Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tunnel heat fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM
kenstout
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ['13Z06]Tunnel heat fix?

The two things that drive me crazy about this car is the road noise from the back of it and the extreme tunnel Heat. After just 20 to 30 minutes the tunnel is so hot against my right leg that I have no desire to drive it one mile further. Is it better to insulate from the bottom of the car or remove the carpet and put something on the top side? Or both?
I can't put anything in the cup holders unless it's coffee that I want to keep warm. It will make a bottle of water so hot that it's not drinkable in a short span of time.

Last edited by kenstout; 10-06-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

What tires are you running? Mine was very loud on Goodyears. Not nearly as loud on MPSS (non runflat).
When installing my MGW shifter, I put a large piece of insulation under the console/carpet of the tunnel.

I helped immensely with the heat. Coins in the console used to get almost too hot to hold. Now they're just a little warm.

I've read mixed reviews on the insulation that sticks on to the tunnel plate and insulation blanket type things that wrap around the exhaust. But I may still try one in the future.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM
kenstout
Advanced

I agree, there are so many different opinions on all the different items that go under the car and this seems as though it would be the simplest solution but was concerned if the carpet would still fit under the console. Thanks for the tip.
ks
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I purchased a "blockit" for the road noise coming from the back of the car. It really helped a lot. I also have a Lloyds cargo mat sitting on top of the blockit as well.

I haven't done anything for the excessive tunnel heat yet........
The following users liked this post:
TKO Performance (10-08-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:28 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

When I had HCI work done with headers, catted x-pipe and B&B Fusions I had the factory tunnel plate replaced with an Elite Engineering tunnel plate which is ceramic coated on one side and then DEI insulation on the other. This option requires dropping the mid-pipe but cooled things down in the cabin to lower than stock. I am pleased, but this won't help with road noise, my fusions take care of that !
Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by AzDave47
When I had HCI work done with headers, catted x-pipe and B&B Fusions I had the factory tunnel plate replaced with an Elite Engineering tunnel plate which is ceramic coated on one side and then DEI insulation on the other. This option requires dropping the mid-pipe but cooled things down in the cabin to lower than stock. I am pleased, but this won't help with road noise, my fusions take care of that !
Looks good to me! With the topside and bottom side done it should be MUCH better!

TY
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I like cheap so I got a hot water tank insulation kit and put that under my carpet.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 PM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I like cheap so I got a hot water tank insulation kit and put that under my carpet.
Haha, good idea! I actually have some heat mat stuff from a previous race car so I'm gonna use that.

ks
Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kenstout
I agree, there are so many different opinions on all the different items that go under the car and this seems as though it would be the simplest solution but was concerned if the carpet would still fit under the console. Thanks for the tip.
ks
I was worried about that too. Mine was 1/8" inch insulation as opposed to the 1/4" pictured. It went down the sides of the carpet and tucked in just fine. Once you take it all apart and see how the carpet is just tucked into the console, it's no problem at all. Could have probably used more, but it worked out great.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:34 PM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
I was worried about that too. Mine was 1/8" inch insulation as opposed to the 1/4" pictured. It went down the sides of the carpet and tucked in just fine. Once you take it all apart and see how the carpet is just tucked into the console, it's no problem at all. Could have probably used more, but it worked out great.
Ok great! Thx for the follow up
Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed the vettenutts insulation kit and also put some heat blocking material I bought from JEGS under the car and around the tunnel. Pretty much took all the heat out of the car unless driving real long distance. Even than its probably 80% less heat. I also have the block it kit but not sure that was worth the money as I couldn't tell that much of a difference in the sound myself.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:15 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

If you had a 2012 or 2013 you have two extra cats right under the floor well, put a Corsa x-pipe in and remove those cats for the heat if nonetheless.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:43 PM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigVette427
If you had a 2012 or 2013 you have two extra cats right under the floor well, put a Corsa x-pipe in and remove those cats for the heat if nonetheless.
I do have a 2013 so this is great info! I can change that while I have the mid pipe off and put some heat shield in at the same time.

Many thanks!!

KS

BTW, I have a pic of my car in my profile but it doesn't appear in any of the threads, not sure why.

thx again!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:44 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The heat was bothering me to(2012 ZR1 with 4 cats). I have the Elite plate with insulation + insulate the other side of the plate with the blanket sold by Cajun (vendor on the forum) + complete kit of insulation from Vettenut + a layer of dampening material all over the interior. My right leg doesn't toast anymore even with a long ride the cup holder will warm your bottle of water but much less and it will take way more time. the stuff in the center console will get less hot but after a few hours, you could be surprise by any metalic objet in there. I bought a travel buddy (cup holder) and my water bottle stay ok for quit long now. All these also cut some noise, I still have to do my doors but all of this gave me very good improvement overall.

Last edited by The boss; 10-06-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Shortly after arriving home from the 5500 mile test drive, I searched for a solution. I think it was Crazy Cowboy in FL where I bought a pre-cut insulation kit and a hatch divider. The wife thought I was the crazy one when I ripped out the entire interior of our new car to install it. When it was done, she loved it as much as me. It cut the heat and sound by a bunch, which made the car feel more solid.
I've since helped a couple friends do their cars with the same 1/4" foil covered bubble wrap insulation. Find it at HD, Lowe's, etc.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:05 AM
kenstout
Advanced

I ordered the blockit 3 piece kit but would really like to remove the rear carpet and put something under it first. not sure how it comes out just yet. Did a youtube search but nothing there. Im sure I can figure it out. A full size partition makes sense to me in both climate control and noise as long as I can see through it in the rearview but I really havent seen an option for that anywhere yet.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 AM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by The boss
The heat was bothering me to(2012 ZR1 with 4 cats). I have the Elite plate with insulation + insulate the other side of the plate with the blanket sold by Cajun (vendor on the forum) + complete kit of insulation from Vettenut + a layer of dampening material all over the interior. My right leg doesn't toast anymore even with a long ride the cup holder will warm your bottle of water but much less and it will take way more time. the stuff in the center console will get less hot but after a few hours, you could be surprise by any metalic objet in there. I bought a travel buddy (cup holder) and my water bottle stay ok for quit long now. All these also cut some noise, I still have to do my doors but all of this gave me very good improvement overall.
thx boss, Im gonna check out some of the items you've listed here. I dont track the car so I dont need additional tunnel plate support but the heat has to be fixed or the car will be replaced with a '16 or newer Cadi V.
getting rid of the 4 cats will be huge and I do have some very good heat mat product laying in the shop so Ill pull the current tunnel plate off and dress it up nicely. The combination of that and some insulation on top should do the trick.
thank you for the info! Still kicking myself for not buying a ZL!

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel heat fix?

Old 10-08-2017, 02:44 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Shortly after arriving home from the 5500 mile test drive, I searched for a solution. I think it was Crazy Cowboy in FL where I bought a pre-cut insulation kit and a hatch divider. The wife thought I was the crazy one when I ripped out the entire interior of our new car to install it. When it was done, she loved it as much as me. It cut the heat and sound by a bunch, which made the car feel more solid.
I've since helped a couple friends do their cars with the same 1/4" foil covered bubble wrap insulation. Find it at HD, Lowe's, etc.
Crazy Cowboy at Exoticvette (.com) has a great pre-cut kit for heat and sound reduction.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AzDave47
on the Elite engineering tunnel plate, but you left out the part where it is literally twice as thick than the factory one. 1/8" vs 1/4" so it does stiffen the chassis that much more.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:03 AM
kenstout
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Crazy Cowboy at Exoticvette (.com) has a great pre-cut kit for heat and sound reduction.
Yes I saw it yesrerday on his site. Said it could be do e in 5 to 8 hours but Im thinking a couple days 😀 guess Im getting older

Quick Reply: Tunnel heat fix?