Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] TPMS Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default TPMS Malfunction

OK, I did a search but could not find anything. My original battery is 5 years old and I had a few weird things happen today; car has not been started in 2 months and its on a tender that is functioning. Got in and hit the start button, car did nothing for about 2 seconds and then started but both windows not indexing, re-indexed windows.
A little later in the day (did not drive anywhere) went to start the car and it was slow cranking, then started. Put the car back on the tender and started the car this evening, started OK, but now my TPMS in the DIC is showing zero pressure in all tires? So, I think I need a new battery, but how do I get the TPMS to read properly in the DIC?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
OK, I did a search but could not find anything. My original battery is 5 years old and I had a few weird things happen today; car has not been started in 2 months and its on a tender that is functioning. Got in and hit the start button, car did nothing for about 2 seconds and then started but both windows not indexing, re-indexed windows.
A little later in the day (did not drive anywhere) went to start the car and it was slow cranking, then started. Put the car back on the tender and started the car this evening, started OK, but now my TPMS in the DIC is showing zero pressure in all tires? So, I think I need a new battery, but how do I get the TPMS to read properly in the DIC?
The sensors probably went to sleep. If you have a tool to reprogram them do that, otherwise just driving the car for 10 - 15 minutes should wake them up.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
The sensors probably went to sleep. If you have a tool to reprogram them do that, otherwise just driving the car for 10 - 15 minutes should wake them up.

Why would they do that, all four of them...has not happened since I have owned it from new?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

not likely your issue above, but the TPMS batteries also eventually fail...I had one fail at about three yrs (replaced under warranty)...
affected TPMS will read XXX on the DIC.

Time for a new car battery, Mark...mine went at 5.5--6yrs.

Gary

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 01-15-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
not likely your issue above, but the TPMS batteries also eventually fail...I had one fail at about three yrs (replaced under warranty)...
affected TPMS will read XXX on the DIC.

Time for a new car battery, Mark...mine went at 5.5--6yrs.

Gary
Yes Gary, I have come to the same conclusion; however I am still curious why the windows de-indexed and all four TPMS lost connectivity. I posted the Thread in the hope that someone would have another technical solution other than a new battery. What happens when I install the new battery, will the TPMS reset just by driving the car? Well I will be searching for an AC/Delco replacement today.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Yes Gary, I have come to the same conclusion; however I am still curious why the windows de-indexed and all four TPMS lost connectivity. I posted the Thread in the hope that someone would have another technical solution other than a new battery. What happens when I install the new battery, will the TPMS reset just by driving the car? Well I will be searching for an AC/Delco replacement today.
I'm pretty confident that the answer to the above question is yes.

A weak battery causes very curious things to happen. I had the exact condition you described with the tpms happen to me when my battery was on it's way out. I drove the car with the old battery a little longer and the tpms reset by themselves, but shortly after, the battery went completely dead! (mine was about 4 years old)

A new one will more than likely fix the "gremlins"...

Keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

A 5 year old battery can definitely be a problem. However, it isn't a normal reaction for the TPMS sensor data to go to zero like that no matter what is happening to the car battery. Notice I said not normal but I didn't say impossible. Reading 0 means the sensors are still communicating with the car and the pressure might actually be 0 so get your gauge out and check the tires. If the sensors were dead/not communicating with the car you wouldn't read a 0 pressure. You would see Xs in the pressure readings instead of a number. Low sensor batteries can cause incorrect readings such as reading 0 instead of the correct pressure. If you have a reprogramming tool you can try to reprogram the car to recognize the sensors but if the sensor batteries are expiring that usually gets you a few minutes of correct readings before they drop out again. Sensor batteries typically last about 7 years but they have been known to go in as little as 4 years.

First, thing to do is to get the battery checked by taking it to a store. If bad then determine what kind of battery you want to purchase. ACDelco battery retailers aren't easy to find as most stores have their own brands now. I put a AutoZone Duralast in my 08Z a little over 3 years ago and it held up well until I sold the car in Nov.

One thing you may need to check is whether or not the starter is working properly. My car wouldn't start in Oct due to a bad starter. When the starter was replaced the new starter cranked the engine over much faster than any time since I purchased the car 6 years before. Various people over the years claimed the slow cranking was due to a bad battery but they were all wrong.

Bill
Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Freebird427
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill Dearborn:

"Low sensor batteries can cause incorrect readings such as reading 0 instead of the correct pressure."

Bill, Can Low sensor batteries also cause low tire psi readings, say 35 psi reads 25 psi on the tpms (with a warning)? The wheels / sensors are approx. 2 yrs old and I was getting good readings up till October. The colder it got, the more tires I saw tripping warnings. Full disclosure, the car battery is in need of replacement.

FB
Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Hey guys thanks for all the great info. So I have installed the new battery...what a trip that was; most poorly designed set up I have ever encountered, but I digress. The TPMS are all still reading zero and it is raining today so I will have to wait until tomorrow to drive it a little to see if they reset. Car started right up after the new battery install so I don't think the starter is the culprit, thanks again, if anyone thinks of anything else on the TPMS glad to hear it.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Titan C6Z
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed. My car tpms has been acting up over the past 2 weeks. Front right dropped from 35-18 within 30 miles, but didn't lose any psi. Then just today, after start up, the tpms reads 0 for all tires for 1-5 min after start up. Then goes back to normal except for the front right which is actually fine.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Took it out for a brief run today as recommended and sure enough the TPMS reset almost instantly; first two reset within 500 feet and then the whole system was up in about a mile. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

glad your car is back to good as new !
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6