Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Considering Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 688 Posts

My tuner had a Gen 6 ZL1 and I was not impressed with it.. I drove it once and it swayed and rode harsh on the tollway. Seats and infotainment center were nice but other than that, not worth the money, IMO.. He lost the car in an accident. Not sure he will replace it with another or something different. Trying to talk him into an IO ZR1 to match his Carbon Z07 C6z.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 PM
ranch41
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My intent is to just use it as a casual toy for whatever enjoyment as I wish. Nothing serious but if I can get a couple of decent track days for something less than a $1K that would be great. Or just run some errands without worrying about someone scratching or parking near, or tailgating me.

Originally Posted by jayyyw
My tuner had a Gen 6 ZL1 and I was not impressed with it.. I drove it once and it swayed and rode harsh on the tollway. Seats and infotainment center were nice but other than that, not worth the money, IMO.. He lost the car in an accident. Not sure he will replace it with another or something different. Trying to talk him into an IO ZR1 to match his Carbon Z07 C6z.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:02 AM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ranch41
Some pictures of my house. My bedroom where we were napping.
Holy Cow!! You all were extremely lucky to get out of your home in time. There is definitely luck on your side! I wish you and yours the best in getting your life back to normal during this holiday season. Good things will come to you in the new year.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Chrp 3rd
Instructor

So I was my local dealership picking up some new rear hatch struts and asked the parts guy what was hot. He said I should check out the Camaro ZL1 out front. Started it up in track mode and was hooked on the sound. Looked a little deeper into the hp and tq specs and saw that they put a C7 Z06 supercharged engine in there.

Anyway, that was Black Friday and now I am totally obsessed with getting a new toy to play with. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Carbon and even did the head correction recently in anticipation of keeping her but just looking for a little change up. Anybody else consider the Camaro ZL1?
I purchased a 2017 ZL1 A10. I recently sold the car to buy an 09 ZR1 with 2k miles. I love the vette but i definitely have sellers remorse. I know some of the vette guys are gonna try and hang me for saying this but the ZL1 was far better of a car. More user friendly, rode 10X better and was actually faster. The A10 Auto is the way to go. I drove both the Manual and auto and the 10 speed is freaking awesome. The car also shift like and Indy car when your in it at full throttle and using the paddle shift. Went to a Cars and coffee with some friends. We convoyed together. There was a new viper, 458 Ferrari Italian, and an GT3 RS Porsche and neither of them could hang. It truely is the best car I’ve ever owned and driven. I did get tired of hearing “ It’s still a Camaro”. I think the Camaro engineers out did the C7 guys in my opinion
Old 12-14-2017, 12:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrp 3rd
I think the Camaro engineers out did the C7 guys in my opinion
Agreed. The C7 ZR1 is a culmination of "lessons learned" IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I purchased a 2017 ZL1 A10. I recently sold the car to buy an 09 ZR1 with 2k miles. I love the vette but i definitely have sellers remorse. I know some of the vette guys are gonna try and hang me for saying this but the ZL1 was far better of a car. More user friendly, rode 10X better and was actually faster. The A10 Auto is the way to go. I drove both the Manual and auto and the 10 speed is freaking awesome. The car also shift like and Indy car when your in it at full throttle and using the paddle shift. Went to a Cars and coffee with some friends. We convoyed together. There was a new viper, 458 Ferrari Italian, and an GT3 RS Porsche and neither of them could hang. It truely is the best car I’ve ever owned and driven. I did get tired of hearing “ It’s still a Camaro”. I think the Camaro engineers out did the C7 guys in my opinion
Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Agreed. The C7 ZR1 is a culmination of "lessons learned" IMO.
That pretty much sums it up for me too. The ZL1 is the real deal and is a better track car than the C7Z because team Camaro simply executed the mission better than team Corvette. I hope, and believe, that the ZR1 will more than make up for the shortcomings of the C7Z06.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (12-25-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 PM
ranch41
Advanced

OK, so got me a replacement iPad ($1,000 ) and am slowly getting back to business. The 65” TV was melted on the back so I think that’s gone also. Dealing with insurance, county, and electrician is taking up my time as well as trying to salvage stuff. I just had 2,000 rounds of .44 special and .44 mag stored in the house when it caught fire. The fire guys saved a lot of it and were impressed. For those outside of Calif, on January 1, 2018, we can no longer buy ammo online and it must be in person, so yeah I was FREAKING out. But at least no one was injured. And don’t get me started on the “ambulance” chasers who stop by asking if they can represent us against the insurance co. for 10%.

Anyways rant over. I did manage a break yesterday and test drove the A10. I have to say I was quite impressed as I had a paddle shifter on my first C6 but would redline it because it wouldn’t shift quick enough. I told the wife if she wanted, I could deal with an automatic. She can drive either and told me to get which ever I wanted. I am leaning towards the manual but have to give the A10 it’s props.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad you got a break from all the turmoil with the home.

The A10 is light years ahead of the A6 and much better than the A8, as well. I drove it and liked it, but decided on a 470 mile, next to new, ZR1 for about the same $$. But the ZL1 is a sweet car, no doubt about it.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Glad you made it out okay!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree the Camaro's today are great cars in many respects. I love my Z06 and have never owned a ZR1 but would like to one day. Like you said people don't understand what GM has done when they say " Its still a Camaro". The ZL1 is an awesome machine, and the new COPO Camaro's which are not street legal are monster drag cars from the factory as shown in this video
. It will be good to see track times with the new C7 ZR1.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

OK, so got me a replacement iPad ($1,000 ) and am slowly getting back to business. The 65” TV was melted on the back so I think that’s gone also. Dealing with insurance, county, and electrician is taking up my time as well as trying to salvage stuff. I just had 2,000 rounds of .44 special and .44 mag stored in the house when it caught fire. The fire guys saved a lot of it and were impressed. For those outside of Calif, on January 1, 2018, we can no longer buy ammo online and it must be in person, so yeah I was FREAKING out. But at least no one was injured. And don’t get me started on the “ambulance” chasers who stop by asking if they can represent us against the insurance co. for 10%.

Anyways rant over. I did manage a break yesterday and test drove the A10. I have to say I was quite impressed as I had a paddle shifter on my first C6 but would redline it because it wouldn’t shift quick enough. I told the wife if she wanted, I could deal with an automatic. She can drive either and told me to get which ever I wanted. I am leaning towards the manual but have to give the A10 it’s props.
Good to hear you are getting back to some normalcy..

My Son bought a new 2017 SS with the A8, and he's already been to the dealer multiple times with issues at 25,000 miles..

You just have to think about the logistics here.. Putting that much torque and horsepower behind an auto with 8 speeds, much less 10, with Linimar building them, with the cost constraints involved (there won't be any billet cases, or high quality gear sets), I think to expect an auto mass-produced from GM to live for any reasonable amount of time might be wishful thinking.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:02 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

My Son bought a new 2017 SS with the A8, and he's already been to the dealer multiple times with issues at 25,000 miles..

You just have to think about the logistics here.. Putting that much torque and horsepower behind an auto with 8 speeds, much less 10, with Linimar building them, with the cost constraints involved (there won't be any billet cases, or high quality gear sets), I think to expect an auto mass-produced from GM to live for any reasonable amount of time might be wishful thinking.
I think the concern over failure can be applied to virtually any component. Sure, some parts are more time tested, such as the manual trans, but only until a bean counter says "lets save 10 cents a piece on this part".

A relative of mine watched a much thinner material replace the core of the radiators on a very popular vehicle. Reason? Less material, cost savings and reduced weight.

An auto will do better with resale, for the masses. Everyone can drive an auto. (full disclosure, I own 3 manuals).

Last edited by WideVette; 12-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:24 PM
ranch41
Advanced

THANKS. I have been on the Camaro gen 6 forum as probably your son has and as with any car, there are common problems. With the C6Z06 it’s the heads and from what I read on the forum, for the gen 6 it’s the hard manual launches. Apparently, the TC backs off the timing on a hard launch and makes the car appear to bog. Others have tuned out the bog but that voids the warranty. I am looking for a 2018 so hopefully GM corrected that. But like our Vette, GM has not admitted there is a problem.

So with the problems of the Vette and now the Camaro why get one? Because I always wanted one and am willing to accept it’s faults. BTW, just got pre-approved financing and they want to complete the deal by 2/7/18 or they will have to resubmit the credit request. And that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Just did a track day at Thunderhill Raceway yesterday and a ZL1 1LE was in the advanced group with me. I've been wanting to run against one of these to see if the new Camaro really lived up to all the hype and they do. The owner of the Camaro had sold his Porsche (don't know which model) that he tracked and bought this Camaro because he said it was 1/2 the price and just as fast. This was his 3rd track day with it and he was still trying to get use to driving it compared to his much lighter Porsche. He thought his Porsche was a lot easier to drive fast and so far the Camaro was giving him a real work out driving fast. He was beating me in my C6Z by about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds a lap. Impressive for such a heavy car. And for those interested it was a manual and it did not overheat.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:59 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm glad you got out of your home ok during the fire! That's some pretty scary stuff for sure, no to mention the loss of keepsakes. Good luck with getting everything back on track and hope you can still enjoy the holiday season too! Have fun with the pursuit of a ZL1...I think it'll be a fun addition!!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:50 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

THANKS. I have been on the Camaro gen 6 forum as probably your son has and as with any car, there are common problems. With the C6Z06 it’s the heads and from what I read on the forum, for the gen 6 it’s the hard manual launches. Apparently, the TC backs off the timing on a hard launch and makes the car appear to bog. Others have tuned out the bog but that voids the warranty. I am looking for a 2018 so hopefully GM corrected that. But like our Vette, GM has not admitted there is a problem.

So with the problems of the Vette and now the Camaro why get one? Because I always wanted one and am willing to accept it’s faults. BTW, just got pre-approved financing and they want to complete the deal by 2/7/18 or they will have to resubmit the credit request. And that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
My friend that owns the '17 ZL1 6-speed says that GM is coming out with a "drag racing tune" for the suspension. It's something like $395 and is supposed to address the issues with manual launches. I didn't ask any more details because I don't have a ZL1...
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM
ranch41
Advanced

OK, so I think I have a live one on the line! For those in the in the Nor Cal area, I am going with Able Chevrolet in Rio Vista based on my experience and the recommendations of you guys on this forum. I have appointment for the 27th to meet with Derek Able to get the ball rolling. Wish me luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Camaro ZL1

Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

OK, so I think I have a live one on the line! For those in the in the Nor Cal area, I am going with Able Chevrolet in Rio Vista based on my experience and the recommendations of you guys on this forum. I have appointment for the 27th to meet with Derek Able to get the ball rolling. Wish me luck!
In good hands with Able...
Old 12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
In good hands with Able...
Abel will take care of you. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
ranch41
Advanced

So here’s a quick update. I kept my appointment with Derek and ordered a fully loaded ZL1 in Mosaic Black without the moonroof. Also, after much research and consideration I have decided to apply CQuartz ceramic coating to preserve the paint and hopefully reduce the damage of living up a dirt road. I also opted for the M6 because I prefer the control of a manual but if the A10 were the only option, I wouldn’t have been disappointed.

We had a great Christmas, my birthday, and New Year. As far as the house is concerned, we went from a two story 1900 Sq ft farm house to a 240 sq ft RV. On the other hand, we are progressing in the re-build process and believe it or not the insurance company has been very responsive. With the fires in So Cal and Napa, I am sure we are small fish.

Anyway, I thank you guys for all of the positive comments and wishes. When this is all over we will have a brand new custom built house and of course I will have my “toys”. Take care everyone in the New Year!!

Quick Reply: Considering Camaro ZL1