Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brake pad clips

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 PM
tdishon
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake pad clips

I have these break pad clips and one is touching the rotor hat. Three wheels are clear and one for the life of me I can't get it to no touch. Anyone else having this issue. I also converted to one piece pads. Are these clips needed?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:33 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

It takes a lot of fiddling with it but you can bend twist, pull push and finally make it like original fit. Just be patient. Yes on one piece pads, they are still needed.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:02 PM
tdishon
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear I'm heading in the right direction. I'm going to pull it apart and bend them up to clear. I just didn't want to start messing with them if they need removed. Thanks gsflyer2011!
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

clips are NOT needed with one piece pads. I don't know how you jammed them in under 1 piece pads...

a couple other tips; with one piece, just be careful that the holes for the guide pins aren't under-sized...otherwise the pads will not slide freely. Some manufacturers make them that way for some reason. You may need to bore them out...depending on the pad backing plate.

Also, make sure the guide pins are clean, no baked on brake residue and use a spot of anti-seize wherever the pads touch them (guide pins...center and ends)

Also, you do not need to remove the guide pins to install pads. The caliper is off anyway, so you can just insert them from the mouth after having pushed back pistons. Good luck

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 02-23-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:15 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
clips are NOT needed with one piece pads. I don't know you jammed them in under 1 piece pads...

a couple other tips; with one piece, just be careful that the holes for the guide pins aren't under-sized...otherwise the pads will not slide freely. Some manufacturers make them that way for some reason. You may need to bore them out...depending on the pad backing plate.

Also, make sure the guide puns are clean, no baked on brake residue and use a spot of anti-seize wherever the pads touch them (guide pins...center and ends)

Also, you do not need to remove the guide pins to install pads. The caliper is off anyway, so you can just insert them from the mouth after having pushed back pistons. Good luck
This is not correct. At least the spring part. Like the padlets, springs keep pads from sliding around and up and keeps them centered. I have never seen a brake pad installed without locating springs to keep them in place. If i remember correctly re installing springs are in the installation instructions with mono-blocks.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
This is not correct. At least the spring part. Like the padlets, springs keep pads from sliding around and up and keeps them centered. I have never seen a brake pad installed without locating springs to keep them in place. If i remember correctly re installing springs are in the installation instructions with mono-blocks.
The Guide Pins locate 1pc pads properly.
The plates have holes in their centers as well as notches at both ends. These hold the pads securely in position.

here you can see this in three different 1pc pad plates (L to R); Carbotech, G-Loc and Hawk.
Spring clips are redundant with 1pc pads and can’t even be jammed around some of the designs.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:42 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

The Guide Pins locate 1pc pads properly.
The plates have holes in their centers as well as notches at both ends. These hold the pads securely in position.

here you can see this in three different 1pc pad plates (L to R); Carbotech, G-Loc and Hawk.
Spring clips are redundant with 1pc pads and can’t even be jammed around some of the designs.

If the mono-blocks have pin holes and the pins need to be taken out to install them and reinstalled, i would agree. I use carbotechs 1521 monoblocks and the are solid do not have holes so you can leave the pins in place. Springs/retainers keep them from sliding out. Mine dies not look like the carbotech pad on your pictures. It is solid with no holes.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:45 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Maybe Bob from carbotech will chime in on this subject?
Old 02-23-2021, 02:17 AM
LPmold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if they're needed. But after i went to one piece Power Stop pads i tried to bend, twist, push and reinstall the springs three times. seems one wheel would always touch the rotor and squeak like crazy. I checked the fit to the guide pins to find it was very good. Free enough to move and not so loose as to get in a bind. I pulled all the springs out. I have 3000 street miles, two Autocross events and two big track days on them without a problem. Last weekend was at Chuckwalla and i worked them pretty hard.
Just my 2 Cents!

06 Z06 #427
Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech 1 piece pads are designed to work with the clips.

We have finished our redesign of our C6 Z06 One Piece pad for the front and rear stock calipers (PBR Calipers). We were the first to release the padlets almost four years ago, and then we were the first to release the One Piece over a year ago. That design that we worked with GM on wasn't perfect. That's the same design you see other companies using now.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com
Old 02-23-2021, 08:55 AM
allgonoshow2
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Carbotech 1 piece pads are designed to work with the clips.

We have finished our redesign of our C6 Z06 One Piece pad for the front and rear stock calipers (PBR Calipers). We were the first to release the padlets almost four years ago, and then we were the first to release the One Piece over a year ago. That design that we worked with GM on wasn't perfect. That's the same design you see other companies using now.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

Do you have a pic of your current design pads?
Old 02-23-2021, 09:38 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
If the mono-blocks have pin holes and the pins need to be taken out to install them and reinstalled, i would agree. I use carbotechs 1521 monoblocks and the are solid do not have holes so you can leave the pins in place. Springs/retainers keep them from sliding out. Mine dies not look like the carbotech pad on your pictures. It is solid with no holes.
That's very interesting. I have never removed the guide pins to install pads. I just pop the pads in through the mouth of the caliper over the pins.
Having said that, I can see how both the Carbotech plate and Hawk may be inserted into the clips, based on their shape mimicking padlets...but certainly not 1-pc G-Loc pads (see center image above). Those G-Locs maximize available surface area.
These are all race pads (Carbotech XP20, G-Loc R16, Hawk DTC70)...I've never used any of these companies street compounds.
I presumed they used the same drilled backing plates. I didn't know the Carbotech 1521s had no holes in them

Having said that, my OE guide pins (Torx head), which have never been removed...are too large diameter to go through the holes in both the Carbotech as well as G-Loc plates. Both of those are made with .476 diameter holes. The Hawk pads however, have larger holes, .520 and did not require being enlarged.
I now presume that replacement guide pins are smaller diameter than on my 08 car...otherwise there could be no explanation for why both Carbotech and G-Loc were undersized. I have actually noticed some with hex heads instead of my OE Torx heads on another Z06. Maybe the diameter is smaller...

Further, notwithstanding not having used the clips for my one-piece race pads (I do use the retaining clips of course when I reinsert my original OE padlets for street use), pad wear on track is very even, with virtually imperceptible taper (about 1-1/2hrs track time on the G-Loc...center image below).

I keep the old, used up Carbotech plate just to be able to easily retract the pistons during pad swaps, since the Hawk plate at far right doesn't have the little protruding tabs for my pad spreader.

Learning interesting stuff here...manufactured variances, etc,

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 02-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by allgonoshow2
Do you have a pic of your current design pads?
Old 02-23-2021, 09:55 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Just wondering...do these Carbotech no longer have the protruding tabs (for spreading them)? And do you know the hole diameter? Thanks
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Just wondering...do these Carbotech no longer have the protruding tabs (for spreading them)? And do you know the hole diameter? Thanks
I don't know you can call Carbotech ask for Mike jr 1877-899-5024.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:16 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Just noticed these 1-pc Power Stop 'Track Day' pads have a plate design similar to G-Loc. They don't have the padlets contour.
I doubt the retaining clips can be jammed around these either,...

Old 02-23-2021, 12:48 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the same problem when I switched to Coleman 2 piece rotors....I put new padlets in at the same time and the spring clips were hitting the rotor hat up front....bending them around didn't help much so I took the clips and padlets out and replaced them with one piece Stoptech sport pads....been around 1,000 street miles so far and no issues to report.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:17 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Hawks are where is at.... I run their hps street and dtc70 at the track....

no brake cooling on street tires and you can't overheat them... in sure with a track compound tire you could make em sweat ....

​​​​​​I never bothered with clips, and their 1 piece come with pin holes....

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad clips

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brake pad clips