Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 AM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

I have been going through this dilemma, too.

I took the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain course twice. Level 1 we drove the C6 Z06, towards the end of the C6 era. Level 2 was right after the first deliveries of the C7 and I think but am not sure that it was the base C7. (Definitely not a C7 Z06, it wasn't out yet, but I'm not sure if the cars we drove were Z51-equipped.) The C7 handled nicely, but from minute 1 it was obvious that the power-to-weight was nowhere near as good as the C6 Z06. In that regard the C7 was disappointing.

Having never driven either car on the street, I have no idea if I would prefer the C6 Z06 vs the C7 as an ownership experience. But the memory of the sprightliness of the C6 Z06 and relative sluggishness of the base C7 remains.

I kind of wish the C7 lineup was more like the C6 lineup, with the Z06 being a normally-aspirated 427 and with a lighter body, then a supercharged ZR-1 version for those who prefer it.

Since that isn't how it came to pass, I have no idea whether to buy a C6 Z06 or a C7 base.

The biggest factors, thus far are:
1) C6 valve issue
2) C6 Z06 prices are ridiculously high. I mean, seriously, the 2013s are as expensive as a new C7 1LT base considering dealer discounts.
3) Hard to find the C6 Z06 car of my dreams re colors. (been looking for a while and I do admit to being overly picky)
4) Being a Nevada resident, I'd sure prefer to buy used from a private party (no sales tas) but I haven't found a private-party C7 that I particularly like the colors/configuration of either. (And for the record, I think there are lots of great-looking ones, but not that I want to live with. Strongly prefer white paint and can't live with black, for instance. Including a black interior. But I like looking at just about all the color combinations. I just don't want to live with most of them.)
5) I prefer the look of the C7 to the C6.
6) Haven't found a new C7 already on a dealer lot that I like the configuration of.
7) This is leading me to maybe just custom-order a C7 base and live with the lower power. (Don't want a C7 Z06. It just seems too over the top.)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:29 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The C7 is a better car overall. The performance is on a par with the C6Z. HP and Torque Curves are identical through 4K rpm so other than the extra 200 lbs of weight in the C7 you really won't see much difference in the stop light gran prix. If you get more than the Z51 and Mag Ride then you will have a car that will probably out corner the C6Z which means it becomes a real horse race between the two on a road course. As somebody pointed out the C6Z is a 10 year old car. One of the problems with cars older than 10 years (some times less than that) is the manufacturer stops providing parts support. If demand is low for certain parts or the supplier obsoletes them you can have a tough time keeping a car running.

Bill
Bill, Normally I agree with almost everything you say, but here I respectfully disagree. I drove a Z51 equipped C7 and felt it was comparable up to 4,000 RPM's (as you said) but the difference was substantial in favor of the Z06 after that. The C7 did not feel anywhere near as agile cornering, probably due to the extra weight, compared to my 06Z.

Not sure it would be a driver's race on a road course either, especially after reading your post the other day where you weren't sure whether your C7 Z06 was faster than your old C6 Z06 around the track. You also stated the old Z06 was faster on the straights than the new one. How then could the C7 Z51 be faster? If my reading comprehension is poor you can correct me
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 PM
driver9
Drifting

Originally Posted by capevettes
You also stated the old Z06 was faster on the straights than the new one.
That's odd. The C6 ZR-1's would destroy the C6 Z06's on the big straightaway on the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain track. I have been under the impression the C7 Z06 could be thought of as the power of the C6 ZR-1 with the weight distribution of the C6 Z06.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Now that I've had a Z, I think I'm forever desensitized. I will never want a base car. I think Z cars trump the base cars regardless of generation. Obviously I'm not talking performance alone. There is resale value, rarity, styling, etc. So this is what I would drive:

C4 ZR1 over base C5
C5Z over base C6
C6Z over C7
C7Z over C8?
That's more or less how I see things now too.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

This is why I initially mentioned that the buyer needs to decide if this car will be stock or modded at some point.

Stock C6 Z vs. Stock C7 in terms of speed, acceleration, handling, braking etc.. It seems to be in the eye of the beholder. One of these days I'm going to find out first hand when I can find a C7 owner brave enough in my area.

A H/C C6Z with upgrades brakes, tires, suspension, etc etc vs stock C7....

-------------------

I consider what the car could/will be when I own it. Not what it is off the show room floor. That LS7 is sand-baggin' from the factory. 505hp was a joke for that engine. You can put headers, intake and tune on the car and pick up 40-50wtq across the entire RPM range almost.

It's worth mentioning because you can buy a heavily modded early year model Z for LESS than a completely stock 2012-2013 model Z.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 04-12-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
15 car lengths to 150 mph I bet. Still money left over if buying a new C7 coupe. (modded for modded) even with a low miles C6Z.
15 lengths in whos favor?

Last edited by Never-Enough; 04-12-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by driver9
I have been going through this dilemma, too.

I took the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain course twice. Level 1 we drove the C6 Z06, towards the end of the C6 era. Level 2 was right after the first deliveries of the C7 and I think but am not sure that it was the base C7. (Definitely not a C7 Z06, it wasn't out yet, but I'm not sure if the cars we drove were Z51-equipped.) The C7 handled nicely, but from minute 1 it was obvious that the power-to-weight was nowhere near as good as the C6 Z06. In that regard the C7 was disappointing.

Having never driven either car on the street, I have no idea if I would prefer the C6 Z06 vs the C7 as an ownership experience. But the memory of the sprightliness of the C6 Z06 and relative sluggishness of the base C7 remains.

I kind of wish the C7 lineup was more like the C6 lineup, with the Z06 being a normally-aspirated 427 and with a lighter body, then a supercharged ZR-1 version for those who prefer it.

Since that isn't how it came to pass, I have no idea whether to buy a C6 Z06 or a C7 base.

The biggest factors, thus far are:
1) C6 valve issue
2) C6 Z06 prices are ridiculously high. I mean, seriously, the 2013s are as expensive as a new C7 1LT base considering dealer discounts.
3) Hard to find the C6 Z06 car of my dreams re colors. (been looking for a while and I do admit to being overly picky)
4) Being a Nevada resident, I'd sure prefer to buy used from a private party (no sales tas) but I haven't found a private-party C7 that I particularly like the colors/configuration of either. (And for the record, I think there are lots of great-looking ones, but not that I want to live with. Strongly prefer white paint and can't live with black, for instance. Including a black interior. But I like looking at just about all the color combinations. I just don't want to live with most of them.)
5) I prefer the look of the C7 to the C6.
6) Haven't found a new C7 already on a dealer lot that I like the configuration of.
7) This is leading me to maybe just custom-order a C7 base and live with the lower power. (Don't want a C7 Z06. It just seems too over the top.)
What color C6Z do you want? If I found an AO modded already, you can find your color. You just might have to travel for it. Got mine from NM. Do you have to find a 2012-13 Z? Just get an older one for a lot less $. You can always swap in the 2012 seats if you want.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:23 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by driver9
That's odd. The C6 ZR-1's would destroy the C6 Z06's on the big straightaway on the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain track. I have been under the impression the C7 Z06 could be thought of as the power of the C6 ZR-1 with the weight distribution of the C6 Z06.
The Aero on the new Z06 does not lend well to high speeds. The drag factor actually slows it down. It's very well planted and handles the corners better than the C6 Z.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Nucleartiger
I would like to get everyone's opinion on which they would buy and why.

I have the opportunity to get an 06 Z06 with <5000 miles on it now or wait a year (roughly) and get a base C7 stingray. What would you guys do? Has anyone driven both or owned both? I really like the exterior of the C6 more than the C7 but I like the C7 interior more. I haven't driven a C7 yet but I absolutely loved the Engine sound in the Z06. Does the the C7 have that same sound or is it more muted?

I tried searching the forum and multiple places online but haven't found much in the way comparing these two particular cars.

Thanks for any and all answers that I can get.

I have also posted this same question in the C7 area. So far they all say C7.

I have driven/owned both. I guess it depends on what you want to with/to it. For those wanting a quick/light/easy to work on car...the C6Z is a darn good way to go. If you are going to do HPDE events I would still suggest the C6Z

If it is a daily driver back and forth to work...the C7 does have a much better interior and electronics package. They are quick...but not like a C6Z stock for stock.

No car is 100% perfect and both will require parts to dial it in as you want it.
The following users liked this post:
3 Z06ZR1 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
15 lengths in whos favor?
I answered your question I believe its obvious which vette I meant. The only real Z car.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:19 PM
driver9
Drifting

What color C6Z do you want? If I found an AO modded already, you can find your color. You just might have to travel for it. Got mine from NM. Do you have to find a 2012-13 Z? Just get an older one for a lot less $. You can always swap in the 2012 seats if you want.
White/light grey would be fantastic, thanks for asking!

Been looking for quite a while. Covering the entire US with AutoTrader, Cars.com and Ebay, plus some Craigslist, but CL is such a mess it's hard to be methodical.

I'll go anywhere for the right car, but I've been burned before buying cars at a distance. There are a lot of pressures when you do it. Like you travel to see it and you've already got an investment so you (meaning me I guess) tend to feel pressure to close the deal. It's the same buying airplanes, which almost always involve travel to find what you want.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 PM
driver9
Drifting

Originally Posted by capevettes
The Aero on the new Z06 does not lend well to high speeds. The drag factor actually slows it down. It's very well planted and handles the corners better than the C6 Z.
Thanks for clarifying that. But this applies only to the C7 Z06? Meaning the C7 seems to have issues regarding not enough downforce at high speed? As in, be extra careful in a C7 base at triple-digit speeds?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I answered your question I believe its obvious which vette I meant. The only real Z car.
If both are H/C/I/E & tune cars, I don't see it being that bad of a beating on eitehr side unless someone cannot drive. Do you have videos of these runs?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

If both are H/C/I/E & tune cars, I don't see it being that bad of a beating on either side unless someone cannot drive. Do you have videos of these runs?
Hey, I have seen many H/C c6Z's race 1/4 or roll with a H/C C7 LT1. I don't know the specs of either... never seen a C6Z lose yet... Our 427 ci engines just can't be underestimated since they seem to do do things with more radical H/C cars that you would think. MPH and car lengths with boosted cars with 200 hp more... its all out there if you look. I will never want or need to have a Z that fast....
I love my driveability and no one races hardcore here. Fast cars here.. lots of them (name it its here just about except $500,000++).. posers... except the 5.0 guys always wanna **** on the gas pedal with their obnoxious sounding catbacks... that hasn't changed since the 90's.

Last edited by REDZED2; 04-12-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Hey, I have seen many H/C c6Z's race 1/4 or roll with a H/C C7 LT1. I don't know the specs of either... never seen a C6Z lose yet... Our 427 ci engines just can't be underestimated since they seem to do do things with more radical H/C cars that you would think. MPH and car lengths with boosted cars with 200 hp more... its all out there if you look. I will never want or need to have a Z that fast....
I love my driveability and no one races hardcore here. Fast cars here.. lots of them (name it its here just about except $500,000++).. posers... except the 5.0 guys always wanna **** on the gas pedal with their obnoxious sounding catbacks... that hasn't changed since the 90's.
All I was finding on youtube was modded vs stock or vs C7Z or nonsense like that which is why I posted.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Agree

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I have driven/owned both. I guess it depends on what you want to with/to it. For those wanting a quick/light/easy to work on car...the C6Z is a darn good way to go. If you are going to do HPDE events I would still suggest the C6Z

If it is a daily driver back and forth to work...the C7 does have a much better interior and electronics package. They are quick...but not like a C6Z stock for stock.

No car is 100% perfect and both will require parts to dial it in as you want it.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 PM
UnOvertime
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your situation a little bit ago and I chose the c6z. The c7 was fun to drive, but didn't have the fun factor that the c6z had. However the c7 interior is miles and miles ahead of the c6.

I daily drive my c6z and nothing really beats how much joy it brings me on a daily basis. I plan on driving it for a year or two before I think about moving up to a c7, but after only a few months I can't see me doing that, the c6z is just so much fun.

You can't go wrong with either choice, both are amazing cars. I just wanted a Z06 more than a base model.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
I thought there were fewer than that. The car doesn't seem to be budging much in value, which is why I used it as an example in the first place.

The whole point was not around that actual rarity of the car but around the depreciation rate of the car. While I see your point, the heart of my message doesn't change. There are very few examples where it is a financial investment to buy a new car. Even the rare ones need to be bought a few years later.
Was 2552 c6 427 verts (mines 2010)of those 691 had the 60th Heritage Package ,1088 had the 60th ann pkg, 897 had the 60 Ann Graphics.
So not a lot of them and really few of the 60TH Ann package with the roof stripes.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Now that I've had a Z, I think I'm forever desensitized. I will never want a base car. I think Z cars trump the base cars regardless of generation. Obviously I'm not talking performance alone. There is resale value, rarity, styling, etc. So this is what I would drive:

C4 ZR1 over base C5
C5Z over base C6
C6Z over C7
C7Z over C8?
Good comparisons, however I am really concerned with the C7 Z06. I have been going back and forth because of the cooling issues and the high speed reduction due to the downforce.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

How does a H/C/I/E & tune C6Z fair against a C7 (Non-Z) with the same mods in a straight line?
GONE! C7 quickly disappearing in the mirror! I had not drove mine stock since I added the blower kit. I removed the blower kit and left the coated headers with a K&N drop in type filter then a dyno tune.

501 rwhp 479 rwtq rev to 7k. 3100 pounds

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-16-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?