Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

550RWHP stock cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 AM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeZ
Why don’t you get it dyno’d on another dyno and post up the SAE numbers? If it’s close to your current numbers you’ll prove that it is indeed making that. If not then the original dyno is loose.
Start a gofund me or something and send me the cash for the dyno and I will happily do that. My SAE numbers were 542/515. I dont need to prove anything to myself lol I already know how my car runs. I raced the 680whp A10 ZL1 that was dyno'd SAE on CSP dyno and beat him. I have absolutely nothing to prove. The same exact dyno that I made my 542/515 on I have seen c6Z cam cars make mid 5's so I dont care lol. I have seen LOW numbers on that dyno so I know the dyno isnt just throwing out high numbers. If people want to believe me they can, if not then ok. I mean the Vid is posted of me racing the 2018 GT with bolt ons and Edelbrock 2650 making what he thinks to be around 700whp, his car was remote tuned and has yet to be dyno'd. I beat him too. My car runs great. I personally do not care about the dyno numbers, I care about how great my car runs. Everyone else is concerned with "loose dynos" and what not. Like I said, I just posted my results. If someone wants to pay for my dyno time anywhere within 90 min of where I live I will happily go to any dynojet that they prefer.
The following users liked this post:
Pb82 Ronin (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DsaxC6Z
Start a gofund me or something and send me the cash for the dyno and I will happily do that. My SAE numbers were 542/515. I dont need to prove anything to myself lol I already know how my car runs. I raced the 680whp A10 ZL1 that was dyno'd SAE on CSP dyno and beat him. I have absolutely nothing to prove. The same exact dyno that I made my 542/515 on I have seen c6Z cam cars make mid 5's so I dont care lol. I have seen LOW numbers on that dyno so I know the dyno isnt just throwing out high numbers. If people want to believe me they can, if not then ok. I mean the Vid is posted of me racing the 2018 GT with bolt ons and Edelbrock 2650 making what he thinks to be around 700whp, his car was remote tuned and has yet to be dyno'd. I beat him too. My car runs great. I personally do not care about the dyno numbers, I care about how great my car runs. Everyone else is concerned with "loose dynos" and what not. Like I said, I just posted my results. If someone wants to pay for my dyno time anywhere within 90 min of where I live I will happily go to any dynojet that they prefer.
Do you not find it strange your 550whp car is beating 700whp cars?
Old 06-19-2020, 11:25 AM
ry_guy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
I would absolutely do a cam but the question is, how far do you grind it from stock....hence my question.
Depending on what kind of supporting mods you'll run you won't need a huge cam to reach your 550 goal. It's all in how you want to tackle it really. If you want to go the route of aggressively milling your heads you can get a lower lift, longer duration cam to reach your 550. Or if you're not wanting to mill your heads too much, a mild lift/duration cam would do it. Just watch for piston/valve clearance when milling and going higher lift. I'd call your preferred shop and tell them your goal, let them spec it out. As others have said, 550 will be highly unlikely with the stock cam, and you're halfway there with your heads off might as well go for it.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I actually think that horsepower is attainable FBO, but you keep writing paragraphs trying to prove your WHP. I just stated a simple solution that will shut up the naysayers. If you don’t need to prove anything then let people say what they want.

Last edited by NemeZ; 06-19-2020 at 11:40 AM.
DsaxC6Z (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:11 PM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sub8
Do you not find it strange your 550whp car is beating 700whp cars?
Not when its 700+lbs lighter. 550 whp at 3200lbs 5.8lbs per HP. 680 whp ZL! automatic at 3950lbs+ 5.8lbs per HP. 700whp 2018 Mustang GT+edelbrock 2650 at 3800lbs 5.42lbs per HP. Marginal difference and we still have aerodynamics, driver skill, gearing. So to answer your question, NO LOL. Do you know of Jeremy Formato? Tuner out of Florida. I'll paraphrase him here, "My favorite car I had was my c6z, the weight, the power, the areo, the gearing. It had upper 500's WHP and it was beating stuff in the 700's. If you didnt have 800whp you couldnt mess with it".
Old 06-19-2020, 12:16 PM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Here is the same shop, same dyno, same tuner. You can call the shop and talk to Josh. So at the 0:40 mark there is a C6Z with fixed heads, BTR stage 3 cam, headers, CAI, and tune obviously. It made 562/510. At the 2:40 mark there is a C6Z with Fast intake, CAI, headers, and tune that made 489/474. At the 3:50 mark C6Z with fixed heads, HPA stage 2 cam, CAI, Headers, and tune that made 555/505. So are these ridiculously high numbers for two cam cars and a bolt on car? I used the same dyno same tuner, just different parts the way I wanted to. So we have a BTR stage 3 cam car making 560 and a HPA stage 2 cam car making 550 but this dyno reads outrageously high? I guess when I do put a cam in my car my 556/529 is gonna be 670/570 with this outrageous dyno? I plan on doing HorsepowerAddict's stage 3 cam and I am hoping to be at 635/550 STD, idk what that is SAE but I will 100% get those numbers when the time actually comes. You can also see in this video at the 1:24 mark my buddies car make 656/551 with ported and milled heads, a .700 lift cam, and full bolt ons.... At the 4:35 mark you can see my old set up with ported and milled heads, CAI, Ported stock TB, 2" kook headers make 531/482. Then I added the self ported MSD and the NW and make what I make now. HUGE GAINS with the MSD and NW and you can feel the difference in the seat, two different cars. So we have one heads cam car making 656/551, another BTR stage 3 cam car making 562/505, one stock cam car with heads making 531/482, one stock cam car with bolt ons and only fixed heads non ported non milled making 489/474. But the dyno decided to be "loose" when it wanted to be. To answer your question my man, yes you can make 550whp or damn near it with the stock cam and FULL BOLT ON if you are porting and milling the heads when getting them addressed.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
I would absolutely do a cam but the question is, how far do you grind it from stock....hence my question.
Go on cammotion website, get them to grind you a stock ls7 cam 210/230 121, but at 0.650 lift instead of 0.590. More power, more reliable, and same driveability.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:51 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I understand what you are saying... But for example, my buddy just had his EXACT build tuned back to back within 4 weeks or so, the only difference being his heads milled further... First his car made 633whp, he wasnt happy, he pulled the heads and sent them out to get milled further to bump compression, 4 weeks later got re-tuned and he made 650whp on a much hotter day with 43% humidity in the shop (Vid on my youtube channel That427Dude). So what I am saying, everything for him remaining the same, ONLY thing changing was milling of the heads bumping his compression and he picked up 17 whp on a hotter more humid day. So yes the new LS7 has new heads and a new cam, BUT I would be willing to bet that my heads from A.I have more aggressive porting than the new LS7 heads and are also Milled further therefore my motor having higher compression than that new crate motor also... Compression really matters... That's why you see guys making 14:1 NA on race gas pushing 800whp. Compression is a big factor. All I am saying is I am not lying lol I have no reason to lie, I did all the assembly with my buddy, did the MSD porting, I watched my car make 556/529 from 530/480 by only changing to the NW and MSD... All I can do is tell people what I did, the results, and offer to allow people to check my car out in person if they would like.
The compression ratio rule of thumb (which I have found to be fairly accurate-keyword "fairly") has been 4% gain for each full point increase, i.e.-A 10:1 ratio will make 4% more power than a 9:1 ratio. That said, going from 11:1 to 13:1 would net an 8% increase, all other things equal. At 600hp, you'd see 648hp, if my math is correct. At that point, unless you ran an outrageous amount of duration, you'd certainly need at least 100+ octane racing fuel. Just sayin'......
Old 06-22-2020, 03:39 PM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by grinder11
The compression ratio rule of thumb (which I have found to be fairly accurate-keyword "fairly") has been 4% gain for each full point increase, i.e.-A 10:1 ratio will make 4% more power than a 9:1 ratio. That said, going from 11:1 to 13:1 would net an 8% increase, all other things equal. At 600hp, you'd see 648hp, if my math is correct. At that point, unless you ran an outrageous amount of duration, you'd certainly need at least 100+ octane racing fuel. Just sayin'......
Yea obviously my argument that my heads are milled and my engine higher compression than the new stock LS7 is just one consideration. I would also assume the porting of my A.I. heads plays a part vs the porting on the new crate LS7 heads. On top of that you have my larger TB, much superior MSD intake compared to the stock LS7 intake, the CAI, the 2' headers... Its the sum of all parts.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

No..
Sicvette (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM
BigBronco
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The easiest way to cut out the bullshit is to stop dyno racing and actually get the car scaled and go run at the track.

Dynos are simply tools to help assist with giving you a close number on power/torque and a tuning tool.

I had a c6 z06 with only a cam, ATI pulley, 1 7/8 long tubes (kooks) with the factory z06 catback. Car made 560 rwhp. Trapped 133 to 134 mph all day long on pump gas.

Then I moved onto ported and milled heads still with factory TB and Intake manifold and made 605 rwhp. Car picked up another 2-3 mph depending on pass and deep stage. Then 150 shot of nitrous to get me in the 140's all day long in the 1/4.

I drug the **** out of some cars on the road and at the track due to the setup/weight of the car.

Just need people to go out there and run at the track and quit the bullshitting. My car was making about 760 rwhp and I drug the absolutely **** ouf of a viper making 890 rwhp. Ran door to door with many 900 rwhp + 5th gen camaros, etc.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:40 PM
DsaxC6Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigBronco
The easiest way to cut out the bullshit is to stop dyno racing and actually get the car scaled and go run at the track.

Dynos are simply tools to help assist with giving you a close number on power/torque and a tuning tool.

I had a c6 z06 with only a cam, ATI pulley, 1 7/8 long tubes (kooks) with the factory z06 catback. Car made 560 rwhp. Trapped 133 to 134 mph all day long on pump gas.

Then I moved onto ported and milled heads still with factory TB and Intake manifold and made 605 rwhp. Car picked up another 2-3 mph depending on pass and deep stage. Then 150 shot of nitrous to get me in the 140's all day long in the 1/4.

I drug the **** out of some cars on the road and at the track due to the setup/weight of the car.

Just need people to go out there and run at the track and quit the bullshitting. My car was making about 760 rwhp and I drug the absolutely **** ouf of a viper making 890 rwhp. Ran door to door with many 900 rwhp + 5th gen camaros, etc.

Exactly. My car is getting set up for road course racing. I have a lightweight flywheel and stock half shafts so launching it at a track never has and never will be on my list of things to do. I posted a video of me racing an Edelbrock 2650 full bolt on 2018 GT and walked him. He plans on taking his car to the track this weekend so we will see what it traps soon enough. I've walked everything I've raced from rolls so far. I don't care about my dyno numbers. I was never using the dyno as a measuring stick. I kept the stock cam because I didnt care about making 600-650whp. I wanted to learn my car and get used to it before pushing that kind of power so I just went with ported and milled heads and full bolt on with no expectation of what it would or would not make. All I did was post the results, both STD and SAE. I don't care what it dyno'd its all the same to me if that piece of paper said 500whp, all I know is I walk other cars that say they make damn near or over 700whp. Those are the only results I care about.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 AM
kristofer1995@gmail.
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be do-able. I have stock cam with 510 to the wheels, I've got some cool ported head thing made by a company that I forgot their name, catted xpipe and headers, and an intake; Also have a level 4 transmission built by rpm performance (not that that is adding power lol) and a tune.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:20 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Naws!!
My dude Evil always coming in hot! wanting to #spraytheworld 🤣👊🏻🇺🇸
VetteVinnie (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:30 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

550 on stock cam is unicom territory. Why the 550 benchmark, and why are you keeping the stock cam?

Stay with stock cam and do all the right supporting mods...be happy with the number you get.

Looking to keep some reliability with the stock cam perhaps? They arent as reliable as we would hope, as some had mentioned. Do something like a mild stage 1 cam from cam motion on their 8620 core, all the supporting mods, and likely hit your benchmark.

Quick Reply: 550RWHP stock cam?