Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help! Trouble codes after CAI installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Z06James
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Trouble codes after CAI installation

Hi Guys,
I just installed a new K&N CAI on my 2008 Z06(car is completely stock otherwise) and after running some errands around town the “Service Traction Control System”indicator came up on the dash for about 30 seconds then went away.
My scan tool gave me the following codes:
  • P0171 Too Lean Bank 1 (pending)
  • P0174 Too Lean Bank 2 (pending)
  • C0561 ABS Module RAM/ROM Circuit
This was my first trip out with the CAI and the car seems to be running great except for the codes. I also rechecked the CAI and everything is tight with no detectable air leaks.
Is this normal after installing a CAI? Should I just clear the codes and keep driving? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,149 Likes on 602 Posts

Your new air filter assy is NOT running great. That's why the engine is setting lean codes.

When you're looking at the data list on your scanner, what are the fuel trims doing?

I would not run the car much at high rpm/wide open throttle until you sort out that problem with the engine lean.

Consult with K&N. Explain the codes and see what they say.

The ABS code is a different story, without knowing the model year of the car, I can't offer much input on that.
The following users liked this post:
Z06James (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Z06James
Banned Scam/Spammer

I cleared the codes and took her for an easy going 20min drive last night to dinner and back home. I checked the codes this morning and there is nothing there. With the car running in the driveway this morning my scan tool gave me the following data:

Last edited by Z06James; 02-14-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Updated results
Old 02-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Z06James
I cleared the codes and took her for an easy going 20min drive last night to dinner and back home. I checked the codes this morning and there is nothing there. With the car running in the driveway this morning my scan tool gave me the following data:
Logging data at idle is not very revealing but from the data you have, look at your LTFT bank 1. It's 19.5 so the system adding a lot of fuel.

I suspect your engine is lean with that CAI. If that's true at wide open throttle (you can't directly check that without a wideband), you need to be careful of detonation. What you can do is log some KR data with your scan tester running at high part throttle or WOT for short periods. If you get a lot of KR, that's an indirect sign of lean AFR because the engine will tend to detonate more if the fuel mixture is lean.

I'd either take it off and return to stock or take the car to someone who knows how to calibrate and have them "put a tune" in it that won't have the engine running lean.

Those codes set when the fuel trim maxes out to the rich limit and the system is still lean.

In my experience, with aftermarket air filter assemblies that actually work, you often have to recalibrate to get the engine to run right.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-14-2016 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06James (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Did you pull the battery cable when you installed the new intake?

Are you sure there a zero air leaks?

It could be something as simple as the ECM re-calibrating itself to the new airflow (although I would be surprised this one would flow significantly more than stock - maybe your stock filter was really dirty?), especially if you pulled the battery cable during the install, resetting the fuel trims.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-14-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
BJC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours may not be this, but mine threw those same codes because I had an air leak. Uninstall, reinstall, unhook and reattach battery cable, and mine went away.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BJC_Z06
Yours may not be this, but mine threw those same codes because I had an air leak. Uninstall, reinstall, unhook and reattach battery cable, and mine went away.
This.

Check for the rubber hose from the FIPK to the Throttle Body, I bet its pinched likely, at the 6 o'clock position.

Check it out...problem solve.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Z06James
Banned Scam/Spammer

Thanks for your replies, I will give it another go later this week when I get some time off from work. Last weekend after pulling the battery cable and checking again for leaks I started the car and within 60 seconds of warming up in the driveway I got the same 3 codes. With that I decided to put the stock intake back on for now. At least the car is back to normal again and running right. Unfortunately, K&N has not responded to multiple emails from me regarding this matter tech@knfilters.com.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:06 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

There are a couple of things you can do.

First, if the filter was "over-oiled," you could have had oil on the MAF wires. If you are really, really careful you can clean them. There are numerous discussions around the web on cleaning MAFs.

Secondly, check carefully for a disconnected vacuum hose. And, on that note, does the engine run smoothly when it sits and idles before the MIL comes on?

Also, when the MIL does come on, the engine controls are telling you, "I'm adding all the extra fuel I can but the O2s say I'm still lean."

If you still can't find any vacuum leaks or other problems and, if you can't get help from K&N, you could get a refund. You also could have a "tuner" calibrate the MAF xfer table. It could be that the K&N FIPK needs a non-stock cal. to run right.

I need to research the C0561 a bit.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Mikiez06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are gonna have to pay a good tuner to tune for the cold air. On basically every c5 vette to my c6 z its always the same. The new cold air kit requires you to remove your mass air meter and install it in the aftermarket neck of the new kit. This changes everything. Some people say they dont experience any issues, but from my first hand experience it requires a good aftermarket tune. That is why I always say to do all of your mods at once, like headers, intake etc... then pay the tuner to make all work in harmony and get the most from your mods.
The lean codes are normal and expected.

Its like people who get headers and x pipes with high flow cats instead of off road pipes. Most people expect to not get exhaust codes because there are cats on the car. This is entirely false and you still get the codes.
Tuning is the only fix for these mods

Last edited by Mikiez06; 02-25-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:00 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

uninstall that mickey mouse intake and return it.

run the high quality intake that comes with the car.

problems solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Trouble codes after CAI installation

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help! Trouble codes after CAI installation