Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Was thinking GS, now thinking Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 10:22 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason71
Personally, I think prices may normalize and come back down. I bought my Atomic Orange 2007 C6Z with 49k miles for $28k back in July. It had minor bolt-ons, but that’s it. September/October is when the prices have kinda gone up. I’m glad I got my C7 when I did, but also the C6Z as well. Give it some time and prices will get to be more reasonable again.

JMHO
I'm hoping that too. I'll continue watching the market but will get serious about purchasing around Jun or July.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:34 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

and I’m pleased that prices are what they are and seem to be holding/climbing.
After having lost $$$ all my life on various depreciating cars, it’s a pleasant surprise.
I suspect it’s a fringe market, based on the fact that these are probably one of the few analog type cars of this genre.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:35 PM
cool555
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hear you about losing $$ because I have been on that end too many times. Crossing fingers that prices will go down. It looks like prices have gone up across the board -gs, z06, etc.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:41 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
and I’m pleased that prices are what they are and seem to be holding/climbing.
After having lost $$$ all my life on various depreciating cars, it’s a pleasant surprise.
I suspect it’s a fringe market, based on the fact that these are probably one of the few analog type cars of this genre.
I can understand that. LOL
Originally Posted by cool555
I hear you about losing $$ because I have been on that end too many times. Crossing fingers that prices will go down. It looks like prices have gone up across the board -gs, z06, etc.
Me too. It will make me feel even better about buying a car if prices pull back a little.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 AM
JCENZ06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Thanks, both my buddies lost their LS7s on the road course this year unfortunately and makes me not regret my decision as the price difference was ~$10k for a similar later model Z06 and a replacement engine is more than that...could almost own two Grand Sports for the price they’ve paid as I only gave $27k for mine.
What was the cause of the LS7 engine failures? I just picked up a Z06 and plan on tracking it. The heads have already been addressed, but now I am hearing of dry sump oil starvation problems?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

As long as you dont mind not having a targa top getting the c6 z06 is a very smart move, the crazy internet story which has mialigned the ls7 incorrectly makes the c6 z06 a great value.

id target a 2006 model myself so you get the best pricing and never have hear the bullshit from the peanut gallery.

thats what I would target for the best pricing yet if I came across a newer model Id buy that too..

you are more likely to have a cam fail than this bullcrap story propagated on the interweb of lies.

the testing pricedures done by tuners was flawed and never actually properly showed future failures but that did sell a ton of reworked heads for tuners to “fix” ahead of time and imstall.

thats my opinion.

im sure Ill get roasted by the internet ls7 heads are terrible police if any of them are still left on the forums.

in my opinion as long as you dont want or like the targa roof...the c6 z06 is an awesome preowned value supercar capable of 198 mph stock...not to kention all its other fabulous performance attributes.

nothing wrong with refreshing the high performance heads as you jear 100k miles as a maintenance item. I wouldnt change the cam.

JMO
Old 01-08-2021, 01:09 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by JCENZ06
What was the cause of the LS7 engine failures? I just picked up a Z06 and plan on tracking it. The heads have already been addressed, but now I am hearing of dry sump oil starvation problems?
One dropped a valve the other seized up from TI rod coating failing, both had lots of track miles so I’d say they got money’s worth. Just heard from another friend of another LS7 failing on road course though don’t know the details. I haven’t heard of oil starvation on the dry sumps and have buddy’s who run slicks. With anything that’s driven hard it’s not a matter of if, but when. I just think the longevity odds are better with an LS3 as I’m not a gambling man, I personally would rather put a cam and headers in for similar power and less money. I ran XER lobed cam with single springs and LSK with duals w/o issues, lots of others broke springs though I never go above 2k rpm till oil was over 130*
The following users liked this post:
JCENZ06 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:26 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
As long as you dont mind not having a targa top getting the c6 z06 is a very smart move, the crazy internet story which has mialigned the ls7 incorrectly makes the c6 z06 a great value.

id target a 2006 model myself so you get the best pricing and never have hear the bullshit from the peanut gallery.

thats what I would target for the best pricing yet if I came across a newer model Id buy that too..

you are more likely to have a cam fail than this bullcrap story propagated on the interweb of lies.

the testing pricedures done by tuners was flawed and never actually properly showed future failures but that did sell a ton of reworked heads for tuners to “fix” ahead of time and imstall.

thats my opinion.

im sure Ill get roasted by the internet ls7 heads are terrible police if any of them are still left on the forums.

in my opinion as long as you dont want or like the targa roof...the c6 z06 is an awesome preowned value supercar capable of 198 mph stock...not to kention all its other fabulous performance attributes.

nothing wrong with refreshing the high performance heads as you jear 100k miles as a maintenance item. I wouldnt change the cam.

JMO
Thanks for the advise. What BS from the peanut gallery are you referring to with the 2006? I am more inclined to look at a 2008 or newer for the stronger axles and slight interior upgrades.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:19 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Used car prices seem to be on a tear. I don't think this can last. I've been considering picking up a C6Z myself, but the prices now vs. 1-2 years ago seems crazy.
Maybe I can capitalize on that with the car I need to sell to fund it - 2008 M5 with 6speed manual. Also the last of a breed of analog cars with a manual transmission and a powerful race oriented NA engine, just in sedan format vs. sports car format!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Thirstyzr1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
About one year from now, I will be in the market to purchase my first vette. I have owned a 2000 Camaro SS that was an auto and I modded it until it ran 12.0 in the 1/4 mile. I have vowed than my next hotrod will run in the 11's. I will be making this purchase right around turning 50 years old. Based on my awesome experience with the LS1 Camaro, I've seen the light with the LS motors. After some research, the C6 seems to tickle my fancy. I was quickly drawn the the wide body GS or Z06. I originally thought I wanted an auto but now thinking an M6 is desired. My previous Camaro was an auto and I had a Yank SS3600 installed and wow, I miss it.

The vette purchase will be more of a cruiser and rarely if ever see the drag strip. I see my wife and I taking a few trips in it. This makes me a bit drawn to the softer suspension of the GS. On the other hand I think I might out grow the power of the GS and feel the need to add power. The removable top of the GS isn't something that is important to me. But when comparing year to year and mile to mile, the Z06 seems to be $7K-10K more which is steering me toward the GS. The difference in price could easily pay for an A&A SC.

Fishing for advice and things that I haven't thought of.
The GS is awesome and reliable. But if your gonna go aa on it, it all starts to add up. I had a ton of money in my 703 rwhp GS and it ran 10.39 @139

At the end of the day I wish I would have waited and got a zr1. And yes I had a 08 z06 heads all done and it still dropped a valve.
Xander617 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,197 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Thirstyzr1
The GS is awesome and reliable. But if your gonna go aa on it, it all starts to add up. I had a ton of money in my 703 rwhp GS and it ran 10.39 @139

At the end of the day I wish I would have waited and got a zr1.
Exactly. For the money I spent buying my 2013 GS new, putting an A&A kit on it, and then doing additional mods, I could have just bought a used ZR1 and called it done. And let me just say, even having a 4LT GS with mag ride, NPP and blower making 700rwhp doesn't make it a ZR1. The ZR1 is just that little bit "more" than the sum of its parts and it's also way more special/rare when talking to people, going to car shows, etc.
Xander617 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:20 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Thirstyzr1

At the end of the day I wish I would have waited and got a zr1. And yes I had a 08 z06 heads all done and it still dropped a valve.
Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Exactly. For the money I spent buying my 2013 GS new, putting an A&A kit on it, and then doing additional mods, I could have just bought a used ZR1 and called it done. And let me just say, even having a 4LT GS with mag ride, NPP and blower making 700rwhp doesn't make it a ZR1. The ZR1 is just that little bit "more" than the sum of its parts and it's also way more special/rare when talking to people, going to car shows, etc.
I appreciate the suggestions guys but I don't see many ZR1 less than $60K. This is $20K more than a Z06.

I have a feeling if I was looking at base vs a GS, you guys would try to talk me into a Z06.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:31 PM
Xander617
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

I appreciate the suggestions guys but I don't see many ZR1 less than $60K. This is $20K more than a Z06.

The 20k delta is better than the 60k more they were new,, and worth it. Especially for someone who plans to mod, the forged bottom end alone is worth it.

But yes, for a 40k budget, the z06 really can’t be beat
Old 01-16-2021, 07:50 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Xander617
The 20k delta is better than the 60k more they were new,, and worth it. Especially for someone who plans to mod, the forged bottom end alone is worth it.

But yes, for a 40k budget, the z06 really can’t be beat
I don't see me modding a Z06... in fact, it is seeming to be hard to find a Z06 that is un-modded. LOL. The main appeal to me going with the Z06 over the GS is because I feel it will be "enough" in stock form. The only power mod would be to have the valve guide issue fixed if it are not.
The following 2 users liked this post by rybern:
PRE-Z06 (01-17-2021), tommyc6z06 (03-13-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:35 AM
Xander617
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't see me modding a Z06... in fact, it is seeming to be hard to find a Z06 that is un-modded. LOL. The main appeal to me going with the Z06 over the GS is because I feel it will be "enough" in stock form. The only power mod would be to have the valve guide issue fixed if it are not.

If you have true modding restraint, then the z06 is truly the car for you. Hope to see you post a look what I bought thread in the future!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

If you have true modding restraint, then the z06 is truly the car for you. Hope to see you post a look what I bought thread in the future!
Thanks. I hope so too.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:23 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1

Literally been there done that & I KNOW I have "decent example of a used ZR1 money" into it all in, but - it all depends on what your plans are for the car. I KNEW no matter what, aside from the higher initial purchase cost holding my wallet back @ the beginning - I was going to mod whatever "hobby" car I had in the garage, regardless of whether it was a low mileage '03 Z06 for $24k or a low mileage '12 ZR1 for $.65k - & I feel like I'd be torn between messing up a nice clean example of a ZR1 & itching that mod bug, making it my own, & upping the performance even more. Getting to the point I could justify owning another one as I'm about done messing w/ the C5Z (after 8 years lol) - but I'd probably add a C6Z keep it N/A just add cam & fix heads....OR a C8, stock.

At the end of the day tough to go "wrong" w/ whatever you go w/, & obviously once you start bringing mods into the discussion it changes things quite a bit, I think taking a step back & really honestly asking yourself whether or not you'll mod it or leave mostly stock is the tough question to answer for many potential vette owners
PRE-Z06 (01-18-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Was thinking GS, now thinking Z06

Old 03-13-2021, 07:21 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Two months have gone by and wife and I are WAY ahead of schedule to pay off house(with in the next month).... it's official, I'm within my Vette purchase window. I have a few prospects but still teetering between the Z and the GS. Something I've discovered is I like that most GS's come with the lumbar seat. The lumbar is important to me due to lower back issues I have. None of the Z's I've seen have it (2008-2009 are the only one's in my $40K max budget). I'm feeling that for a cruiser, the GS might be the way to go.

I've been chatting with a guy that's considering selling his one owner low mileage '13 GS 3LT mag ride. But he it still trying to make peace with selling it.

I also see this pretty nice stock 2008 Z06 with 60K miles for $35K.
https://hillsidemotorsky.com/vdp/172...stown-KY-42629

There is this perfect red Z up north of PA which is an incredible price. I'm really wanting silver though. I suspect this one is SPF, I have reached out to seller once and as you likely suspected, he has had a lot of interest in such a clean car with RPM fixed heads.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-like-new.html

I drove over to Buyavette in GA last month but the weather was still cold and rainy so no test drives. Yeah, I know I really need to drive both before I decide, LOL

Last edited by rybern; 03-13-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I could care less about feelings, I like facts. I posted my actual C6GS weight, I don’t worship Google. The steel frame is a 100lb difference from Z06, where is all the extra weight coming from in the 269lb difference? A 1LZ ‘06 was the lightest model Z06 and you know they got heavier over the years right? Here’s a thread of GS owners saying their’s weighed less than that weight as well as another of it being lighter than ZR1 with its supercharger offsetting the aluminum frame.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rt-weight.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...completed.html
ok you’ve convinced me. I’m going to buy a gs and supercharge it instead of buying a Zr1. Thanks!

Years and trim packages all play a part in the weight of the cars.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:34 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Two months have gone by and wife and I are WAY ahead of schedule to pay off house(with in the next month).... it's official, I'm within my Vette purchase window. I have a few prospects but still teetering between the Z and the GS. Something I've discovered is I like that most GS's come with the lumbar seat. The lumbar is important to me due to lower back issues I have. None of the Z's I've seen have it (2008-2009 are the only one's in my $40K max budget). I'm feeling that for a cruiser, the GS might be the way to go.

I've been chatting with a guy that's considering selling his one owner low mileage '13 GS 3LT mag ride. But he it still trying to make peace with selling it.

I also see this pretty nice stock 2008 Z06 with 60K miles for $35K.
https://hillsidemotorsky.com/vdp/172...stown-KY-42629

There is this perfect red Z up north of PA which is an incredible price. I'm really wanting silver though. I suspect this one is SPF, I have reached out to seller once and as you likely suspected, he has had a lot of interest in such a clean car with RPM fixed heads.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-like-new.html

I drove over to Buyavette in GA last month but the weather was still cold and rainy so no test drives. Yeah, I know I really need to drive both before I decide, LOL
Quickest way to tell from pics of it has the lumbar seats on either if that is a must is if you can see seat heater buttons in center console or memory buttons on the door, I believe then it’ll be either a 3LT or 2LZ with them.

Originally Posted by shane p
Years and trim packages all play a part in the weight of the cars.
Of course, not understanding the point.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Was thinking GS, now thinking Z06