Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:23 AM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Default New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??

Looking for some experienced input for a new clutch selection for my aggressive Zo6 LS7 620rwhp Normally Aspirated setup. Intended usage is street, drag racing with drag radials, 1/2 miles events and road course. Must not chatter on clutch release and allow fast shifting without damage to synchro's. An overly lightweight clutch is not really in the cards as my rotating assembly is very light and tuning issues have been prevalent.
Looking at:
1) RPS street twin carbon
2) Mantic 9000 ceramic
3) Monster L1-s twin or triple
4) RXT.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Last edited by tdeweese; 09-24-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Monster will suit your needs very well. OEM. Inexpensive. Excellent clutch, I've installed 4 of them, every owner is very satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh B.:
Eli-Z06 (03-20-2024), tdeweese (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
cr133r
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My RPS lasted about 14k miles. The engagement range was very short as well. Other than that, it was a fantastic clutch and drove very nice. I will never buy one again given the first two items. I got just over a year out of the clutch (I drive the car a lot) and that did include a bit of track time, but that's still a very short life span.

I just finished installing a Mantic 9000 921202 in the car and can tell you that it drives very nice (no chatter), but I've only driven the car once so far. If the lifespan is decent, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I did consider buying a Monster as well and have nothing against them. They look to be a fantastic solution as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by cr133r:
Old 09-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

If you are going to be doing a fair amount of drag racing, then you probably would be better off looking to ceramic disks. Don't think I'd use the LT1-S. You ought to look at the ceramic version.

If you are having some off idle, lower rpm drivability issues with an aggressive camshaft, then a lighter flywheel will only make things worse. I'd look at steel flywheels only, and not the trimmed down/reduced weight versions.

I don't drag race. I do however need to replace the clutch. Really torn between the LT1-S and Mantic 9000 Organic. When it comes to clutches in this car, I won't be squabbling over price too much. Way too much of a PITA to install to be pinching pennies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael_D:
Old 09-24-2016, 12:43 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Monster will suit your needs very well. OEM. Inexpensive. Excellent clutch, I've installed 4 of them, every owner is very satisfied.
I have some reservations about organic pad material for 1/4 mile drag racing. I have a Billet steel ZR1 clutch now and did not hold up to any slipping of the clutch and quickly heated up and caused 2nd gear engagement issues even with a brand new RPM transmission. I am trapping mid to upper 130's.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael_D
If you are going to be doing a fair amount of drag racing, then you probably would be better off looking to ceramic disks. Don't think I'd use the LT1-S. You ought to look at the ceramic version.

If you are having some off idle, lower rpm drivability issues with an aggressive camshaft, then a lighter flywheel will only make things worse. I'd look at steel flywheels only, and not the trimmed down/reduced weight versions.

I don't drag race. I do however need to replace the clutch. Really torn between the LT1-S and Mantic 9000 Organic. When it comes to clutches in this car, I won't be squabbling over price too much. Way too much of a PITA to install to be pinching pennies.
I agree 100% with you Michael. The amount of work to change these clutches makes me sick! I am leaning toward the mantic 9000 ceramic as of today, but who knows. Tony Mamo is suggesting the RPS street twin Carbon he says is weighs around 40 lbs.
BTW, I got my Tune figured out, no more "scaled Tune" my tuner used the wrong fuel injector values, he corrected it and runs much better. Still room for improvement but fine for this year.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:48 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by cr133r
My RPS lasted about 14k miles. The engagement range was very short as well. Other than that, it was a fantastic clutch and drove very nice. I will never buy one again given the first two items. I got just over a year out of the clutch (I drive the car a lot) and that did include a bit of track time, but that's still a very short life span.

I just finished installing a Mantic 9000 921202 in the car and can tell you that it drives very nice (no chatter), but I've only driven the car once so far. If the lifespan is decent, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I did consider buying a Monster as well and have nothing against them. They look to be a fantastic solution as well.
Any idea why it the RPS failed so soon?? Please keep me updated as to how you like the Mantic as that is my current choice with ceramic material.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tdeweese
I agree 100% with you Michael. The amount of work to change these clutches makes me sick! I am leaning toward the mantic 9000 ceramic as of today, but who knows. Tony Mamo is suggesting the RPS street twin Carbon he says is weighs around 40 lbs.
BTW, I got my Tune figured out, no more "scaled Tune" my tuner used the wrong fuel injector values, he corrected it and runs much better. Still room for improvement but fine for this year.
With all brands, builders tend to get brand loyal once they find something that works for them. And then they get real ornery over brands/manufacturers that give them troubles and do not forgive them..... I know I'm guilty of it on some things. That may be why Tony likes the EPS. That's way some builders like the Comp trunion 'upgrade'....

Glad to hear about the tuning. The scaling he did was not right, whoever did it. I was trying to be diplomatic at HPT, but it was totally jacked. Feel free to send me the new cal if you want another set of eyes to look at it. Did you ever figure out scan tool? Get a few logs??
Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Keep your total assembly to like 50 pounds (factory is like 57 pounds) or more. I agree with the light flywheel comment above it sucks for stop and go traffic. Once you are moving fine but that doesn't help anything under 5 mph.
The following users liked this post:
Eli-Z06 (03-20-2024)
Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

This assumes NA cammed car blower car different story.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by double06
Keep your total assembly to like 50 pounds (factory is like 57 pounds) or more. I agree with the light flywheel comment above it sucks for stop and go traffic. Once you are moving fine but that doesn't help anything under 5 mph.
Other than the LS9 clutch I have now, I don't know of any other clutches that weigh in much over 45 lbs? Mantic and RPS are around 40lbs. with steel flywheel.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Any idea of the overall weight of the monster lt1-s?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Buy the Monster Triple. It drives like stock, makes little to no noise and will hold more than 1000whp. It is a fantastic clutch and it also doesn't require any break-in.

Last edited by lamboworld; 09-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lamboworld:
Eli-Z06 (03-20-2024), tdeweese (10-04-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Hard to find the perfect clutch. My mantic has been flawless for last 25k miles now. Can it chatter? Yes. Can it make noise at idle, yes. Does it, no. You quickly learn to drive around it and bumping idle speed up slightly gets rid of any noise at idle. Drives smooth and holds 1000+ all day. Wouldn't touch a rxt. Monster maybe but as md said you will want ceramic disc which may make noise and chatter.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:41 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Any idea why it the RPS failed so soon?? Please keep me updated as to how you like the Mantic as that is my current choice with ceramic material.
I would speculate on a bad install. I can safely say that I have abused my RPS more than any clutch should be abused. This included 100s of high rpm launches, 10s of thousands of street miles and teaching my teenage daughter to drive a stick.
The following users liked this post:
tdeweese (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:53 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Mantic now makes a heavy flywheel so set up weighs 50 pound instead of 35 pounds. Other than that I like the Mantic.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
tdeweese
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael_D
With all brands, builders tend to get brand loyal once they find something that works for them. And then they get real ornery over brands/manufacturers that give them troubles and do not forgive them..... I know I'm guilty of it on some things. That may be why Tony likes the EPS. That's way some builders like the Comp trunion 'upgrade'....

Glad to hear about the tuning. The scaling he did was not right, whoever did it. I was trying to be diplomatic at HPT, but it was totally jacked. Feel free to send me the new cal if you want another set of eyes to look at it. Did you ever figure out scan tool? Get a few logs??
Michael, I will try and send the updated file and send you some logs this week. What would you like to see logged? Startup, idling, running down the road, WOT?

Get notified of new replies

To New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??

Old 09-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I have some reservations about organic pad material for 1/4 mile drag racing. I have a Billet steel ZR1 clutch now and did not hold up to any slipping of the clutch and quickly heated up and caused 2nd gear engagement issues even with a brand new RPM transmission. I am trapping mid to upper 130's.
The organic disk Monster in my 620rwhp HCI C6Z has never blinked after hot lapping dozens of 1/2 mile passes, god knows how many street passes. With ceramic disks you will have 10% less heat build up with 40% more chatter. The Monster LT1-SC is ceramic, also sprung hub. It's a nice unit. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I went with Monster's lightened steel flywheel (they window the outer circumference of the flywheel not dissimilar to the Mantic), this brought the total unit weight to 49.2 lbs. Stock LS7 is 57 lbs, the regular weight Monster is 56 lbs. I would have forgone the lightening, I would lose the more rapid rev matching, but gained a bit more <5mph civility. Worth it IMO.

RPS is a solid unit.

Never read a bad review of the Mantic.

Never read a good review of the RXT.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a monster lt1 sc and it was so difficult to drive with, monster customer service is amazing and he replaced it for free with a lt1 s twin clutch and my god it's amazing

I would buy monster alone for there customer service , not many companies out there like that

I'm around 560 whp NA

Drives like stock if not better
Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the standard weight organic Monster LT1-S in my cammed Z. I don't drag race, so I only have 3* 1/8th miles passes on it. I do autocross, so I have consecutive standing launches and it doesn't miss a beat. Also took the abuse from San Francisco's crazy steep hills with no issues

All in all, I've been very pleased with it. I would be temtped to try a Mantic but I have no bad experiences with the LT1 so it would be hard to sway from it.

Last edited by ttx350z; 09-26-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??