Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] need advice - Thinking about a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Keith.Joslyn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 - why not if you can?

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207
Thanks.......I learned from personal experience that every day is a gift, too many unknowns in the world, every day you wake up breathing is a good day.

I find my self reading this thread and looking for a Vette for just the reasons described in the thread. 4 years ago a few weeks after my 48th birthday I was in the hospital waiting for a triple bypass and wondering "what the hell - how did this happen?" There was no warning signs, no tell tales - just BANG ready or not a huge SLAP to the face.

I have a C5 base convertible. Not exactly my style but it was my Dads', the price was right and it has sentimental value. But the yearning for speed is burning stronger so I recently started looking to upgrade. I want to take the car to get an ice cream on a hot summer night. I want to take the car to a few track days a year and I'd like to autocross the car. I was thinking 2009 Z06, nav. with low to medium miles. I'd add shocks and sway bars, but keep the engine stock. As I started looking, I saw a carbon option - got to have that. Then I saw Z07 option and that would be nice . . . where does it end? Then I saw a very low mileage ZR1 for less that half the price of new with the carbon package and basically the same features as a Z07 package (if I understand that right and I might not) and then I really started scratching my head. It would be a stretch to get into a ZR1 but like's it's been said many times - you can't take it with you and maybe it would not depreciate as fast as some other cars.

So I'd love to hear performance input from forum members who have experience with both cars (Z06 vs ZR1). Is the ZR1 suspension good enough to autocross competitively (at a national level) with the stock mag ride? Does it need a bigger front bar - this is really minor and low cost but it would be an indicator of potential IMO. Can you get BFGs to fit on the car? Rules allow 1" smaller rim diameters. I understand the BFG is the only tire to have for autocross.

Thanks for looking at my first post.

Last edited by Keith.Joslyn; 08-01-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith.Joslyn
Thanks for looking at my first post.
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to go for a spin in a ZR1 let me know, I'm right over the bridge in N.Wheatfield.

Joe T.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Keith.Joslyn
Cruising

WOW - that would be great - even just some face to face time would be nice. I'm usually pretty flexible schedule wise, but this week is pretty booked. Any chance you're headed to the boat races at Gatwick Park this weekend? I'm trying to get there both days later afternoon. Next week Monday or Tuesday evenings are open.

Thanks - Keith
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

WOW - that would be great - even just some face to face time would be nice. I'm usually pretty flexible schedule wise, but this week is pretty booked. Any chance you're headed to the boat races at Gatwick Park this weekend? I'm trying to get there both days later afternoon. Next week Monday or Tuesday evenings are open.

Thanks - Keith
I'm off for 2 weeks after tomorrow, I'll PM you a phone number.

Edit: It looks like I can't PM you, either check your profile to see if it's turned on, or there may be a minimum number of posts before it's allowed, not sure. It let me send you an email, so maybe look for that.

Check under your user profile, 'Settings & Options", "Edit Options", and make sure "Enable private Messages" is checked. I have them all checked under that heading except "Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators"

Last edited by jft69z; 08-01-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:31 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My long term plan was to buy a c6 z06 to go with my 65 and 68 restorod's. I am rethinking that plan as the zr1is holding my attention more and more.

Will the zr1 be valuable in my lifetime, probably not. Will it always be worth $50k or better, probably.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Keith.Joslyn
Cruising

Originally Posted by uxojerry
My long term plan was to buy a c6 z06 to go with my 65 and 68 restorod's. I am rethinking that plan as the zr1is holding my attention more and more.

Will the zr1 be valuable in my lifetime, probably not. Will it always be worth $50k or better, probably.

So in your humble opinion, do you think a ZR1 will hold it's value better than a Z06? That would be my guess but I'd like to hear more opinions since mine is worth less than 2 cents when it comes to Corvettes.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the valve guide issue hurt z06 values. I think the z06/z07 may hold some long term value.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

So in your humble opinion, do you think a ZR1 will hold it's value better than a Z06? That would be my guess but I'd like to hear more opinions since mine is worth less than 2 cents when it comes to Corvettes.
Its an argument of NA vs. Supercharged, production numbers being lower for ZR1, etc.

The jump from a Z06 to a ZR1 can be north of $20K.

If you are financing the $20k may or may not make a difference, so its up to you as the buyer to decide.

I find value in both that is why I purchased what I have and am looking at collecting more as time and opportunity allows.

Good Luck
Old 12-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Kenny Donald
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ylo73z
My wife goes with me driving in the zr1 when ever we can , she didn't even bat a eye when I dropped 20k on it modding it last month , then I laid the latest news that we still have another 10k to go to reach my 900whp goal . She didn't even think about it when she said ok ! ...guys who have old ladies that don't let them have fun or hate going fast in the car . Well
I feel bad for you . It's a awesome feeling have your wife cheer you on while you race a modded Porche on the freeway . .
You Sir have found a rare wife. As most are great, and mine has never said a word about cash for my toys, but she has been with me 1 time when I've pushed the limits and she bought a new car the next day and said she would never ride with me again. Lol. While my son screams my turn dad, my turn!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:32 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

you can get zr1's for $50kish right now, in a year or 2 they will be $40-45k. that's when im going to buy one
Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM
stevev29
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess I'm the only optimistic one thinking that our cars values will go up. granted i only have a 2009, but with only 2,500 miles i HOPE its worth something or will be, if not no big deal lol.

i also feel that our cars values will go up with the new zr1 coming out. call me crazy but for our cars performance compared to at least 150k car, ours is still the better buy imo
Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

As with many things in life, it will all come down to supply vs demand.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:21 PM
MGPete90
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm looking to move mine now - car is CLEAN and only has 7K miles. Wanting to buy a business so cleaning up the balance sheet. I don't want to let her go, but short-term vs. long-term wants right now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-7k-miles.html
Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 AM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
My opinion on the most potential for appreciation & a good "investment"? A first or final gen Viper, a G8 GXP, 04-06 GTO, Z28 camaro, C6 427 vert, just a few guesses

Going to respectfully disagree...!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:36 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't even believe they are in the low 60's now. If I get one I just need to make sure its faster than my a&a c6 but I don't think it would take many mods to make that happen

Last edited by LSX228R; 12-31-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] need advice - Thinking about a ZR1