Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Shipping damage to my ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:06 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
I think the video is marked as private. It does not play for me.
Try it now
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 147 Posts

Definitely scrapped the splitter. Bush league hauler, but hey, you got your car, and it will work itself out. Nice color, by the way, I heartily approve!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

hope you paid by cc. I would contest the transaction and by a new splitter with the money. Send the damaged one to the shipper so they can recoup their money...
Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM
SalsZO6
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
hope you paid by cc. I would contest the transaction and by a new splitter with the money. Send the damaged one to the shipper so they can recoup their money...
Yeah I'm with Jackie Chan! If you paid with CC def file a claim and tell them to go pound sand! That's BS, no trained/experienced transport guy will attempt to even drive that car into that trailer without wood ramps/blocks. Hell I have called AAA tow truck drivers with flat beds that have done PERFECT jobs with some 2x4s. I would definitely finally a claim with the original company and if not then your CC bc I am sure filing a claim with these yahoos is going to be more of a fiasco. Goodluck!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

I paid by credit card. I'm going to wait until the car arrives here so I can assess the damage and see exactly what happened.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Ouch! That video made me cringe so much. I don't know how the hell he thought it was okay to continue after hearing those noises. Especially after when he let it roll forward. I feel for you bud. They should definitely be reimbursing you for this though so it will be as good as new in no time. It would've been much better if they at least removed the splitter before loading it. It's very easy to remove and can be done without jacking the car up.

I have a ZR1 splitter on my Z06 and I know how much of a pain it can be, but it can definitely be done with the proper equipment.

Last edited by Frankie15; 05-01-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Water under the bridge, but there is now way that trailer was equipped to safely load your car. I have a 24' ATC enclosed aluminum trailer with a beaver tail and loading door with the additional flap and I still have to use the long Race Ramps to safely load my car; using an 8,000lb winch and the splitter never touches. Too bad, the carrier company owes you a front splitter, IMO.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Absolute complete Monkeys!!! No clue what they're doing whatsoever.

I'm actually very surprised the person you bought it from allowed them to load it as they did, but I guess that's another story...

As others have said, file a claim with the transport company first for a new $2,000 splitter. Looking at the video, that thing is scrapped to chit on the underside, not cool since you didn't buy it that way.

I would not accept a penny less than the cost of a factory GM carbon fiber C6ZR1 splitter. Thankfully you have the CC transaction to dispute if it isn't resolved quickly. If they drag their feet in any way call your CC company!!! (It should be resolved in no more then a couple weeks)

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Congrats on the ZR1...
Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

The splitter can be removed, it is just held on by small hex head screws. The best way would be to have him pull forward enough to get a nut driver or small ratchet under to take them off. The underside of the splitter is actually unfinished and hollow. The lip curls under and then stops.

If you are not comfortable removing the splitter then you can try lifting the front of the trailer to change the angle of the ramp. I trailer my ZR1 to the track on an open deck trailer and have a set of Rhino Ramps that I back my truck's rear tires up onto to load and unload. This lifts the front of the trailer and lessens the angle of the ramps at the back of the trailer. I would still get some boards to put at the bottom of the ramp to help with the transition.

If they did scrape it up then they should pony up for a GM replacement. Though, I would clean up the scraped one as best as you can an leave it on the car and keep the new one as a backup.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Jesus! That's difficult to watch. Some people just dont understand how people love their cars. I once had someone toss a plastic bottle out of a window and hit my car and I went off on them. They proceeded to tell me it's only a car but you know I worked really hard to purchase it and its family to me and like I said some people just dont get it. I understand **** happens but come on. That's totally unacceptable and avoidable. Also I wonder how they strapped it down.

Last edited by 03BlkZ; 05-01-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

^

Worked for me just now.. Try again??

Sorry OP! Beautiful ride BTW!!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Very unfortunate they are a couple bafoons and didn't use any boards on the ground or under the trailer door to decrease the loading angle. At minimum you are owed an oem splitter. I'd try to keep the old one if you can for regular use. Have some boards around when the arrive for unloading. Some can be place under the gate when they drop it to decrease the angle and some on the ground to help the car travel a little more horizontally than vertically as it unloads.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
jeff7251954
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry Dan. Can you find a loading dock or a raised surface to unload? The car's safe till Thursday, so find the haulers a safe spot to unload.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Good news is you bought a dope *** ZR1! So congrats on that.....

but.....watching this video of a dope ZR1 that’s not mine getting crunched and scraped like that made me cringe everytime. I can only image how you felt when watching YOUR dope ZR1 get loaded like that. Good luck getting it off, document the entire process. I also assume a man who did enough right to be able to buy a sick ZR1 knows how to find a good lawyer too, hope it doesn’t come to that though.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

I'm going to file a claim with the shipper. It's just unfortunate that it even came to this. I don't know what else I could do. I'm very OCD about cars. I took every precaution I could, asked a bunch of questions and was pretty much lied to because that trailer and that driver that picked the car up were definitely not up to standard like I was told.

I'm also concerned for my wheels because from the picture it looks like he used a strap around the wheels to tie the car down.

I thought about trying to find a raised location to lessen the angle but I can't really think of any
Old 05-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Blue Devil 146
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
I'm going to file a claim with the shipper. It's just unfortunate that it even came to this. I don't know what else I could do. I'm very OCD about cars. I took every precaution I could, asked a bunch of questions and was pretty much lied to because that trailer and that driver that picked the car up were definitely not up to standard like I was told.

I'm also concerned for my wheels because from the picture it looks like he used a strap around the wheels to tie the car down.

I thought about trying to find a raised location to lessen the angle but I can't really think of any
When the trailer gets there, have them jack the tongue of the trailer as High as it can go to tilt the back of the tail gate. This will lessen the approach angle,I would still be ready with some 2x8 or 10's if you can to help lengthen the approach.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 PM
MOTOWN Z
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Watching that video made my stomach turn in knots! Clearly that clown has no business loading anyones car!

Once the car gets there I would immediately file a claim with the shipping company for a brand new splitter (OEM) and take it as a lesson learned next time I would wait if Reliable is backed up.

By the way Congrats on a Beautiful car!

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping damage to my ZR1

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Damn......That guy is a tool. Not sure I'd pay for shipping and the company would be buying another OEM splitter.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh my God, I could not watch the whole video those guys are complete butchers the incline on that ramp is way too high. these guys are definitely not professional and have not picked up or carried any type of low vehicle I would not be surprised if the rear facia was scraped as well.

Congrats on the new car, I don't mean to be a downer but I could not stomach what these guys did to that car it's just not right especially when you paid for them to get the car to you safely. good luck and keep us up-to-date hopefully the original company you booked with takes those losers off their speed dial

Last edited by Red Devil; 05-01-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 PM
chevyave
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a lesson to be learned by both the seller and buyer in regards to transportation companies. Saving a few dollars when transporting a car is not worth the heartache. I have purchased many cars nationwide and always make sure the transportation company uses a flat lift-gate to raise and lower the car from the transport vehicle. Average price per mile is $1.00 for an enclosed hauler of this type and is 100% worth the investment. You should spend as much time investigating transportation services as the car itself.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Shipping damage to my ZR1