Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Random hose in the rear battery compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:38 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
I have talked to enough techs and others about this. I bet you there are thousands with the hose just dangling in the battery box. My buddies car and mine both have Johnson Controls GM factory batteries and no solid connection to the battery. His battery hasn't exploded. 8 years and still going. Lid shut. Blown out of proportion. JMO. There should be a GM plastic connector to mate the hose to the battery if one so chooses. Don't know part number.

I guess I don't understand giving this type of advice. It's a safety feature so why you would recommend not to hook it up. What advantage is there to not hook it up? It's not like it's that hard to connect it.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I guess I don't understand giving this type of advice. It's a safety feature so why you would recommend not to hook it up. What advantage is there to not hook it up? It's not like it's that hard to connect it.
..hey I have looked when I first bought my Z06 in 2015 and I have a hose but not hard 90 degree elbow connector to go in to the battery. Can't find the part online that fits (C6 Z06) if I wanted to get one even. The only Delco vent hose that shows up is for Cobalts ???
Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

..hey I have looked when I first bought my Z06 in 2015 and I have a hose but not hard 90 degree elbow connector to go in to the battery. Can't find the part online that fits (C6 Z06) if I wanted to get one even. The only Delco vent hose that shows up is for Cobalts ???
Not sure what that has to do with you basically advising the OP not to worry about it. If you don't want to hook yours up (for whatever reason), that's up to you. I just don't think you should be advising other people not to hook it up. To me, it's like saying you don't need to wear your seat belt because you've never needed it before.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 01-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Where does the hose vent to anyway? under the car?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,534 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by dkz
Where does the hose vent to anyway? under the car?
Yes, it goes out the bottom of the battery compartment.

Last edited by AzDave47; 01-27-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Not sure what that has to do with you basically advising the OP not to worry about it. If you don't want to hook yours up (for whatever reason), that's up to you. I just don't think you should be advising other people not to hook it up. To me, it's like saying you don't need to wear your seat belt because you've never needed it before.
How many people here take words out of context. You missed the boat bud. RE READ WHAT I SAID AND MAYBE A BELL WILL GO OFF. What I said was what I had been told and JHMO. I never tell guys what to do like a lot on here. I don't jump in on every thread (whether I know about the thread or NOT) like certain individuals do on here. Otherwise I'd have 15K posts like many do on here. Some get 10K in 2 years. Offer nothing but opinions or what I would do blah blah.. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Yeah by your giving "thanks" and receiving "thanks".. 2 and 9 times respectively it seems your contributions the last decade are top notch!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I just checked my battery that is the standard Delco for the Z06 and the hose is hooked up directly to the battery. The battery was replaced at Abel Chevrolet about 2 years ago, so it all seems fairly standard as long as it is OEM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,534 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I just checked my battery that is the standard Delco for the Z06 and the hose is hooked up directly to the battery. The battery was replaced at Abel Chevrolet about 2 years ago, so it all seems fairly standard as long as it is OEM.
The AutoZone Duralast Gold hoked right up to the vent also.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Yeah by your giving "thanks" and receiving "thanks".. 2 and 9 times respectively it seems your contributions the last decade are top notch!
Giving/receiving 'thanks' hasn't been an option for most of the last decade so don't be basing my contributions solely on that.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Giving/receiving 'thanks' hasn't been an option for most of the last decade so don't be basing my contributions solely on that.
Yeah... and your "third man" in comments were not required and overly late to the party on your end. Have a good one.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Yeah... and your "third man" in comments were not required and overly late to the party on your end. Have a good one.
And what good did your response do? The OP never asked for anybody's opinion whether or not to hook it up, he only asked what the hose was for. You offered your unsolicited opinion about it being ok not to hook it up and it is my opinion that it is irresponsible to suggest bypassing a safety feature. If GM thought it vented enough then they wouldn't have included a vent hose. If you post something like that on a public forum you have to expect people who have a different opinion are going to respond. Sorry if you are so sensitive that you feel you have to throw insults at someone who has a different opinion than yours (and evidently I wasn't the only one who didn't think your response was appropriate). This will be my last response about this.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 01-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:07 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

so how does this vent hose work? If it's supposed to vent the hydrogen gas given off how does the gas go down the tube. Since the gas is lighter than air it seems like the gas would escape upwards if there wasn't a perfect seal around whatever it is that attaches to the top of the battery.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
so how does this vent hose work? If it's supposed to vent the hydrogen gas given off how does the gas go down the tube. Since the gas is lighter than air it seems like the gas would escape upwards if there wasn't a perfect seal around whatever it is that attaches to the top of the battery.
probably just by gas pressure; the battery case is sealed so nowhere for the gas to go besides the vent tube. Even if there is a tiny leak somewhere, gas will take the path of least resistance (vent tube).....
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

And what good did your response do? The OP never asked for anybody's opinion whether or not to hook it up, he only asked what the hose was for. You offered your unsolicited opinion about it being ok not to hook it up and it is my opinion that it is irresponsible to suggest bypassing a safety feature. If GM thought it vented enough then they wouldn't have included a vent hose. If you post something like that on a public forum you have to expect people who have a different opinion are going to respond. Sorry if you are so sensitive that you feel you have to throw insults at someone who has a different opinion than yours (and evidently I wasn't the only one who didn't think your response was appropriate). This will be my last response about this.
Yeah, so if i had a dollar for every "unsolicited opinion" of dipsticks butting in that didn't hold a candle to what I said then I could retire. If everyone went by a GM manual our Z's wouldn't run. My replies as I said were all top end non GM mechanics that build hot rods and do cam changes in 30 minutes, not kids with civics, so when I get 5 high end opinions from these kind of mechanics that don't work at a jiffy lube and they all agree, that's like a 5 doctors telling you that mole on your face isn't melanoma and you still KNOW for sure it is. Understand the point? ...Yeah and the other guy said sorry for his comments. I respect the members that understand when they are wrong. Hell I have apologized privately and in threads when I made a wrongful comment in different ways. Take it easy. I have been here long enough and have seen everything. A handful don't make up a nation. Forums are for opinions, but as well, we prefer them MORE for factual data, and that is what we hope to get most of the time.

Correct answers, NOT guesstimates, that's why many of us including myself have come here for truthful REAL answers and not heresay. Too bad the more I see lately is heresay and he did it so I did it and so on and so on and so on so then it must be correct??. That's just bandwagon jumping without FACTS on whether it's right or not right to do. Anyway ... and no biggie on my end. I'm not upset nor sweatin' the small stuff. Let's try to be amiable to agree or disagree.

Last edited by REDZED2; 01-30-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the battery in my 09 Z06, 8 years old and always on a battery tender, Battery Tender Plus model, and vent tube in place. The other day I drove the car just to get the fluids circulated. When I got home and parked it, and about an hour later I tried to start the car one touch of the starter button and bang, the battery blew out both sides.
I replaced it with a 90 EXT from O'Reilly Auto Parts. The battery has the position for the vent tube on both ends of the battery and like the original, a plug is furnished for the side not in use. However, for some additional safety, I am going to add a second vent tube.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Hischar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the vent hose for your battery, it routes the fumes out of your cabin. I'd hook it up if your battery has the connection for it.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 AM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scottc5z
I was checking the connections for the battery on my 08z and noticed a hose that was flopping around coming from the wheel well? It has an end on it that makes it appear it should be connected somewhere but I didn't find any place that looked like it would fit. Anyone know what this hose is for and where it plugs into?
As stated by others its the battery vent hose. If your battery still has the fitting it should be connected to vent fumes from the cabin. This video shows the hose and fitting.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Random hose in the rear battery compartment