Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Default electrical issue

Posted this in general but I guess it wouldn't hurt here too:

09 Z06, 11k miles, always on a battery tender on the original battery (not that it matters when it comes to the topic of replacing the battery). Wife and I go out to eat, car starts up like a champ like always, park it and come back out an hour later. We were both able to get into the car, the windows went up and then I hit the run button and nothing happened. No click from the starter, nothing. However, all the exterior/interior lights were on like they normally do when we hit start. Hitting the accessory switch didnt turn anything off or do anything. The car sat for 2 hours waiting for a tow and the lights actually stayed on for 2 hours before the battery gave up. Even when I shifted into reverse, the back up camera came on. Flat bed tow back home and onto today.

So the obvious, replace a battery that is 9 years old because the c6 acts bat **** crazy when the battery takes a dump. New battery, hook all the power up and the fobs work, the doors open, the trunk opens, the radio powers up. I hit the run button hear a **** ton of clicking everywhere and nothing. Now after this, the fobs dont work, the doors dont open but I can turn the headlamps on, turn the radio on (by using the latch in the rear to open the drivers door). I try reprogramming the fobs but it wont even go into learn mode.

Now I disconnect the negative battery terminal about 10 minutes ago. For ***** and giggles I reconnect it and guess what, the fobs work, the accessory position works but then I hit the run position and everthing goes to ****. Car goes bezerk and then im back to square one with nothing working (minus a few other things like headlamps, and the hatch assist).

Essentially when I hit start/run and it sends power to the starter, the car is done. The obvious is replace the starter, but why would a busted starter cause havoc on my electrical system? Maybe the ignition switch? But I dont see too many threads on them causing chaos
Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

My first thought is the battery is not fully charged and I don't know if a tender will charge a battery.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by exracer28
My first thought is the battery is not fully charged and I don't know if a tender will charge a battery.
I put a new battery in and its still doing the same thing. Guys on a z06 group on facebook said to check the starter wiring because I have headers. Thats first on the list tonight when I get it up in the air
Old 06-15-2018, 01:41 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
I put a new battery in and its still doing the same thing. Guys on a z06 group on facebook said to check the starter wiring because I have headers. Thats first on the list tonight when I get it up in the air
I always put a new battery on a charger for several hours before installing into the car. You never know how long it's been sitting idle.
The connection from the battery to the starter solenoid is definitely a problem area when headers are involved. The heat starts to crack the plastic at the connection area and that will cause what you are experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
ronniebfla (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:10 AM
ronniebfla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So 2009 3LT Z51 same thing.

The car would hesitate on the turn over as if to mimic a low battery. The problem has now returned and it’s like herpes this time it brought other issues. Gonna bring to dealer and see what rip off he wants to diagnose and find a permanent fix because I insulated the hell out of the connections between battery, starter snd did my best to keep the heat from cats snd headers away.

hopefully it’s nothing more.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

There is a chance that you've melted or damaged a wire (or it may have come loose) going from the fuse block to the starter. That is a very sensitive circuit, and ANY caddywhompus issues there will result in the issues you're experiencing. Take a look at the attachment...the wiring in your car should be the same. GM routes the alternator charging wire THROUGH the starter and a fusible link from the fuse block to the starter. If you've lost that fusible link, it would explain what you're dealing with.

Just my initial guess brother.
Attached Images
Old 11-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

I never posted the remedy, but it indeed was the starter. Even after NAPA tested the OEM starter and said it passed, I replaced it and no problems since then. I did wrap the living **** out of it with heat wrap. Looking at my original post, everything is good 2 years later.
The following users liked this post:
rajahhindi (11-08-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To electrical issue

Quick Reply: electrical issue