Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve dropped and extended warranty is denying me, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve dropped and extended warranty is denying me, help!!

My valve dropped in my 2008 C6 Z06. I've been dealing with the biggest nightmare trying to get my extended warranty to cover my engine for the past 3 weeks. The car is almost completely stock besides I have cut outs before the mufflers, but AFTER the catalytic converters. The extended warranty has denied me, and I have no idea what to do and can barely think clearly at this point. I've heard it is illegal to deny coverage due to an aftermarket exhaust system. Please HELP!!

The Z06 only has 22k miles on her.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Platinum warranty that says "coverage includes all items excluding those listed on this brochure in the "What's Not Covered" section." In that section the only things listed are Maintenance things and then the typical Parts. Only parts I see called out is the Exhaust system and catalytic converter that even come close to this situation. On the link you can see the same things mentioned on the website. https://www.autonation.com/protectio...rotection-plan
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Magnuson moss warranty act... basically states that warranty coverage cant be declined based on aftermarket parts, unless the failure is directly related to that aftermarket part.

Heres the best resource I can provide. http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...enied&g=semaga

Last edited by atljar; 03-28-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

If you have a warranty that is supposed to cover the motor, your car is truly stock other than the cutouts, and the warranty company is denying the claim solely because of those cutouts...you most likely need to get an attorney involved. Use AVVO(dot)com to search for a recommended attorney in your area. Maybe even just a consultation to help you decide how to navigate through your process...then you can decide if you want to stay on your present course, or hire an attorney after all. Sorry for your loss...
Old 03-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

1. We all hope you were educated on this issue, and the failure could have (and should have) been prevented, but from your post count, we get it, you don't "live" on the Corvette Forum.

2. We are sorry for your loss, and the impending pain of fighting to get it covered, the expenses that won't be covered, your time dealing with this (we assume you don't work for free at your job, your time is worth something), the loss of use of your vehicle (even if / when they pay for an engine replacement, the car is going to be out of service for many weeks), and finally, the depreciation of the vehicle's value.

3. TO ALL THE JACK-*** NAY-SAYERS, THIS IS EXACTLY THE SITUATION WE (the people who take time out of our day to educate fellow Z06 owners) ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU AVOID..

Ignore our "check the guides even if you have a warranty" advice at your own peril.

P.s. Maybe "JerriVette" and his cronies will put their money where their mouth is and chip in for a new motor - but don't hold your breath on that one..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 03-29-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
Magnuson moss warranty act... basically states that warranty coverage cant be declined based on aftermarket parts, unless the failure is directly related to that aftermarket part.

Heres the best resource I can provide. http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...enied&g=semaga
That more than likely doesn't apply to a prepaid service plan which is basically an insurance policy. The problem may be this plan is one of the ones that will deny coverage on all expensive repairs no matter what the facts are.

Bill
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
1. We all hope you were educated on this issue, and the failure could have (and should have) been prevented, but from your post count, we get it, you don't "live" on the Corvette Forum.

2. We are sorry for your loss, and the impending pain of fighting to get it covered, the expenses that won't be covered, your time dealing with this (we assume you don't work for free at your job, your time is worth something), the loss of use of your vehicle (even if / when they pay for the engine replacement, the car is going to be out of service for many weeks).

3. TO ALL THE JACK-*** NAY-SAYERS, THIS IS EXACTLY THE SITUATION WE (the people who take time out of our day to educate fellow Z06 owners) ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU AVOID..

Ignore our "check the guides even if you have a warranty" advice at your own peril.

P.s. Maybe "JerriVette" and his cronies will put their money where their mouth is and chip in for a new motor - but don't hold your breath on that one..
You are a very funny man...
Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That more than likely doesn't apply to a prepaid service plan which is basically an insurance policy. The problem may be this plan is one of the ones that will deny coverage on all expensive repairs no matter what the facts are.

Bill
Yes its unfortunate these type of companies are out there.

I would be reading the fine print very carefully.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Sorry for your blown motor.
Do you know why exactly it blew?
What is the insurance company's name ????????????

DH
Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 PM
beavisr1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most extended warranties have a maximum dollar amount they will pay towards repairs over the terms of the warranty once that amount is reached they pay no more even if you have time left. This repair could be over that dollar amount. One of the things they fail to mention when they sell you on the extended warranty.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by beavisr1
Most extended warranties have a maximum dollar amount they will pay towards repairs over the terms of the warranty once that amount is reached they pay no more even if you have time left. This repair could be over that dollar amount. One of the things they fail to mention when they sell you on the extended warranty.
I would like to see where it says that in any extended warranty

DH
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 688 Posts

Lawyer up... One reason to never fully rely on an aftermarket warranty.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

What Company is it?
What's their exact reason for denying it?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Based on the link the OP posted that does not work I think this is the plan he has and also probably where he bought the car. But this is just a guess based on his bad link.
https://www.autonation.com/protectio...rotection-plan

Last edited by meanjoe; 03-28-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm sorry to hear about your engine. Hopefully, the warranty company steps up takes care of it. If it is an autonation warranty, some Googling shows less than encouraging results. It might be wise to consult an attorney if they continue to refuse service.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnalecz
The extended warranty has denied me, and I have no idea what to do and can barely think clearly at this point. I've heard it is illegal to deny coverage due to an aftermarket exhaust system.
You seem to imply that they denied coverage because of the exhaust, but to be clear, why did they deny coverage? The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, from my reading of it, applies to any written warranty for a consumer owned product - but they can have expressed "we will not cover if..." wording. https://mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ft...s/undermag.htm
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,157 Likes on 620 Posts

i bought my car from VROOM, who is now autonation, and got the extended warranty for small things... would never trust it to cover an engine. because of this i had the heads replaced as soon as i could

Get notified of new replies

To Valve dropped and extended warranty is denying me, help!!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Macattack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnalecz
My valve dropped in my 2008 C6 Z06. I've been dealing with the biggest nightmare trying to get my extended warranty to cover my engine for the past 3 weeks. The car is almost completely stock besides I have cut outs before the mufflers, but AFTER the catalytic converters. The extended warranty has denied me, and I have no idea what to do and can barely think clearly at this point. I've heard it is illegal to deny coverage due to an aftermarket exhaust system. Please HELP!!

The Z06 only has 22k miles on her.

I hate to see these posts, I agree with the above on obtaining a good attorney. I would limit my communication to your warranty company via email, ask them to give you exactly why they are denying your claim in writing then send it to a reputable lawyer. I believe there is also a class action lawsuit, you may want to be added to the list. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hopefully you will have some recourse with the warranty company.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM
beavisr1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I would like to see where it says that in any extended warranty

DH
My warranty is trough fidelity and under limits of liability it says "the aggregate total of all benfits paid or payable during the term of this service contract shall not exceed the price you paid for your vehicle". I was told this information through the service manage "that they have limits and it's in the fine print". I have one of the better extended warranty companies out there some are much lower. In my case this is good up to 30k over the 4 years it covers.

Last edited by beavisr1; 03-29-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by beavisr1
My warranty is trough fidelity and under limits of liability it says "the aggregate total of all benfits paid or payable during the term of this service contract shall not exceed the price you paid for your vehicle". I was told this information through the service manage "that they have limits and it's in the fine print". I have one of the better extended warranty companies out there some are much lower. In my case this is good up to 30k over the 4 years it covers.
I have VehicleOne which I have already listed elsewhere thats paid over $7K. I think thats reasonable that they would not pay more than cost of vehicle. I am good with that premise. Thanks for checking. I doubt few if any run up costs more than cost of vehicle.

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve dropped and extended warranty is denying me, help!!