Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tunnel heat fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:49 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kenstout
thx boss, Im gonna check out some of the items you've listed here. I dont track the car so I dont need additional tunnel plate support but the heat has to be fixed or the car will be replaced with a '16 or newer Cadi V.
getting rid of the 4 cats will be huge and I do have some very good heat mat product laying in the shop so Ill pull the current tunnel plate off and dress it up nicely. The combination of that and some insulation on top should do the trick.
thank you for the info! Still kicking myself for not buying a ZL!
The blanket sold by Cajun (now EDGYVETTE) can be install on the OEM tunel plate so you dont have to replace it you may buy 2 and stick one on each side of the place
Old 10-08-2017, 11:55 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenstout
Yes I saw it yesrerday on his site. Said it could be do e in 5 to 8 hours but Im thinking a couple days 😀 guess Im getting older
5 to 8 hours is for someone who did it a few time, better take your time and dont do any damages. You will spend some time refitting the carpet and all the trims as these part where made for the carpet thikness, adding about a 1/4 inch will make the re-installation a little challenging if you want it to look the same as factory.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
on the Elite engineering tunnel plate, but you left out the part where it is literally twice as thick than the factory one. 1/8" vs 1/4" so it does stiffen the chassis that much more.
I can't say I notice the chassis stiffer, but the tunnel and cabin are cooler even with the HCI than with all OEM and that was my reason for install, any chassis stiffening is a bonus ( I do run road course events).
Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the crazy cowboy kit in my Z06 and have to say that the cheap insulation from home depot works way better for the heat and that the dynamat I placed in the trunk area and behind the seats and under the seats truly trumps all when combined with each other. My car is straight piped with 2" headers and it's loud inside but you can hear a passenger and don't feel deaf after driving it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I had the crazy cowboy kit in my Z06 and have to say that the cheap insulation from home depot works way better for the heat and that the dynamat I placed in the trunk area and behind the seats and under the seats truly trumps all when combined with each other. My car is straight piped with 2" headers and it's loud inside but you can hear a passenger and don't feel deaf after driving it.
What cheap insulation from Home Depot are you guys speaking of specifically? Anyone have a picture or SKU# for those of us curious but not sure what brand, thickness, quantity, etc.

Also on another note.. those of you who have bought and installed the Crazy Cowboy(exotic vettes) precut insulation kits which kit did you go with? Base insulation kit or the Extreme insulation kit? I see the base kit is 5 lbs whereas the extreme is 15 lbs.

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Last edited by heavychevy357; 10-09-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy357
What cheap insulation from Home Depot are you guys speaking of specifically? Anyone have a picture or SKU# for those of us curious but not sure what brand, thickness, quantity, etc.

Also on another note.. those of you who have bought and installed the Crazy Cowboy(exotic vettes) precut insulation kits which kit did you go with? Base insulation kit or the Extreme insulation kit? I see the base kit is 5 lbs whereas the extreme is 15 lbs.

Thanks in advance 👍🏻
It was just the insulation kit for a water heater tank. Been years since I bought it so I don't remember which one I went with.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:55 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The vettenuts extreme kit is about 9 pounds . 2 years ago, i got it in promo at 299 (black friday if I remember writh) and I think it was free shipping(not sure) it was a very complete kit and they trow a bunch of left over pieces in case you want to add some in other places. Is it better than the kit from exoticvette??? I cant say, can only speak from my own experience

Last edited by The boss; 10-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,154 Likes on 619 Posts

here is a heat insulation that sticks on the factory tunnel brace.... dont know how good it is though

https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Interested if anyone has compared the Crazy Cowboy insulation kit to the Vettenuts insulation kit. Want to go with one of the upgraded kits.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Cesar@TPS
Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

We have a great solution for the heat problem and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Name:  web_z-cool-3-600x450.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  img_2965_2.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  90.6 KB

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...nel-plate.html
Old 10-10-2017, 07:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 427C62013A
Interested if anyone has compared the Crazy Cowboy insulation kit to the Vettenuts insulation kit. Want to go with one of the upgraded kits.
I compared the Crazy Cowboy kit I installed in 2008 with the Home Depot insulation that I helped my friend install in his Vette in 2014 for about 1/3 the cost. It's essentially the same insulation, but the CC kit is precut with instructions. If you'd feel up to laying carpet on a circular staircase, then DIY. You'll need spray adhesive and 2" aluminum tape either way.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Travlee
here is a heat insulation that sticks on the factory tunnel brace.... dont know how good it is though

https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
This look like the one I bought from Cajun (edgyvette) You can stick one on each side of the plate and it will still be affordable. Keep in mind you will have to remove the exaust pipe and the plate if you whant to stick one on each side

Quick Reply: Tunnel heat fix?