Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ECM Locked ~~~

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default ECM Locked ~~~

Hi All,
My extended GMPP warranty expired in December on my 06 C6Z so I had my heads redone in December and just took my car to get tuned for what I thought would be the first time. One of the best tuners in the Phoenix market hooked up his computer to do the real world road test before the dyno tune, and guess what????, my ECM is locked. He said that the car had been tuned in the past and the tuner locked the ECM. (I am the second owner since July 2010). So after the shock of realizing that I had been driving around under the false pretense of being covered under warranty – which I extended twice to the tune of $5k, I decided to do a baseline dyno… 4 pulls, with the best at 473 rwhp. My only mods are AHR stage 4 heads and a Halltech intake with beehive. The tuner said I could replace the ECM and only then retune the car, but given I don’t have any other mods I am feeling like 473 is a solid number. Your thoughts? ECM install + tune would run another $6 – 800 and I don't think there is much to gain in HP or Torque terms... driveability might be another story.

So, in year or two I might do a cam & headers...at that point I will need get a new ECM installed to be able to actually tune my car. Have to say that I am extremely disappointed in so many ways – but the silver lining is that I never had an issue with the motor and grateful that I did not need to attempt to use the warranty in that way, as we all know that GM would have voided any claim.

Chris
Old 03-28-2016, 02:09 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Odd situation for sure, but I say leave it alone...its obviously been fine as is for all those years. If you tear into the motor down the line, you'll obviously need to deal with this; but plans can always change. While its good nothing happened to your motor under warranty, there could have been plenty of other problems that could have occurred. Be thankful you have a reliable car, and not a lemon. You bought the GMPP for peace of mind, and it sounds like that's exactly what it gave you all of those years.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Odd situation for sure, but I say leave it alone...its obviously been fine as is for all those years. If you tear into the motor down the line, you'll obviously need to deal with this; but plans can always change. While its good nothing happened to your motor under warranty, there could have been plenty of other problems that could have occurred. Be thankful you have a reliable car, and not a lemon. You bought the GMPP for peace of mind, and it sounds like that's exactly what it gave you all of those years.
Thanks - I did buy the GMPP for piece of mind... used it a few times on other things as well. If the motor had blown and they would not have covered it... something else would have blown up ... me.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ramsair
Thanks - I did buy the GMPP for piece of mind... used it a few times on other things as well. If the motor had blown and they would not have covered it... something else would have blown up ... me.
I hear ya there...my GMPP expires in April. Contemplating extending or buy a GMEPP. Either way, I went ahead and had AHP rebuild my heads under a GMPP claim last year. So at least I was able to get my money's worth...only paid ~$900 for a 4/48 major guard. Thankfully, no other issues with my car.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-28-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

$50-80 on ebay gets you an ecu. Shouldn't cost more than $100 to get a new ecu that isn't locked, or take yours to dealer and have it flashed to unlock it if you can find one to do it cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Ramsair (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
$50-80 on ebay gets you an ecu. Shouldn't cost more than $100 to get a new ecu that isn't locked, or take yours to dealer and have it flashed to unlock it if you can find one to do it cheap.
Thanks - yes, spoke with Freeway - they said they could do it for $65... the tuner said not possible... so will tell the dealer that if they can I will pay, if not I won't and we will see. (worth a shot) If it works, then it will be back to stock and I will be back for a tune and will see if we can get more out of it than 473.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That Tuner should be put out of business. I can see locking it where that file cannot be changed because that is his intellectual property but not so the PCM can't be reflashed. And I think that is likely what the dealer is going to do for you. Likely your local tuner couldn't do it because he didn't have a Tech 2 or a new stock file with your VIN in it.

Last edited by pkincy; 03-28-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by pkincy
That Tuner should be put out of business. I can see locking it where that file cannot be changed because that is his intellectual property but not so the PCM can't be reflashed. And I think that is likely what the dealer is going to do for you. Likely your local tuner couldn't do it because he didn't have a Tech 2 or a new stock file with your VIN in it.
I think you are right. To bad there is no digital sig on a tune... The other issue is that the tune was not disclosed to me when I bought the car. The dealer thinks it can be reflashed without an issue.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yep, dealer can flash it back to stock, no issue, then you can get tuned no problem.

I assume you are having Nic do it?
Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 PM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

If some *** clown tuner locked the ecm I don't think any tuner can get into it even to download a factory tune from gm and start from there, you will need a new ecm for the car. I went through the same thing.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

If you need a new ecm, the dealer would have to code the vin to it anyway, so you might as well see if they can re write the stock calibration to the current ecm, before buying a new one.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Tech 2 can reflash a locked ECU.

HPtuners or EFi/etc cannot.

Or like I said, ECUs are $50-80 on ebay if for some reason dealer didn't want to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Ramsair (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yep, dealer can flash it back to stock, no issue, then you can get tuned no problem.

I assume you are having Nic do it?
Yes - he is the one that discovered it was locked. Says he sees stuff like this at least once a month.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by shane p
If some *** clown tuner locked the ecm I don't think any tuner can get into it even to download a factory tune from gm and start from there, you will need a new ecm for the car. I went through the same thing.
Will be interesting to see if the dealer can reflash... will keep you in the loop. My dilemma is that if I reflash or replace the ecm, will I get a better tune than I have now ....
Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Let us know, I had to buy a new ecm then the tuner loaded in a factory tune from gm then the tuner can start tuning. problem for me was that I was 5 hours away from home I had almost 1000 bucks in a tune. I have a tech 2 but it was at home, I know the tuner got the car hooked up online with gm and tried to reload the factory tune and they couldn't get in either.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ramsair
Will be interesting to see if the dealer can reflash... will keep you in the loop. My dilemma is that if I reflash or replace the ecm, will I get a better tune than I have now ....
Yes you will. I guarantee Nic's tune will be better than whats in there.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Just returned from Freeway Chev ~ NO Go on the flash... ECM is locked and I will need to replace it and start over.

Once a vehicle is tuned it is a 100% void of GM warranty on motor... REALLY glad I never needed to use my GMPP for that.

New ECM and program for securities, then headers and cam and then a tune... sometime in the near future.

Thanks for everyone chiming in. My only advice to anyone buying a used car, especially one still under warranty is to have the ECM checked before you give someone your hard earned cash. An integrity issue for sure - as the old adage goes, trust but verify.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To ECM Locked ~~~

Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I wonder if your ECM has one of those "CoW Booster" upgrades...I think CoW is pretty secretive on that technology.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Any possibility if finding out who tuned it previously? It's possible they could return it to stock and unlock it.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Find a dealer that knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ECM Locked ~~~