Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Numbers are in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:23 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I agree... Other than that funky stocking cap he wears when its cold out..

stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door......

Originally Posted by Unreal
Carlos is a good guy. Got my first cam/tune setup from him. Ran that for years. Made 580rwhp with his cam, bone stock heads, stock untouched fast, stock TB, and small headers. He always knew how to get power out of these cars.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Damn good gains Matt.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:44 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
I'd love to know what contributed to the enormous increase in torque? Did the lighter clutch and MSD provide the most increase there? I have a Mamo ported MSD with heads/cam and only made about 487RWTQ. I'd love to just get over 500. But 540? Nice gains!
I'm curious too. I made 543/487 after a full heads/cam build. Install and tune were done at DRM. I thought I'd make a bit more but I don't think a lot of time went into tuning. It runs great tho. I had Pat G spec me a cam with 10 degrees more overlap than my current one that is a bit more aggressive than the TSP 2.2. I would like to go bigger but after seeing this thread I'm throwing around the idea of having it retuned by someone known for spending some quality time on it such as Carlos. Unfortunately I'm way up north on the ND/MN border.

By the way, nice power gains and sweet looking ride!

My current mods:

Callaway Honker
ported tb and MSD by Tony Mamo
AHP ported heads, no mill, 91 octane
BTR 2 - 230/246 .644/.630 115+4
ARH 2" headers
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
I'm curious too. I made 543/487 after a full heads/cam build. Install and tune were done at DRM. I thought I'd make a bit more but I don't think a lot of time went into tuning. It runs great tho. I had Pat G spec me a cam with 10 degrees more overlap than my current one that is a bit more aggressive than the TSP 2.2. I would like to go bigger but after seeing this thread I'm throwing around the idea of having it retuned by someone known for spending some quality time on it such as Carlos. Unfortunately I'm way up north on the ND/MN border.

My current mods:

Callaway Honker
ARH 2" headers
I will give you my thoughts on this. You are going to get a lot of variance among dyno numbers and a tune is not going to make that much difference in WOT whp. A tuner might find +/- 5 or 10 whp but that is about it. I suspect that if you put this car on a different dynojet then the results are going to be different.

I have am running almost the exact same setup as OP and I put down 563/502. My cam has the exact same overlap as the OP and a Mamo ported MSD.

To give you another example. I used another tuner a few years ago and my setup at that time had a cam with an overlap of 8 and the stock Intake and I made 580/510 on their dynojet. Clearly, this should not be the case. You have to take dyno numbers with a grain of salt.

Lets see what the OP does at WGF. He should run around 157 or 158 with his setup.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the new found power OH8Z06 !! Looks like money well spent.

Can I ask, who was your first tuner ? (PM if you like)

To those contemplating E85.... I picked up 5 rwhp on a 12-1 cr motor going from 93 to E85.

Strangely enough, it picked up 1.5 mph in the 1/8th mile.... but not really any ET. Weird stuff.

I do plan on bumping compression to over 13-1 next time I tear it apart.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:00 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

My current mods:

Callaway Honker
ARH 2" headers
We can try to re-tune it. I offer remote tuning options if you have the HP Tuner software.

I love doing this: use the SAME dyno (preferably similar weather conditions) as before so we can justify any possible gains.

From the outside, looking at your mods, the 2" headers are too big, but we can work with it.

Feel free to PM me, if we move forward, go to same dyno, strap it down, make a couple of passes, I will then re-tune and see what happens.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Carlos is a good guy. Got my first cam/tune setup from him. Ran that for years. Made 580rwhp with his cam, bone stock heads, stock untouched fast, stock TB, and small headers. He always knew how to get power out of these cars.
LOL - oh man...you're going way back. Those were the days

I'm still the same Carlos, but a little more subtle these days.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ahaha.

Tuning WOT is easy. Any trained monkey can get power out of a car. It is the idle, part throttle, cold starts, warm starts, etc that you need time and skill to tune. If you gain 20+rwhp from a tune, you either had a complete retard before, or significantly lowered the safety margin from before.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Carlos

I'm in Fort Worth next month. We should meet up and grab a beer. That goes for any Texas people.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
jayyyw (04-09-2018), Millenium Z06 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Carlos

I'm in Fort Worth next month. We should meet up and grab a beer. That goes for any Texas people.
Let us know when you are in town!

Last edited by FSTFRC; 04-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I will give you my thoughts on this. You are going to get a lot of variance among dyno numbers and a tune is not going to make that much difference in WOT whp. A tuner might find +/- 5 or 10 whp but that is about it. I suspect that if you put this car on a different dynojet then the results are going to be different.

I have am running almost the exact same setup as OP and I put down 563/502. My cam has the exact same overlap as the OP and a Mamo ported MSD.

To give you another example. I used another tuner a few years ago and my setup at that time had a cam with an overlap of 8 and the stock Intake and I made 580/510 on their dynojet. Clearly, this should not be the case. You have to take dyno numbers with a grain of salt.

Lets see what the OP does at WGF. He should run around 157 or 158 with his setup.
I believe Matt will do that 158 - 160 mph.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Let us know you are in town!
May 7-11. Fort Worth Area
FSTFRC (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Always one ney sayer in the crowd... It was just a matter of time. Its an "opinion" and you are surely entitled. We will indeed see what I do at the event and yes that is what matters.

Most of the comments in the thread are positive and not the "smoke and mirrors" numbers that you are indirectly or directly stating.

Most all of these individuals who have commented know these cars and know what it takes combination wise, tune wise to make these cars fast, safe.

To the guy contemplating using Carlos "remotely"... I'll guarantee 10+ HP over what you are making now if you allow Carlos to work his magic.. IF it doesn't I'll PP you $50!!!

Lambo... Are you willing to shoot the guy $50 if he makes 10+ over what he is making now? I'll bet not... These were NOT Dyno "tricks"... sure their are variables. weather,temp,humidity, deflating tires, etc.. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

SPDKLZ1... PM me for Carlos' cell number... You won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by lamboworld

Last edited by TXGS507; 04-09-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

PM sent...

I have seen your car run at Ennis.... Your'e running a 4L80E in your C6Z yes?

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
Congrats on the new found power OH8Z06 !! Looks like money well spent.

Can I ask, who was your first tuner ? (PM if you like)

To those contemplating E85.... I picked up 5 rwhp on a 12-1 cr motor going from 93 to E85.

Strangely enough, it picked up 1.5 mph in the 1/8th mile.... but not really any ET. Weird stuff.

I do plan on bumping compression to over 13-1 next time I tear it apart.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

One of the first things out of Carlos' mouth.... You want an "all out" tune or conservative. safe... I went with the latter and STILL made that power! I am confident that with some better injectors (FAST 85's) Carlos can sqqqueeeze a little more out of her.

Ahaha.
Tuning WOT is easy. Any trained monkey can get power out of a car. It is the idle, part throttle, cold starts, warm starts, etc that you need time and skill to tune. If you gain 20+rwhp from a tune, you either had a complete retard before, or significantly lowered the safety margin from before.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Fire us a PM when youre in town... Carlos can buy the beers

May 7-11. Fort Worth Area
Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Damn Joe... I was thinking 161-162

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
I believe Matt will do that 158 - 160 mph.
FSTFRC (04-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Numbers are in...

Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Always one ney sayer in the crowd... It was just a matter of time. Its an "opinion" and you are surely entitled. We will indeed see what I do at the event and yes that is what matters.

Most of the comments in the thread are positive and not the "smoke and mirrors" numbers that you are indirectly or directly stating.

Most all of these individuals who have commented know these cars and know what it takes combination wise, tune wise.

To the guy contemplating using Carlos "remotely"... I'll guarantee 10+ HP over what you are making now if you allow Carlos to work his magic.. IF it doesn't I'll PP you $50!!!

Lambo... Are you willing to shoot the guy $50 if he makes 10+ over what he is making now? I'll bet not... These were NOT Dyno "tricks"... sure their are variables. weather,temp,humidity, deflating tires, etc.. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

SPDKLZ1... PM me for Carlos' cell number... You won't be disappointed.
I don't doubt your results, but I assure you that one dyno to another dyno can have widely different results. I never said that your results were bogus or that any trickery took place because I don't think that is the case.

I am sure that if you come from a shitty tooner to a good tuner than it may be possible to get an increase of more than 10whp.

You should know by now that you cannot compare from one dyno to another one because there are just too many variables to take into account. There is a dynojet where I live that is known to be high and I can go there tomorrow and show you a dyno sheet with 30 more whp. What is the point though.

Your whp seem about right and your wtq is most likely an anomaly.

Although it really doesn't matter because that wtq isn't going to make you go any faster. I have a BMW that puts down almost 600wtq and my Z06 will smoke it, so it is really a moot point.

Last edited by lamboworld; 04-09-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:53 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
One of the first things out of Carlos' mouth.... You want an "all out" tune or conservative. safe... I went with the latter and STILL made that power! I am confident that with some better injectors (FAST 85's) Carlos can sqqqueeeze a little more out of her.
That's exact same way my car has been tuned by Carlos for the last six years in its various stages and has run well for what it is at the 1/2 mile

Last edited by FSTFRC; 04-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:53 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

My current mods:

Callaway Honker
ARH 2" headers
Rippie's dyno is stingy by at least 15/15 dynojet to dynojet. Tell me how I know. Been going up there for over 15 years not too mention other shops. His dyno does not give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling. Like stated, it is just a tool take it with a grain of salt. By the way, you have a very clean car and I thought it seemed to run pretty strong!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Numbers are in...