Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Building a 1300hp LS7

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Alaska SS
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
Im in Amelia, Ohio and I just went with the ERL block.
So, educate me on the ERL block. What's the difference in strength? From what I can see they convert the 4 bolt head to a six bolt. That'll help from lifting the head and blowing a head gasket but what else do they do that actually makes the aluminum block able to withstand that kind.of cylinder pressure? Can you give me a ballpark on cost? Thanks for the education and info.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

LSX is stronger but weighs 120 lbs heavier than aluminum. ERL uses stock aluminum blocks. Puts thicker sleeves and converts to a 6 bolt. Depends on what options you choose.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Alaska SS
Racer

Originally Posted by usmcpony
LSX is stronger but weighs 120 lbs heavier than aluminum. ERL uses stock aluminum blocks. Puts thicker sleeves and converts to a 6 bolt. Depends on what options you choose.
Any idea what sleeves they use? I'm replacing the entire rotating assembly so might as well do that why the motor is out.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:02 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I thought they used their own sleeves but im not exactly sure.

Last edited by usmcpony; 01-01-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 PM
0ERL PERFORMANCE
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this video link about our sleeving systems. You can give us a call next week so we can discuss further:
http://youtu.be/ONWWlMIfu8o
Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by Alaska SS
Any idea what sleeves they use? I'm replacing the entire rotating assembly so might as well do that why the motor is out.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The replace sleeves with thicker and stronger sleeves.

I would just do a LSX block for that power level.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Alaska SS
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
The replace sleeves with thicker and stronger sleeves.

I would just do a LSX block for that power level.
I'm with you but I have an awesome set of heads on the car already and don't want to totally start over. There's a big difference between a $10k rebuild and a $25k build...at least there is in my wallet. LOL

I plan on leaving the car around 800 on the blower, 1000 on nitrous and just adding a bigger jet if we really need to get jiggy with it. I don't want to over build the motor but I don't want to underbuild it either just to save a buck.

That's why I'm looking for actual breakage stories. A lot of speculation on limits but I haven't heard of any blocks coming apart yet. I know I'm pushing the limits but wonder what the proven limits really are and if anyone has been there yet? I see a couple folks making 1000+ with new rotating assemblies and stock block but no stories of real death and destruction. LOL
Old 01-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by ERL PERFORMANCE
Check out this video link about our sleeving systems. You can give us a call next week so we can discuss further:
http://youtu.be/ONWWlMIfu8o
Happy New Year!
On your sleeved LS7 stock stroke assembled short block, do you R&R the factory TI rods? If so, what all do you do to them? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska SS
I'm with you but I have an awesome set of heads on the car already and don't want to totally start over. There's a big difference between a $10k rebuild and a $25k build...at least there is in my wallet. LOL

I plan on leaving the car around 800 on the blower, 1000 on nitrous and just adding a bigger jet if we really need to get jiggy with it. I don't want to over build the motor but I don't want to underbuild it either just to save a buck.

That's why I'm looking for actual breakage stories. A lot of speculation on limits but I haven't heard of any blocks coming apart yet. I know I'm pushing the limits but wonder what the proven limits really are and if anyone has been there yet? I see a couple folks making 1000+ with new rotating assemblies and stock block but no stories of real death and destruction. LOL
Heads swap right over. Same with all the accesories and all the parts. It isn't restarting anything.

A nice ~1500rwhp LSX setup will cost you ~$8500ish. You can sell your stock shortblock for $4000 or so making the end cost for the swap ~$4500. That is exactly what I did. Now have 13k miles of racing and daily driving at between 1000-1200rwhp with zero issues with the motor.

Seen plenty of stock ls7 block crack and die. Anywhere from 700-1000rwhp. Some last awhile, but any detonation at all and they split the #7 liner.

The extra $2k on a block is pennies compared to the $10-12k you need to put into the drivetrain just to hold 1000+, and the $2500 in fuel system, etc. It is a solid $30-40k in parts to put a 1000rwhp vette together.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Jason from Katech posted an issue with a stock block failing in one of his builds. The engine was in the 600hp range on the road race circuit. The issue is the sleeves are thin and crack easily. They replaced the OEM block with an RHS. I saw at the PRI show that Dart now has a revised LS block.

The OEM crank and rods will not hold up long term at that HP level. I would invest in a Callies Magnum crank and Oliver Billet rods, the extra heavy versions for blown application. You'll also need a quality 2618 forged piston verses the 4032 alloy.

I would opt for Brodix heads and Inconel stainless valves. They seem to hold up well for high HP applications.

You should also review your components for the rest of the drive train.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Building an engine is like building a house in many ways.... Good foundation that's solid and square and you have no problems when going up. Crap foundation that's not square or level, and you fight it the entire way to hanging doors and cabinets. Then if you have an earthquake, it'll all come down around your ears. The block is your foundation. It needs to be designed to hold the load you throw at it, and machined correctly. If it's machined correctly, everything goes together sooooooo much more smoothly...

You have several options. But at 1300 hp, using the OE block, without any improvements, is one option that really needs to be off the table. I would not consider that option anything but, well....stupid.

An LSX block is certainally one option, if weight is not a concern, and saving some money is. At this power level, that woudl be your least expensive option.

R.E.D. does good work on LS blocks. I know they install Darton products, and not sure what others.

ERL also does good work. I've had my hands on a couple LS blocks they re-worked, and couldn't have asked for better. I'm pretty sure you can get Darton dry sleeves, but not sure about Darton MID sleeves, as they have their own super deck option.

The Darton dry liner is a ductal iron alloy, whereas the OE liner is just pot metal. The OE sleeve is brittle and will not withstand detonation as well as the ductile iron alloy. I don't think I'd trust the Darton dry liner for 1300 hp though. Maybe 1000, but more than that would be pushing your luck.

The MID sleeve is a completely different animal. More than I care to get into, as it also included some trick machine work. It would be my choice for this power level over the other. RED's website has some details on it. http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...-installation/

At 1300hp, I'd lean toward ERL's super deck option or the MID sleeve. I'd probably go with O-ring head seals, 1/2" studs, billet main caps, bushed and keyed 905 lifter bores. You'd be golden for about 1800 hp, should you decide to run more boost down the road.

A couple other options worth consideration, would be an RHS solid deck block, and if money is not a big concern....LSM Engineering would be at the top of my list. Their billet aluminum blocks are a work of art that handle well over 2000 hp. Actually, if you’re looking seriously at having block work done, you should call LSM and see what they can do with the OE LS block. I've had them work over and lighten tall deck BBC blocks before and their work is spectacular. They have a ceramic / Nicasil liner that's good for damn near anything you can throw at it too. http://www.lsmeng.com/Billet-Blocks.html
Old 01-03-2016, 06:44 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Last edited by usmcpony; 01-03-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:56 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Lsx iron stuffed with forged bits, mast heads, f1x or twins. Get ready to bank roll heart ache lol

Quick Reply: [Z06] Building a 1300hp LS7