drone from the research I have down.....I also wasn't aware of the Hooker system until today and its interesting. I would recommend this system to my clients. Seems reasonably priced and has the large 3" pass through

Modding stock mufflers to a full 3" is alot of work.....the Hooker system has it all done for you

Good stuff....curious if you guys that own the system are still happy with it and your thoughts on the dreaded drone....LOL

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 05-13-2021, 06:19 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

the question really is if there are any performance gains (even lower exhaust temp. would be one) to be had with these systems or if it all about sound.

Last edited by romandian; 05-13-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:53 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 912 Likes on 375 Posts

A modded engine will be held back with the OEM exhaust.....it necks down to under 2.5" in the OEM muffler (some say 2.25" in fact....that's waaay too small).

Never had one apart to quote with confidence but I have read about the choke in the OEM muffs many times

I mean if your making over 550 at the wheels (650 at the crank), which is 100 more than stock, there are gains to be had with a higher flowing catback

If your making even more than that the gains would be larger.....a stock motor wont benefit a whole lot but a modded engine with good heads and a free flow exhaust (headers/ X-pipe etc.) would definitely benefit

-Tony

Old 05-14-2021, 04:12 PM
rgeorge33
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Guys,

The Hooker system looks interesting. How is the drone with that system.....I HATE drone in the car.

This is why I was considering sticking with stock and just building custom cut outs. No drone cruising and you get the volume and the flow at WOT with the flip of a switch or even a vacuum operated cut out valve.

Pretty sure the Fusion exhaust has drone from the research I have down.....I also wasn't aware of the Hooker system until today and its interesting. I would recommend this system to my clients. Seems reasonably priced and has the large 3" pass through

Modding stock mufflers to a full 3" is alot of work.....the Hooker system has it all done for you

Good stuff....curious if you guys that own the system are still happy with it and your thoughts on the dreaded drone....LOL

Regards,
Tony
I'm still happy with mine. I put a switch to manually control the valves where the cigarette lighter was. There is a tiny amount of drone with the valves closed at 70 mph in 6th gear when going up a long hill. Otherwise there is nothing (if there was my wife wouldn't ride in it). When the valves are open, the drone is really loud while cruising in 6th gear. I tend to leave my valves open until I hit the interstate, then I cruise peacefully with no real drone. I also have stock manifolds with cats, so that influences the sound. I'm sure with headers they would be extremely loud with the valves open and there may be more drone when closed, but I don't know that for a fact.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the fitment is not great. I plan to take mine to a local fabricator I trust to get the tips perfectly straight and symmetrical. I'm pretty picky though. I gather you're pretty detail oriented as well, based on the couple of conversations we had on the subject of cylinder heads...
Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
And in most cases why does the diameter of the valve matter? People have made 1300+rwhp through stock mufflers. By the time the exhaust gets to tips, it has cooled enough that 2.5" or whatever is pretty much a non-issue until you start pushing crazy power.
Because I'd rather have 3" and make 1305 rwhp.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:59 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,782 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Donzo7
I had a Z06 with Billy Boat headers catless x pipe and axle back exhaust including the valve system. It was obnoxiously loud with the valves open and not much better with them closed. Fun for about 15 minutes and than exhausting to drive. I ruined that car between the exhaust and the BTR Stage 3 cam. Smelled like a gas bomb🥴😳 Ive heard alot of good things about the Corsa exhausts...
Your car smelled like a gas bomb because you removed the cats,,,,why do people do that? You gain almost nothing from a performance prospective by removing cats & the result is..well you got it
Old 05-16-2021, 07:42 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 449er
Your car smelled like a gas bomb because you removed the cats,,,,why do people do that? You gain almost nothing from a performance prospective by removing cats & the result is..well you got it
Also why it was obnoxiously loud. Put a set of high flow cats on and you would like it much better.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:31 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 444 Posts

The CF Crew is the best at solving stuff like this!!

vetfever
Old 05-16-2021, 03:28 PM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Also why it was obnoxiously loud. Put a set of high flow cats on and you would like it much better.
Had High Flow Cats on my other C6, watery eyes, smell etc., basically did nothing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What valved axle back options do I have?