Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] raddle, squeaks & thumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 PM
jsunandmax
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default raddle, squeaks & thumps

Hello, as a soon-to-be first-time Z06 owner, I have a question about the various sounds one hears from INSIDE the cabin.

Disclaimer; i have only driven 2 so far, both 2008. One had 35K miles and the other had 50K miles. Both had a fair amount of rattle sounds, one had squeeking from passenger door and even an occasionally thud sound (quiet but noticable) from behind the driver's seat.

I get these are 10 year old cars, but my 2004 Infinity GS has ZERO sounds of this nature (and its going on 90K miles!).

Are these things just really that cheap inside? Did i just get a few that HAPPENED to have these issues and likely a few screws tighten and i'm solid?

I understand we dont buy these cars for the 'interior', and I should say they were not HORRIBLE.... but for a car of this price I expect a 'solid' feel and squeeks/rattles from the cabin components really undermine that.

I did a search on here, but didnt really find a good thread on the topic. What do people do? I have even heard the NEW Z06 has roof rattle...

any help greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited by jsunandmax; 07-12-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM
jsunandmax
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

oh, the video where some dude bitches about new z06's:
Old 07-13-2016, 12:20 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't particularly like squeaks and rattles either. To address cabin noise, I put in two sound deadening kits, got a cargo mat, and switched away from the stock Goodyear's. As I put the car back together, I added some foam and sound deadening to the plastic trim. There are several threads about how to take the interior apart and some good vendors that sell precut kits. I got all lightweight materials; I estimate I added about 13 lbs to the car. I do not recommend the heavy stuff like dynamat which is more for deadening rattles from big subs.

Just in case, if you are in Colorado, perhaps you should just buy my car. I have my first kid on the way and I don't get to drive the car much as it is. Pm me if so.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:20 AM
advancivic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My steering wheel squeaks when I turn it it bothers me I need to fix it any suggestions
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 163 Posts

Trashing the stock goodyears goes a long way. The car is a bit noisy inside and I will be doing sound deadening at some point. It's not intolerable but it's certainly no BMW.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:57 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has about 35k miles now and currently has no issues with unwanted interior sounds. Though due to the performance-nature of the car and lack of sound blocking material, you will hear a lot of external sounds.

The differential, tunnel plate (if loose), exhaust (banging around because of loose hangars), oil system, sway-bar end-links, a/c system, and valvetrain all make distinct noises in my car that I don't hear in my wife's lexus, and that's with sound-blocking foam over the rear end of the car (which really quieted down interior exhaust sound and rear-tire noise).

For everything else, you'll need to take apart the panel, find out what's causing the squeak/rattle and glue/fix it. I've only had to do that once (for something behind the radio) for my car, though I'm fully expecting it will get worse with age.

So yeah, they are relatively cheap inside. Not as cheap as the standard chevy (which means you'll experience less interior issues than the average chevy), but not up to luxury car standards.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM
UnOvertime
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The c6 interior is very cheap, not economy car bad, but it definitely was an afterthought. It's definitely not an Infiniti or Lexus. As far as actual noise goes, the runflat junk they put on the car are really noisy. I can't wait to get rid of them. The LS7 can be kind of noisy especially when getting used to driving it, but that is kind of the fun of having it.

My worst issue is a rattling/buzzing coming from up front behind the radio or where the windshield meets the dash. I have seen a few threads on here about this, but haven't had the desire to take the dash apart to find it.

Get notified of new replies

To raddle, squeaks & thumps

Quick Reply: [Z06] raddle, squeaks & thumps