Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Beating the dead horse some more...tire question lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Beating the dead horse some more...tire question lol

Yes I know, it's been answered, but couldn't find any solid answers for my specific question.

I am at 560 whp, you know the intake headers and cam setup. I will never be drag racing the car, so that is completely out of the equation. My car is simply a fun street car.

I am looking to get rid of the junk bridgestones on the car and either replace with Michelin Pilot Super Sports or do a drag radial in the rear and the super sports up front. I would rather do the MPSS all around but if at 560 whp I'm not gonna be able ot hook at all with the MPSS then obviously I would go with the DR in the rear.

So will the MPSS hook from like a 20-30 roll once heated up, or at my power level is drag radials the only way to go. Basically I don't want to order the MPSS and not be able to hook at all from rolls and what not.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I too am at 560 ish to the tire. I went from the Sport Cups to the Nitto NT05R's... Love em..! Ran them at a 1/2 mi RR event back in Nov and they hooked nicely. Like you, I don't drag race my car.. Mostly a weekend cruiser, occasional run in Mexico. The NT05R's suit me just fine.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
I too am at 560 ish to the tire. I went from the Sport Cups to the Nitto NT05R's... Love em..! Ran them at a 1/2 mi RR event back in Nov and they hooked nicely. Like you, I don't drag race my car.. Mostly a weekend cruiser, occasional run in Mexico. The NT05R's suit me just fine.
What tire are you running in the front?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Slightly less than you at 537whp (GS, not a Z), I couldn't get any Michelin to hold in 1st, or even 2nd a lot of the time. I've had new run flats, non, and the stock GY's (junk). I

I switched to Toyo R888's on the rear, and they're great. Dead hook from a roll, and they handle fantastic, too. From what I've read, they do better on a road course over the Nitto NT05R too, not getting oily like the Nitto's.

I still have the MSSP's on the front, and I'm actually ordering a pair of Toyo's for the front today. No experience on wear yet, but we'll see...

FWIW, many have raved about the newer R888R's - stating their better than the R888 (less road noise, and better handling).

My opinion, worth what you paid for it...

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Yes I know, it's been answered, but couldn't find any solid answers for my specific question.

I am at 560 whp, you know the intake headers and cam setup. I will never be drag racing the car, so that is completely out of the equation. My car is simply a fun street car.

I am looking to get rid of the junk bridgestones on the car and either replace with Michelin Pilot Super Sports or do a drag radial in the rear and the super sports up front. I would rather do the MPSS all around but if at 560 whp I'm not gonna be able ot hook at all with the MPSS then obviously I would go with the DR in the rear.

So will the MPSS hook from like a 20-30 roll once heated up, or at my power level is drag radials the only way to go. Basically I don't want to order the MPSS and not be able to hook at all from rolls and what not.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Piston_Head
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running MPSS's with just over 570 to the wheels. Great overall tire, but definitely no traction from a dig. Still spinning from a roll.

Mine are a couple years old now, so I'm sure they are starting to harden.

I decided to go with a second set of wheels for 1/4's, 1/2's and goofing around and just keep the MPSS's for daily duty.

I was on the fence between the NT05R's, Hoosiers and ET Street R's and decided to give the ET Streets a try.

2 sets isn't ideal, but I decided it was the way to go. Just waiting for the snow to leave and I'll be able to try them out.

Later,
Brad
Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the MPSS on my ZR1 and as long as it is not too cold outside and the tires are warm they will always hook from a 20-30 mph roll. Fantastic tire.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

If your priority objective is off-the-line traction, get the DR's in back. MPSS are an incredible all-around tire, but you should expect them to spin a bit at that power. I can break mine loose easily at 500 RWHP, and sometimes wish I had a bit more traction at the lights.

With that said, I don't think I will personally sacrifice the overall handling of MPSS at all corners for a bit more straight line traction with DR rears. I rely on my car to be sticky on hard cornering often enough where I prefer having the confidence and predictability that the MPSS gives me over a DR. Also, consider that if its just a fun weekend car (as mine is), a little spin is actually fun! Not to mention less wear/tear on the drivetrain to allow a bit of spin versus a hard hook. MPSS is also incredibly budget friendly, as a kicker.

Last edited by LS1Steve; 02-07-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:39 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
If your priority objective is off-the-line traction, get the DR's in back. MPSS are an incredible all-around tire, but you should expect them to spin a bit at that power. I can break mine loose easily at 500 RWHP, and sometimes wish I had a bit more traction at the lights.

With that said, I don't think I will personally sacrifice the overall handling of MPSS at all corners for a bit more straight line traction with DR rears. I rely on my car to be sticky on hard cornering often enough where I prefer having the confidence and predictability that the MPSS gives me over a DR. Also, consider that if its just a fun weekend car (as mine is), a little spin is actually fun! Not to mention less wear/tear on the drivetrain to allow a bit of spin versus a hard hook. MPSS is also incredibly budget friendly, as a kicker.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Man, I'm in the minority here...
Just ordered the R888R's for my front..as the car under-steers too much with the MSPP's, so we'll if there's a difference.

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
I have the MPSS on my ZR1 and as long as it is not too cold outside and the tires are warm they will always hook from a 20-30 mph roll. Fantastic tire.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 02-07-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Man, I'm in the minority here...
Just ordered the R888R's for my front..as the car under-steers too much with the MSPP's, so we'll if there's a difference.
Being in the minority is not a bad thing, get your R888R's on there and come back and report what you find. Your likes and dislikes. As many have said the MPSS is a great tire but it is not perfect by any means.
Your findings just may influence a future buyers choice! Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Chiselchst (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

As has been said the PSS is a great street tire and gets very good treadwear if a street alignment is put on the car.It will not hook from a dig, but in 90* weather mine (600 rwhp) hooked in 2nd at 40 MPH.

The R888s I have are a street legal track tire and have much more grip than the PSS. The R888Rs are likely even more so (I'll soon buy R888Rs for the rear). They will grip once warm at least from a roll if not a dig. They will likely get less than 10K miles tread wear. Replacing the front PSS with R888Rs to match the rears will definitely reduce the understeer you are getting, street tire front, track tire rear = Understeer.

If you go DRs, do the NT05R at your power. The MT ET ss get squirrelly at about 140 and I'd not want to run them full out in 5th gear.
Chiselchst (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Piston_Head
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47

If you go DRs, do the NT05R at your power. The MT ET ss get squirrelly at about 140 and I'd not want to run them full out in 5th gear.
Might be interesting. I’m over the 140 mark in the 1/2 mile. Hopefully the MT ET R’s aren’t to bad on the big end.

Later,
Brad
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston_Head
Might be interesting. I’m over the 140 mark in the 1/2 mile. Hopefully the MT ET R’s aren’t to bad on the big end.

Later,
Brad
I was 160 in the half mile, which is why I won't run them in a mile or the upcoming Mojave Magnum 1 1/2 mile. I just ordered R888Rs for that event.

The NT 05Rs will grip fine at your power or mine.

Last edited by AzDave47; 02-07-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. Sound like a drag radial is the way to go. I really wanted to stay away from a drag radial as I don't want any problems with my drive train. For those that are running drag radials, have you had any drivetrain related problems from them hooking up too hard?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

No problems at all. I ran NT05Rs and did many rolls and digs with out a problem. I now have 17” ET street R and still have no problems breaking the drivetrain, although my clutch isn’t too happy. Obviously if you dump at 5k you’re bound to break something.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Another similar tire situation. I have a stock 2006 Z, and the tires on it are Michelin Pilot Sports RF, which are 6 years old. Car only has 13,700 miles, so the tread is great, but the tires are hard as bricks, and I can’t get much traction in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear at full throttle. My driving is just around town and no track racing, but I want better traction and ride quality. I’m thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport 2’s or Pilot Super Sports, in non run flats. Which of these will give me better traction? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Clayton

ps: I’m not too worried about tread life, as I don’t put a lot of miles on it.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m getting rid of my MPSS this weekend and not a moment too soon. 540whp and really haven’t been impressed with them, they spin from a dig and anything under a 2nd gear roll. I would do a drag radial personally.

Get notified of new replies

To Beating the dead horse some more...tire question lol

Old 02-08-2018, 09:04 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

MP SS...

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
What tire are you running in the front?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

NT05R's are perfect for RR... Also decent on the highway.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Here is a link to a thread I started, as it relates to my experiences recently (and I have two 700hp vehicles... one runs R888Rs, the other NT05Rs).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-car-zr1.html

Personally, I would not run the ET Street DRs, _unless_ I was drag racing at the strip. Too much sidewall flex for _me_, driving the car enthusiastically on the street/country roads.

The NT05R is a great DR. It doesn't offer the Nth degree of hook that the ET Street does, but it also has much less compromise for daily fun on the street. I have run these exclusively on my TT C5Z, and they are outstanding tires. No issues on the streets/highways for me, and hook very well...2nd gear roll in my car, with the power it has.

I decided to try the R888R on my ZR1 because, well, it isn't a drag car...certainly wasn't designed to be, and I was hoping they would hook well in a power-on, acceleration romp, but also provide the ability to make this car handle/brake like it was designed to. For me, these tires have nailed it. Granted, ive only got about 500 miles on them, but they seem perfect for what I desire/need out of the car.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 02-08-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Chiselchst (02-08-2018)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Beating the dead horse some more...tire question lol