Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] C6 Hood venting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 01:47 PM
JeremyMalin
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C6 Hood venting

Has anyone had a vent installed in the back underside of their hood? I understand I can put a louvered insert in, but I really do like the window. That being said, something to help vent heat out would be ideal and I don't think I would have to worry near as much about water getting in. On the rare occasion I catch rain.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:45 PM
corvettejoe09
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyMalin
Has anyone had a vent installed in the back underside of their hood? I understand I can put a louvered insert in, but I really do like the window. That being said, something to help vent heat out would be ideal and I don't think I would have to worry near as much about water getting in. On the rare occasion I catch rain.
I replaced my window hood a few years ago with the louver insert because the super charger is not attractive. I track the car & a lot of the heat is removed from the engine bay. I didn't log the coolant temp but my oil temp went down. When I was running at the track, my buddy's Z06 windshield had lots of bugs & mine was clear. You can actually see the heat escaping through the louver. My option (only) is that I would never go back to the oem window.
I
Old 11-15-2020, 01:48 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Windshield is a high pressure area - at speed air will go INTO your engine bay instead of out. Bad idea. There is a reason it’s sealed.

Last edited by Apocolipse; 11-15-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:55 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,872 Likes on 4,273 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Windshield is a high pressure area - at speed air will go INTO your engine bay instead of out. Bad idea. There is a reason it’s sealed.
The Callaway hood bulge is vented on the top & open in the rear & I haven’t experienced any issues at speed or otherwise. You can definitely see all the heat escaping.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:21 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

I can go over the physics all day for you but you probably won’t believe me anyways lol. Try it yourself - tape some string tufts there and see what they do and at what speed it starts going the wrong way. They were called cowl INDUCTION hoods for a reason.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,872 Likes on 4,273 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I can go over the physics all day for you but you probably won’t believe me anyways lol. Try it yourself - tape some string tufts there and see what they do and at what speed it starts going the wrong way. They were called cowl INDUCTION hoods for a reason.
Quite the smug response for simply pointing out that one of the most well-known names in modified Corvettes put an open hood bulge on their supercharged cars & that I, personally, have not experienced any issues driving my vehicle at high speeds.

Perhaps you shouldn’t assume what others know, don’t know, or their ability to understand information
Old 11-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

I apologize I’m cranky today. Too much crap in the news lately. Need to stop watching it so much.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 12:32 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Or you can just upgrade your cooling system
Old 11-15-2020, 04:44 PM
corvettejoe09
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Quite the smug response for simply pointing out that one of the most well-known names in modified Corvettes put an open hood bulge on their supercharged cars & that I, personally, have not experienced any issues driving my vehicle at high speeds.

Perhaps you shouldn’t assume what others know, don’t know, or their ability to understand information
Same here. I agree with you.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:26 AM
JeremyMalin
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Cooling system upgrades are in place with much more coming. However I thought this was worth gathering opinions on.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:34 AM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You can see where the rubber seal/weatherstrip was removed. Cure all - no, but anything to let more heat out of engine bay IMO is a plus, also have a Halltech DRED hood that I had the vented insert installed in.

Last edited by MMEOD85; 12-01-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Well, I've actually seen photos of Callaway testing at VIR with the pieces of nylon tape testing the vents on top of the carbon bulge. Ive never see a cowl induction hood with the reliefs cut in it that the Callaway carbon bulge has. They did their homework.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I like physics and R&D, much better than putting vents in without testing.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by BLW BY
I like physics and R&D, much better than putting vents in without testing.

guessing you didn’t read all of the posts 😂
Old 12-02-2020, 11:57 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The base of the windshield is a hi pressure area. With a cowl induction type hood the only opening is to the air cleaner and so the air goes into the air cleaner. Now if you consider the rest of the base of the hood or a non cowl induction hood and remove the seal between the hood and the base of the windshield or cowl the air could go either way . It all depends on how much pressure there is at the windshield base and the engine compartment. Back in the sixties windshields were more vertical and created more pressure so cowl induction worked great. Today windshields are more laid back and don't create as much pressure. But engine compartments today are more packed and may create higher underhood pressure. You see more louvered hoods today. You hafta test to see what your particular vehicle does. Do the string test.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Hood venting

Quick Reply: [ZR1] C6 Hood venting