Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] WTB inferno orange zr1

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM
silas1234
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slammin86
I love these mythical 40k dollar ZR1's that everyone seems to see for sale yet no one ever has proof!
Even better is a guy bought a one owner with 80k miles on it for 32500 and sold it for 45 after sitting on it for a few months. I have plenty of sale data to backup zr1's in the high 40's. Most of them have high miles 30k plus. If you have a low mile stock car they always bring top dollar unless someone just wants to move it. I've had this same conversation with c6z owners. They said finding one in the 30's it's a myth no way ever. Now take a look they are everywhere at that price. Some even in the 20's. One high mile car sold for 18k. The bottom is dropping on the c6 I'm sure it will stabilize at some point. If you bought a zr1 for an investment that was a bad idea. Just drive it enjoy the smile miles and don't worry about what it's worth. When I buy a inferno orange zr1 you can bet it will never be for sale again and I don't care if it's only worth 10k someday. As long as it puts a smile on my face it was worth it.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:48 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by silas1234
One just sold for 58k with 5k miles. At a dealer auction
Dealer auction pricing isn't what determines street value.

1) You have to actually BE a dealer with the paperwork to even bid at these auctions. Unless you're a dealer, or have a friend who is one and will buy it for you, it's not even close to reasonable to expect to buy one for those prices from a private party sale or even from a dealership.

2) The price one car sold at auction doesn't dictate what even other cars of the same type will sell at other auctions, even dealer auctions. It's the average. This one could have been trashed. And I've never heard a salesman say the condition was anything other than "perfect", only to show up and see destroyed paint, ripped leather, and a missing or cracked front splitter. If you're willing to sacrifice the condition of the car just to get one, that's a perfectly normal personal decision, but also don't expect to get a bottom dollar price for a mint car.

3) Given the uniqueness of the ZR1, there are a lot of single owner garage queens compared to most other cars. These will generally be in significantly better condition than anything coming from an auction or a used car dealership. My 1st ZR1 had less than 3,000 miles on it, was previously owned by the owner of a body shop, and the paint had more swirl marks in the clear coat than my previous Z06 had with 40,000 miles. I spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with the first owner of my current ZR1 talking about how he washed and dried the car and what products he used. At 12,000 miles, it was near perfect and that's worth thousands if you care about condition.

4) History of the vehicle also impacts street value on rarer cars. An unknown car at a dealership that could have been abused, had warranty issues, etc. will not hold it's value as well as a well documented single owner garage queen. One of my older C5Z06's sold for thousands more than the going rate because of the documentation I had and it's known history.

So while I do believe that there are a handful of ZR1's that have sold for crazy low prices in the US, those are infrequent, most likely were not even close to perfect condition, and most likely had at least one major issue. Nothing wrong with buying one of those if the price is right, but just be fair about what that car is worth vs. a garage queen.

I'm not trying discourage you, but I do recommend that you think about all these factors so you don't disappoint yourself with unrealistic expectations, or offend a private owner with a low ball offer if you locate one for sale. Given that you're looking for one of the rarer colors, you're most likely going to have to increase your offer to more than it's actually worth (vs. a common color), be extremely patient until one pops up for sale that you can test drive or trust buying by phone, or both. At least you aren't looking for an Atomic Orange ZR1. Someone here spent 2 years looking for ANY AO to pop up for sale at ANY price and even missed the same exact car twice because it sold before he could track it down. When he did find one he definitely paid a premium for it too. Best of luck in the search!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't see the Toy Barn ZR1 going cheap if the mechanical checks out. Rare color and low miles.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by INTRCUL

At least you aren't looking for an Atomic Orange ZR1. Someone here spent 2 years looking for ANY AO to pop up for sale at ANY price and even missed the same exact car twice because it sold before he could track it down. When he did find one he definitely paid a premium for it too. Best of luck in the search!
That was me ........lol

I only got the one I have because another CF Member here PM'd me as he was looking for one as well and found it in Texas.

It was over a 2 year search, but a dedicated 2 year search, passed on one at Black Horse Motors, missed the same car twice in 2015, once in July then in November, another CF member here was lucky to get it, I called 1 hour after he put a deposit on the car, and I hoped it would not sell but it did, so I had to search for another 7 months to get the one I have.

First time I missed the car in July-15 the dealer mistakenly sold a 1350ish mile 1 owner 1 of 35 ZR1 for $64k, the second time it sold it went for well over $70K by the time the buyer got it from the FL dealership, Stingray Chevy.

I got mine with just under 7k miles, original owner for $60k.

I drove 2500 miles in 3 days to Houston and back from SC to get it.

Don't give up, but be ready to go anywhere at anytime if you expect to find your Unicorn !!

As much fun as my two 427 cars are the ZR1 is on anther level......I would buy a second one if I could find a IO 3ZR just to have them both.

Last edited by RidgeRunner0207; 02-17-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by silas1234
Even better is a guy bought a one owner with 80k miles on it for 32500 and sold it for 45 after sitting on it for a few months. I have plenty of sale data to backup zr1's in the high 40's. Most of them have high miles 30k plus. If you have a low mile stock car they always bring top dollar unless someone just wants to move it. I've had this same conversation with c6z owners. They said finding one in the 30's it's a myth no way ever. Now take a look they are everywhere at that price. Some even in the 20's. One high mile car sold for 18k. The bottom is dropping on the c6 I'm sure it will stabilize at some point. If you bought a zr1 for an investment that was a bad idea. Just drive it enjoy the smile miles and don't worry about what it's worth. When I buy a inferno orange zr1 you can bet it will never be for sale again and I don't care if it's only worth 10k someday. As long as it puts a smile on my face it was worth it.

In that case why do you want a low mileage ZR1? Just but a high mileage one for $40k....I never believe these low cost ZR1's and I own two ZR1's
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM
silas1234
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Z
In that case why do you want a low mileage ZR1? Just but a high mileage one for $40k....I never believe these low cost ZR1's and I own two ZR1's
I don't want one with high miles or I would. I want something with less then 10k miles and prefer stock car. If your going to spend that much why settle for the wrong color or to many miles. High mile cars are always trouble and they are real tough to sell when your done with it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 AM
jcguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd let mine go for $72k, 2011 3ZR with 8,200 miles and in perfect shape. I definitely don't need to sell and I love the car but I am considering starting a business, so if the right person came along I'd sell.

Last edited by jcguy; 02-18-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Supersonic_ZR1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have an '11 IO with an APR rear diffuser and 115mm carbon tipped Akra EVO exhaust I've seen your pics online many times when searching for an IO ZR1. If we ever showed up at the same parking lot it would be like two girls wearing the same dress to prom.

Also, I'm pretty sure our tips (straight carbon barrels) are the normal tip on all C6 Akra exhausts and not a "European" version. The C7 version has a flare at the end of the tip, but I'm not sure if they could be added to the older C6 exhaust. Every C6Z06 or ZR1 with Akra's that I've seem have the straight tips, but maybe they're adding the newer style to all currently produced C6 systems.

IO is a beautiful color and it grows on me every time I look at it. And no, mine isn't for sale. I sold a mint black ZR1 to get this one and will be keeping her for a loooooooong time. With only 69 made, they rarely pop up for sale but they will. Buyers just have to keep searching and be ready to pounce as soon as one does become available. Good hunting to the OP.
I believe you are correct sir!
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
I don't see the Toy Barn ZR1 going cheap if the mechanical checks out. Rare color and low miles.
It's up to more than $61k now with just under 2 days left. No way it's going to sell for $61k. If it were mine, it wouldn't even be for sale. Just too nice to let go of.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Auction ended early. Does anyone know who bought it?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Great price for the mileage on the car, not sure of overall condition but the price and miles are right,

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...rts&emc=alerts
Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Great price for the mileage on the car, not sure of overall condition but the price and miles are right,

Looks like a 3ZR with the PDE package and optional silver calipers. 1st gen Pilot Sport Cups were only an 80 tread wear so it's unlikely at 7500 miles it's still on the OEM set. Whatever they were replaced with should be near new and if less than half tread it was probably driven hard.

If it checks out and wasn't a track rat this is about as perfect as it gets for an IO ZR. Move fast!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:31 PM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slammin86
I "settled" for a z07!
I wouldn't call that "settling" Great looking car!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM
DSGCOBRA24
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That's an incredible deal for that car!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

1) You have to actually BE a dealer with the paperwork to even bid at these auctions. Unless you're a dealer, or have a friend who is one and will buy it for you, it's not even close to reasonable to expect to buy one for those prices from a private party sale or even from a dealership.

2) The price one car sold at auction doesn't dictate what even other cars of the same type will sell at other auctions, even dealer auctions. It's the average. This one could have been trashed. And I've never heard a salesman say the condition was anything other than "perfect", only to show up and see destroyed paint, ripped leather, and a missing or cracked front splitter. If you're willing to sacrifice the condition of the car just to get one, that's a perfectly normal personal decision, but also don't expect to get a bottom dollar price for a mint car.

3) Given the uniqueness of the ZR1, there are a lot of single owner garage queens compared to most other cars. These will generally be in significantly better condition than anything coming from an auction or a used car dealership. My 1st ZR1 had less than 3,000 miles on it, was previously owned by the owner of a body shop, and the paint had more swirl marks in the clear coat than my previous Z06 had with 40,000 miles. I spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with the first owner of my current ZR1 talking about how he washed and dried the car and what products he used. At 12,000 miles, it was near perfect and that's worth thousands if you care about condition.

4) History of the vehicle also impacts street value on rarer cars. An unknown car at a dealership that could have been abused, had warranty issues, etc. will not hold it's value as well as a well documented single owner garage queen. One of my older C5Z06's sold for thousands more than the going rate because of the documentation I had and it's known history.

So while I do believe that there are a handful of ZR1's that have sold for crazy low prices in the US, those are infrequent, most likely were not even close to perfect condition, and most likely had at least one major issue. Nothing wrong with buying one of those if the price is right, but just be fair about what that car is worth vs. a garage queen.

I'm not trying discourage you, but I do recommend that you think about all these factors so you don't disappoint yourself with unrealistic expectations, or offend a private owner with a low ball offer if you locate one for sale. Given that you're looking for one of the rarer colors, you're most likely going to have to increase your offer to more than it's actually worth (vs. a common color), be extremely patient until one pops up for sale that you can test drive or trust buying by phone, or both. At least you aren't looking for an Atomic Orange ZR1. Someone here spent 2 years looking for ANY AO to pop up for sale at ANY price and even missed the same exact car twice because it sold before he could track it down. When he did find one he definitely paid a premium for it too. Best of luck in the search!
Your basically wrong on all of your points. I appraise cars for a living. If a dealer has a car long enough, they will eventually take a beating on the car, selling it retail or at auction. I have sent current year cars to the auction, and lost my ***! And if you find a buyer strapped for cash, things can get even better. I have owned 20 Corvette's, and have bought many of them for pennies on the dollar. And most were in showroom condition. So, if you have the patience, and do your homework, a low mile ZR1 can be had for a steal. GM made too many ZR1's for them to hold their value. Good luck to the OP.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RED2008Z06
I wouldn't call that "settling" Great looking car!!!
Thanks! It get's the job done. Need to sell the GTO in the garage.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:24 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm thinking there has to be issues with this car because that's far too cheap for a dealer to be asking for a '12 with those miles. If it is a good car, someone needs to jump on it yesterday because it certainly won't be around long at that price.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB inferno orange zr1

Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Your basically wrong on all of your points. I appraise cars for a living. If a dealer has a car long enough, they will eventually take a beating on the car, selling it retail or at auction. I have sent current year cars to the auction, and lost my ***! And if you find a buyer strapped for cash, things can get even better. I have owned 20 Corvette's, and have bought many of them for pennies on the dollar. And most were in showroom condition. So, if you have the patience, and do your homework, a low mile ZR1 can be had for a steal. GM made too many ZR1's for them to hold their value. Good luck to the OP.
I think you're jumping to conclusions about the point I was trying to make. I never said those prices were impossible, just not the norm. You're a dealer which I clearly stated in my first point has benefits that we as private buyers do not get. You mentioned two cases where a car can be had for a steal: a dealer that is finally willing to dump or car, or a cash strapped private owner. Absolutely, but these aren't the bulk of sales and does take the patience to find those killer deals which is what I said the OP may have to do to get a good deal, or cough up more cash if he wants one immediately. Sounds like we're actually on the same page here.

Regarding overall value, I never stated any numbers myself and I definitely never said anything about expectations of increasing in value or not depreciating. It's still just a car and it will continue to depreciate every year and finding ZR1's is easy with 4800 or so made. However, the OP wanted a low mileage Inferno Orange of which only 69 were made. Of those 69, maybe half are past 10-15k mileage (I'm at 21k myself), and of those still with low miles, there are only a handful for sale over the course of a year. We probably have 5-10 IO ZR1 owners here on the forum and every one of us has stated we would not sell ours for anything even close to the numbers the OP was hoping for. Trying to buy a single owner garage queen car that has never seen rain from an owner that isn't looking to sell it is going to cost more than a random, common color car purchased at auction with 4 previous owners.

In addition, I had the strong impression that the OP didn't want to wait for a good deal like RidgeRunner and his 2 years of hunting for his AO. So if there are 30 cars in the US that meet your requirements and you want to buy one this month, the odds of having one pop up for a record breaking price is pretty slim. Not impossible, but unlikely. That's all I was saying. Circumstances mean everything here.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:41 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

They made 4k ford GT's
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Where is Silas1234?

They just added CarFax, looks to be a local one owner car originally sold by StingRay.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] WTB inferno orange zr1