Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve guide issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:18 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
A valve that you can wiggle around in the guide with you fingers will mean something to you.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyShamrock
You should have said Boston specifically if that's where you were looking for. I believe you received several replies from Northern cars, including mine from VA.
Virginia is not northern for a Bostonian.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
At this point, people will either put their heads in the ground and ignore it, or they will do something about it. If they believe its a hoax, then don't do anything. No money out of my pocket or skin off my back.

Sooner or later you get tired of helping others that don't want help. Let them either enjoy their cars, or blow up. It isn't your money.

^ this.

People looking for validation and a glimmer of hope to not spend the money needed to fix the glaringly obvious issue.

I don't know why people still go around about this on here......seems like such a waste of time.

Just tell any newb to search, the answer is out there!! Lol
Old 12-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
A valve that you can wiggle around in the guide with you fingers will mean something to you.
Exactly. I've seen that wiggle first hand and the valves involved were my own.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM
DustyShamrock
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It might if you'd gone to school.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Well I live in Alaska. Does that count as "North"?
Sorry Michael...geographically, you're Canadian by default.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

When I've ran into so many people at car shows, events, drag strip, etc that are on motor 2-3 because of this issue, I would say it isn't internet hype. Hell before this was even known about, first guy I met with a cammed z06 back in 2009 did the cam (lethal cam back then, old school) because he dropped a valve on his OEM setup. Guy who bought my factory motor when I did a LSX setup had it happen twice. Him and 2 other locals were fighting it out for my stock motor because they all needed one from the issue. If you are selling a factory LS7 short block you would be amazed at all the calls you get from people needing one from this.

But I guess its all internet hype. I was told it only happens to cars made in June of 2008 painted silver assembled on a wednesday that were initial purchased by men in the northern US.

Whoa, I barely slid by, as my 09 was built in June 2008, but I was wise enough to go with Cyber Gray and I barely live in the southwest.

But since I only had two out of three items in my favor(not sure what day of the week it was finally assembled), I installed a set of PRC265 heads two days after my five year warranty expired.

Didn't want to push my luck. Expensive mistake if I guessed wrong and ignored the potential problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Whoa, I barely slid by, as my 09 was built in June 2008, but I was wise enough to go with Cyber Gray and I barely live in the southwest.

But since I only had two out of three items in my favor(not sure what day of the week it was finally assembled), I installed a set of PRC265 heads two days after my five year warranty expired.

Didn't want to push my luck. Expensive mistake if I guessed wrong and ignored the potential problem.
Easiest way to avoid it would be to self identify as a woman, since it only happens to men and you get to choose your gender these days.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Les
Race Director

Easiest way to avoid it would be to self identify as a woman, since it only happens to men and you get to choose your gender these days.
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of that.....I think I'll stick with AHP.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

just because your guides are out of GM "spec" doesn't mean anything to me. what is GM "spec"? It is some BS number GM came up with. Just because your guide is above this BS number doesn't mean its going to drop a valve. Go checkout the high mileage thread. Tons of cars in there over 100k miles and many with untouched heads. Im sure my Silverado with over 200k has had out of "spec" guides for the past 10 years without failure.

There are many many other reasons why LS7 engines can and have blown up other than valve guides being out of GM "spec".

If you think GM "spec" is anything worth losing sleep over, checkout how GM "spec" for a 2016 Silverado is burning 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. The specs they come up with are BS.

The ls7 needing to get the heads done is an urban myth that went viral so a bunch of guys could get it past their wives that theyre car wouldn't be reliable without modding the heads lol
Old 12-13-2016, 03:14 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by njk4o5
just because your guides are out of GM "spec" doesn't mean anything to me. what is GM "spec"? It is some BS number GM came up with. Just because your guide is above this BS number doesn't mean its going to drop a valve. Go checkout the high mileage thread. Tons of cars in there over 100k miles and many with untouched heads. Im sure my Silverado with over 200k has had out of "spec" guides for the past 10 years without failure.

There are many many other reasons why LS7 engines can and have blown up other than valve guides being out of GM "spec".

If you think GM "spec" is anything worth losing sleep over, checkout how GM "spec" for a 2016 Silverado is burning 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. The specs they come up with are BS.

The ls7 needing to get the heads done is an urban myth that went viral so a bunch of guys could get it past their wives that theyre car wouldn't be reliable without modding the heads lol
So you don't change your oil according to the oil life monitor and probably don't use the recommended oil weight, don't torque lug nuts/bolts to spec, don't pay attention to alignment settings, don't use Premium gas or anything else that is measurable because it doesn't matter? Wow.

There is enough good data on here to understand the issue, and you are doing a disservice to many. No, I do not believe every LS7 would have a guide fail and wipe out a valve and motor, maybe the number is .01% and maybe it is 50%. I do however believe over the years I have seen enough of these types of failures, and enough of guides being out of spec to see the correlation. Just look at all the guys that had a C5z and tracked it for years with no issue, then look at what percent of those guys tracked a C6z and dropped a valve (hint: its high).
Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Les
Race Director

I'll bet none of us are concerned about your opinion of GM's specs- it's your engine and your choice.

For anybody else who's willing to do a bit of critical thinking, GM's specs are set up to give them max "wiggle room" on warranty issues- pardon the pun. The oil burning example is a great illustration of this. They say burning an excessive amount of oil is within their specs when we all know that it's too much and it indicates a problem in the engine.

The valve guide spec used for the LS7 is set up to avoid as many claims as possible and is set at a threshold that they deem absolutely requires action on their part. Anyone who thinks they purposely set it low to incur more warranty claims is
Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah...while I hear where you're coming from, I don't agree at all. I doubt your Silverado runs huge 2.200" Titanium intake valves with 1.610" sodium filled two-piece (thin-walled) steel exhaust valves and spins up to 7100 rpms.

I'm sure you jest...but
Old 12-13-2016, 03:32 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

seems to me like people on corvetteforum all think theres an issue. but when you go out to meets and talk to people who aren't on corvetteforum they haven't the slightest idea about any valve problems...
Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Les
Race Director

seems to me like people on corvetteforum all think theres an issue. but when you go out to meets and talk to people who aren't on corvetteforum they haven't the slightest idea about any valve problems...
Seems to me that some people will think what they want to, even when confronted with serious flaws in their thinking.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:46 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So basically, you're an idiot and go hang out with other non-technical idiots who just drive their car around for shows and to have coffee and fart around. When I took my heads off, I wouldn't have cared about GMs specs either. When your valve is as loose as a hotdog in a hallway, the specs don't matter.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Ahhh...ignorance is bliss. There are actually some forum members who joined after popping a motor, because they began researching for answers as to why their low mileage car committed suicide. I've also seen prospective new buyers join the forum to figure out why the C6Z they are interested in purchasing has had a motor replaced at such low mileage. Then you have the people who go through life not knowing anything about their car, nor willing to learn anything about their car...other than its a "Z06" so they can stand there with a cup of coffee and a doughnut in hand at the local "meet".

Just because the issue isn't universally known throughout the entire universe, doesn't mean it does not actually exist.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve guide issue

Old 12-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

While I get his point of there are probably a ton of other cars with worn guides, they don't run a 2 piece valve that breaks apart when that happens.

LS3s are coming back with guides out of spec but they don't have a weaker 2 piece valve that likes to fall apart when beat on over time by seating unevenly.

Which goes back to my original post, if people like this want to believe it isn't an issue, let them. If/When a motor comes apart, we can sit back and laugh. Its like people claiming cigarettes don't cause cancer because their mom smoked for 30 years and didn't get cancer. That doesn't help the people who die of it.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sorry Michael...geographically, you're Canadian by default.
LMFAO! When I travel around Europe, I tell people I'm Canadian and they believe it. They are nicer too, if they don't think I'm a "Yank".
Old 12-13-2016, 04:10 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya i agree that normally valve can run in a loose guide for a long time without 'sploding. But not when you have a huge valve lift/side load/hollow valves and then multiply by high RPMs, and then go way looser spec than most valves that are out of spec but don't blow.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve guide issue