Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] should i make the move.....c5 to c6z

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:40 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
test drove a 2007 c6z today.....wow

low end was amazing! cruising speeds and stomping it was similar to my c5 but the low end wow!

problem with this one tho when i was getting out of the parking lot and going slow to turn and find a way out of lot to test drive i kept hearing clunking.....not sure what it was but i could repeat it every time i turned when driving slow....wife even heard it also.

is this normal for c6z? or common problem to fix??

got back into my c5 and turned all kinds of ways and tight as a tick with no clunking sounds.

More than likely the axle nuts are loose. mine did it when I first got it. Torqued them and been good so far with hoosier a7's and many beatings.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
More than likely the axle nuts are loose. mine did it when I first got it. Torqued them and been good so far with hoosier a7's and many beatings.
figured it may be something simple like that, thanks for advice.......thing is salesman (nissan used lot) said oh when we got it on trade it went straight to chevrolet dealer and they looked everything over, so i'm sure there are no problems......i wanted to say yeah bs!! i took my c5 to same dealer for pre-inspection before i bought it......waste of money and time. they told me i needed a battery thats why they starter was sluggish......battery replacement, same thing. i got on forum found issue was starter, replaced it myself still fires like a jet every time and that was 7 years ago.....dealer.....

still amazed at the take off that thing had on that test drive today
Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

just wait until you have a chance to safely try out...oh lets say... from 50 to 100 mph?
This cars (oem)chassis starts waking up after around 70mph, but the engine from 3.5K onward---hold on! It also pulls as hard in 3nd gear as it does in 2nd. Be careful with this beast.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Had an 04 Z06 that was beautiful and fun to drive. In 09 I finally got the bug to move onto a new Z06. Kept both cars. After 6 months I sold the 04 only because I never drove it after I got the C6 Z. Hurt to let it go but hurt much more to see it just sitting in my machine shed. I came to realize that I am not a guy that wants to own more than I can drive at one time. The guy I sold it to was blown away by the performance and on how well it was maintained. I sometimes wish I still owned that car but once I drive my 09 those thoughts quickly vanish. You will realize the same once you move up. Both great cars but the C6 is the better of the two. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by olddragger
just wait until you have a chance to safely try out...oh lets say... from 50 to 100 mph?
This cars (oem)chassis starts waking up after around 70mph, but the engine from 3.5K onward---hold on! It also pulls as hard in 3nd gear as it does in 2nd. Be careful with this beast.
yeah i was turning on to an interstate......1st gear slow rolling.....punched it and wow..got loose, not squirrely.....just spun, hit 2nd slight spin, hit 3rd we were over 80mph......and i was not rough or slam shifting.....just got on it a little.......oh the power!! makes my acceleration in c5 seem like its a honda accord!

Last edited by wkndwarrior; 07-29-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by MiamiCowboy
The guy I sold it to was blown away by the performance and on how well it was maintained. I sometimes wish I still owned that car but once I drive my 09 those thoughts quickly vanish. You will realize the same once you move up. Both great cars but the C6 is the better of the two. Good luck.
after test drive i went back to my c5 (let them look it over for trade in) there was a guy standing beside it, he said what year i said 98, he was impressed with the appearance, said you coulda fooled me......i keep my vehicles looking as best they can too.

that was debate with myself on way home.....wife just listened to me argue both points to myself.......may sell c5, see what this year at business brings, save up and buy one cash outright.....will be hard to not have a vette in the shop.....but won't be for long!!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

test drove a 2007 c6z today.....wow

low end was amazing! cruising speeds and stomping it was similar to my c5 but the low end wow!

problem with this one tho when i was getting out of the parking lot and going slow to turn and find a way out of lot to test drive i kept hearing clunking.....not sure what it was but i could repeat it every time i turned when driving slow....wife even heard it also.

is this normal for c6z? or common problem to fix??

got back into my c5 and turned all kinds of ways and tight as a tick with no clunking sounds.
Was the clunking from the front or rear? There was a TSB issued for the rear differential fluid needing to be drained and refilled with the newer fluid with improved friction modifiers. My 2008 Z06 would chatter in the differential on slow speed tight turns. The clutch packs in the differential would stick and that's the noise you would hear. I drained and refilled the fluid myself for less than $100 and it has been completely silent and smooth since.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer

And did a fluid change. Hasnt made a peep since.... AND it was noisy, especially when clutching in and out of lots.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Go for a C6Z...
Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Should you make the move? ABSOLUTELY. Conversely, if your post read C5Z to C6 I would recommend NOT making the move. (Payments or not, believe me when I tell you that Z as in Z06 is PRICELE$$.)
Old 07-31-2016, 10:30 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a 2008 Lingenfelter C6Z06 with 11,800 miles for $46,500.00. Added a MGW shifter and man what a difference from my built 2004 C5. I still have my C5, but the C6 Z is a whole new world of power. The C6 is raw power but I think the C5 is more fun to drive.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by shadowman1
I just bought a 2008 Lingenfelter C6Z06 with 11,800 miles for $46,500.00. Added a MGW shifter and man what a difference from my built 2004 C5. I still have my C5, but the C6 Z is a whole new world of power. The C6 is raw power but I think the C5 is more fun to drive.
nice! sounds like i need to shop around and be patient for a good deal.

i love my mgw shifter........they are right around the corner from me. i use to work with the founder at his other job.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I made the move from a C5 to a C6z. I did consider and test drove several 2015 Stingrays, some with a Z51 package. I felt a non-Z06 C7 would depreciate like my C5 did and I'd eventually have a car that would have difficulty retaining its value. Overall, I am impressed with the C6Z and feel it will hold its value better than a non-Z06 C7.

What I bought:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...take-more.html

I was looking for one with the heads done and this one had tasteful supporting mods that I would have done anyway.

What I sold:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tampa-fl.html

I did have to work hard to sell the C5 and got a fraction of what I had in it.

The C6Z responds to tuning and modifications very well. Drive ability isn't as friendly as the C5, but the C6Z is a different animal. I have since added my own sealed intake system and tuning. The street manners are very tame and have maxed out the torque readings at 640 (not at wheels) that HPTuners reports back. I use the torque readings as a tuning aid to see if I'm heading in the right direction.

I think the 427ci NA may be the last of its kind and I wanted to have one. I think you DESERVE one too!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

yeah i was turning on to an interstate......1st gear slow rolling.....punched it and wow..got loose, not squirrely.....just spun, hit 2nd slight spin, hit 3rd we were over 80mph......and i was not rough or slam shifting.....just got on it a little.......oh the power!! makes my acceleration in c5 seem like its a honda accord!
Yeah, when you get a H/C it pulls just as hard in 4th as the stock setup does in 3rd...
Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Yes...C6Z all day long. I came from a C5Z that I thought I would never sell. When I picked up my C6Z...the C5Z just sat in my garage for 3 months until a buddy offered to buy it. Off it went.

Something else to consider...If you could swing a little extra money, ZR1's are being snatched up for really good deals right now as well. Given that it appears you won't put too many miles on the car...maybe look at a ZR1 with higher mileage. When I say higher...I mean 30-40K, which is nothing for most people.

For me, I had to have that NA 427...and I really have no designs to part with mine anytime soon. I have been salivating over some deals on ZR1's I've seen lately though. My dilemma is that I gave up my 3 car garage last year when I moved from SoCal to Hawaii...so no room for any more toys at this time in my life.

Oh, and as far as the C7 stingray option goes...just no, hell no.

Quick Reply: [Z06] should i make the move.....c5 to c6z