Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Erl issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
gunns0331
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got of the phone with Andres at ERL. He is going to help me out as much as he can. I will have the motor back in 5 weeks.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that piston in picture #2 rocked 1/4" in the bore? Meaning is the bottom of that piston about 1/4" lower in the cylinder vs. the top? I didn't notice that looking before. If so, wow!

Last edited by carbuff; 02-04-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by carbuff
Is that picture in picture #2 rocked 1/4" in the bore? Meaning is the bottom of that picture about 1/4" lower in the cylinder vs. the top? I didn't notice that looking before. If so, wow!
Exactly.

I'm not saying ERL can't or doesn't build good engines, I'm just saying this wasn't one of them. And Ed shouldn't have had to pay anything to have it fixed properly.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

This was from a ford turbo build a few years back. All the paper work for the "blue printing" was filled out and checked off yet the wrong rods were installed. The bigger company's get the faster the move and in my case it's clear it was just pencil whipped and not checked. They made it right and the motor lasted less then a year before the bearings where shot. I try to do as much as I can my self anymore.
This was from a Ford only race shop not ERL. Just to be clear. Not bashing as we all are humans and can make mistakes. I have made many.

Last edited by GeneSch; 02-05-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I did not see the bottom half of the second picture on this phone. All can really see is the top 270 deg, and my eyes are not behaving lately
Do you have better pictures of the entire piston and cylinder? If is rocked 1/4", then that is FUBAR. No way it could rock that much with .005 clearance, unless the piston is defective.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by GeneSch
This was from a ford turbo build a few years back. All the paper work for the "blue printing" was filled out and checked off yet the wrong rods were installed. The bigger company's get the faster the move and in my case it's clear it was just pencil whipped and not checked. They made it right and the motor lasted less then a year before the bearings where shot. I try to do as much as I can my self anymore.

As bad as I hate to say it, i think that the specs are just as your old engine were.
Now ERL says they're going to do a light hone on the cylinders and coat the pistons to take up the clearance.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
eMpowerd3
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Michael_D
The as-found report is excellent. It also confirmed my earlier comments. Ring wash. It wasn't from dry pistons, or the pistons would also be scored. Your quench is also too tight.

Who is assembling the long block and tuning this thing? Sounds pretty clear that is where the problem resides. PM me if you want.
Per what has been said/posted in this thread I think that the majority of people can make sense of what is going on. As with all engine builders there will be the die hard supporters as well as people with negative opinions with any engine building company(this is with most things in life...). The posted findings report & clearance sheet say it all, the responses from the supporters & "haters" is to be expected. Nothing in this world is perfect but I can guarantee that the ERL's pursuit of perfection far surpasses most others. This is due to years of experience in the field of high performance engines & years of experience in manufacturing. The machining capabilities that ERL has is more than the average engine builder & they take full advantage of using these capabilities to ensure the highest quality products are put out to the public. I am not posting to stir the pot, the "fix" that is being done for the OP's build is more than reasonable considering there could be many other contributing factors to the "ERL issues" as stated in the thread title. This is a brief general expression of my opinions on the topic, it is pretty clean & clear my position on ERL, their quality & the people producing the performance engines that come from the shop. If there are any other technical aspects of these "issues" or the fix that is to be done I would like to have a nice technical conversation about them. To conclude these are my personal opinions of what I know, I have read & what I have experienced in my years in this field. I am more than willing to discuss (in posts or via PM) any of my opinions concerning the topic(s) in this thread. Again this is all IMHO & I hope can be taken as such, Elliot C.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Elliot C. -

Are you somehow affiliated with ERL? Doesn't really matter to me, but just curious.

I am also curious to know more about this piston skirt coating that ERL is proposing, and why they would choose this over a hone and larger pistons. Another five thou wouldn't hurt anything.

I'd still like to see a better photo of the piston at TDC, rocked both directions. If the skirt clearance is truly five thou, there should not be as much rock as the piston appears to be tilted in the bore of the picture posted earlier.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Elliot C. -

Are you somehow affiliated with ERL? Doesn't really matter to me, but just curious.

I am also curious to know more about this piston skirt coating that ERL is proposing, and why they would choose this over a hone and larger pistons. Another five thou wouldn't hurt anything.

I'd still like to see a better photo of the piston at TDC, rocked both directions. If the skirt clearance is truly five thou, there should not be as much rock as the piston appears to be tilted in the bore of the picture posted earlier.
I had the same questions about the affiliation, and on the pic - I am convinced this is an optic illusion with the picture (at least I sure hope so) - it has to do with the angle.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-08-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
willyfastz
Pro

Elliot C. -

Hone and the next size up piston was my suggestion to ERL. Also suggested that Ed would make up the difference if any in the price of the next size pistons.
They're sticking to cylinder wash as the problem. They should post a few picks of the rings if they were washed out with gas. And washing the rings would make the cylinder walls shinny.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Hone and the next size up piston was my suggestion to ERL. Also suggested that Ed would make up the difference if any in the price of the next size pistons.
They're sticking to cylinder wash as the problem. They should post a few picks of the rings if they were washed out with gas. And washing the rings would make the cylinder walls shinny.
Not necessarily. Remember that the rings function bidirectional. I've seen it both ways, shiny and dirty - just like the pics in this thread. There was a time in my life that I was building 410 sprints. Wash was a common problem.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 PM
eMpowerd3
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Yes to the above questions , but all of my statements are my own personal opinions of what I've seen in years of experience in the field. I know that the problem has been resolved and as stated I do not want to stir the pot, only to have the issues resolved. There are different types of coatings from different manufacturers that can be used when only a light stuff hone is needed to ensure PTW will be correct. Your mention of going up in bore size is another way to ensure the problem is resolved, but again the issue has been resolved through ERL and the OP. I only wanted to state my opinion of what I have seen and hope it be taken as such. As far as some of the pictures are concerned piston the wall is .005" (per the clearance sheet and measurments) measured just above the bottom of the piston on the skirt per manufacturer recommendation. Piston crowns are machined smaller than the skirts due to heat expansion, this may be what you are seeing in the pictures.

Last edited by eMpowerd3; 02-10-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Erl issues