Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Considering Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ranch41
For an important decision like that you should put the Carbon in storage for 6 months and drive the ZL1, then after 6 months if you still are tired of the IO give it to your kid. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. A couple years ago I felt the same way about mine and a co-worker reminded me that once you get your hands on a car like a Carbon, you should never let it go. I THANK that guy every time I look at my car.
I hear you. Back during the original gas crisis I damn near sold my avatar car ('70 Z28) to get a new import. I was given an insulting offer for trade-in and I walked out. On the way to my car, a salesman standing outside looked at my Z28 and said "Why would you sell that?". I smiled and said "Actually, I'm not.". I look back at that moment and wonder how the hell I even got to the point of setting foot on the car lot. That car continues to be a huge source of joy to this day. I would have died feeling like a fool if I hadn't come to my senses.

That's in no way meant to criticize anybody's decision to sell any car, it just illustrates how quickly perspectives can change.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 AM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I was my local dealership picking up some new rear hatch struts and asked the parts guy what was hot. He said I should check out the Camaro ZL1 out front. Started it up in track mode and was hooked on the sound. Looked a little deeper into the hp and tq specs and saw that they put a C7 Z06 supercharged engine in there.

Anyway, that was Black Friday and now I am totally obsessed with getting a new toy to play with. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Carbon and even did the head correction recently in anticipation of keeping her but just looking for a little change up. Anybody else consider the Camaro ZL1?
The new ZL1 is a nice car, I say go for it and keep your Carbon. I purchased a 2013 Gen 5 Camaro ZL1 in 2013 and love the car.
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Do what makes you happy. They out everything a C6 Z06 stock for stock. They do look much more meaner and aggressive than an SS. The lure is are you a hardcore Z06 Corvette guy or want something more modern, faster, with more tech and better handling? The LS7 still keeps hardcore guys feel alive behind the wheel. Still crude, raw and makes no apologies if it bites you if you are not careful. Especially modded. If I could afford to add a new ZL1 as a DD would I get one? Absolutely!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 AM
ranch41
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So anyway life just took a $hit on me. Sunday afternoon I laid down and awoke to our house on fire. Got out with my shorts and cell. IPad, keys, clothe, Christmas presents, everything in the house was lost due to fire, smoke, water damage. I still have my tools in the barn and the Vette was parked in an detached garage but everything else is gone.

I don't know if my future will allow for this or not but I'm thankful no one is hurt. Anyway, Sunday morning I thinking I was a lucky guy to have to decide if I should get a Camaro and tonight I'm trying to piece my life back.

​​​​​​​PS-Any fire fighters out there, THANKS and God bless you for all you do.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 AM
ranch41
Advanced

So anyway life just took a $hit on me. Sunday afternoon I laid down and awoke to our house on fire. Got out with my shorts and cell. IPad, keys, clothe, Christmas presents, everything in the house was lost due to fire, smoke, water damage. I still have my tools in the barn and the Vette was parked in an detached garage but everything else is gone.

I don't know if my future will allow for this or not but I'm thankful no one is hurt. Anyway, Sunday morning I thinking I was a lucky guy to have to decide if I should get a Camaro and tonight I'm trying to piece my life back.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:47 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW... prayers for your sir... many do not know how much you lose in a fire even with full insurance coverage there are so many irreplaceble things but glad no one was injured.

man i feel your pain we had a house burn flat to the ground. we lived out in the country and the fire fighters put it out ... the first time... it had celluloid insulation blown in and it reflashed in the middle of the night and no one was there there to call the fire dept.

good luck sir.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow man, so sad to hear....hang in there, things will get better!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

So sorry to hear this, but glad to hear everyone is OK.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm a fire fighter and see this type of devastation way too often. Sad to see people lose all of their belongings and memorabilia. Thankfully no one was hurt. Stay positive and now to the rebuilding process.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Best wishes to you and the family!! Do you know what caused the fire?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

OMG, so sorry to hear this. Between dealing with the insurance company and trying to get repairs done, you're going to be very busy. Best wishes getting through it all. At least nobody was hurt and your Vette survived. Hang in there.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock for stock they are dead equal cars in both straight line and on the track. Low to mid 120 trap speed cars and both extremely capable on the track. I personally hate the looks of the ZL1 so I would never consider it, but in terms of bang for your buck it's definitely one of the best buys out there. I personally would never give up my Z for it.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:53 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Stock for stock they are dead equal cars in both straight line and on the track. Low to mid 120 trap speed cars and both extremely capable on the track. I personally hate the looks of the ZL1 so I would never consider it, but in terms of bang for your buck it's definitely one of the best buys out there. I personally would never give up my Z for it.
Wrong. The regular ZL1 stomps on a regular non Z07 Z06 at the Ring. 0-60 have data'd as low as 3.3-3.5. Z06 3.7 avg. No launch control.

1/4 mile 11.7 on regular tires is amazing on a stock c6Z

Have seen on the net on Camaro 6, many guys running 11.3/ 11.4

I said I would add one but not swap out for one. If you drove one or saw one beside you they are NOT generic looking. Amazing Chevrolet performance. Last 2 gen vettes can't hang with it except a C6 ZR1. That's technology for ya.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Wrong. The regular ZL1 stomps on a regular non Z07 Z06 at the Ring. 0-60 have data'd as low as 3.3-3.5. Z06 3.7 avg. No launch control.

I said I would add one but not swap out for one. If you drove one or saw one beside you they are NOT generic looking. Amazing Chevrolet performance. Last 2 gen vettes can't hang with it except a C6 ZR1. That's technology for ya.
Some guy on the forum just put a bone stock one on stock tires into the tens. 10.94/128 mph. Automatic. Go to the Camaro6 forum ZL1 section and there is a video of the run and lots of conversation about it. I have a 13' ZR1 as well and the ZL1 feels as fast as the ZR1.

Last edited by jbp8653; 12-11-2017 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM
ranch41
Advanced

Uh and trying decide what features to get on my Camaro!

BTW-we think it was started by our pellet stove.

Originally Posted by Les
OMG, so sorry to hear this. Between dealing with the insurance company and trying to get repairs done, you're going to be very busy. Best wishes getting through it all. At least nobody was hurt and your Vette survived. Hang in there.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am so sorry to hear of this Ranch41, this is devastating. I'm glad you and your family members were able to get out of the house in time. The fire season this year in California has been unbelievable, peoples lives are completely turned upside down. This is a big concern for me...and I think about it a lot, it can happen anywhere at anytime in this state.

I wish you the best in rebuilding and getting your life back where it was.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6

Completely wrong. Both cars in manual is a drivers race. If you look at the Z on drag radials and no other mods it traps high 120's which i what the ZL1 is seeing on drag radials. Quarter mile times are suoper similar and from a roll race is would be a drivers race with the Z definitely getting it on the top end.

On a road course, the non 1LE would be similar to the Z as well. The Z put down 7.22 on the Nurbgring. Stock for stock these cars would be a good race. The power to weight ratio is about 6.1 on both cars, which tells you manual vs manual is a drivers race.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Camaro ZL1

Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 PM
ranch41
Advanced

Some pictures of my house. My bedroom where we were napping.
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2017, 12:37 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Go buy a lottery ticket...you are very lucky. And what in the heck are those satellite dishes made out of...
Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 PM
ranch41
Advanced

My wife’s sentiments exactly. She always thought they were such an eyesore and of everything that was destroyed she is unspeakably disappointed that those didn’t go up in flames!

Quick Reply: Considering Camaro ZL1