Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DIY 3" Muffler Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by dart.deanda
Congratulations! At $20/lb-ft, that is incredible value! Of course it omits the 15 hours of labor, but hey, it's a learning experience and justification for buying all that welding gear. I am thinking I should buy a welder and plasma cutter for just this reason! Did you use a plasma cutter for the cuts? Did you put your car on a lift to R2 the mufflers? Did you have to drop the cradle? Cheers!
Thanks! Yeah, the labor takes some time, but you know, sun on my shoulders, beer in my hand, working on a Z without breaking much of a sweat, it was an enjoyable project for sure. I used a Dremel Ultra Saw with a "thin" 3.5" cutting wheel for the cuts. Plasma could work though, but I prefer the cutoff wheel. I used jackstands on a relatively tall height, I did not have to drop the cradle to sneak the Pass Side in or out. Although I did scratch the fiberglass hatch tub on removal and installation. I wouldn't want to do that another 3x without dropping the cradle, it would run the risk of cracking that fiberglass. If you are gentle, no forcing anything, you will be just fine without dropping the cradle. Use WD40 on the general area, lots of twisting the pipe to get that extra 1/'16", took me maybe 5 mins to get them both out, another 5 mins to put them both back in. So, really quick, not easy, but patience is key.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:02 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
So these came in today

I have a problem with my exhaust tips cracking, so im looking for another set of stock mufflers, if not then i will have to fix these.

And these came in yesterday. Not too shabby, 1 week and 2 days from China.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Great to read that most of your parts arrived. Sorry to read the tips are cracking, where are they cracking exactly? Maybe they can be reused?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 AM
v8sten
Drifting

on the very edge, where you ground it down to separate the inner and outer pieces. im trying to keep the double wall tips.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

I think you can make some spot welds in that area and still get a high quality finish to the polished ss. I polished my single wall tips, 200-400-800-1000-1500, black compound, red compound, Simichrome. Not completely done yet, but mine look good. I wouldn't be shy at all about some metal fab on shiny areas, just takes some time to bring the luster back.

If it were me, I would think about repair first before the ordeal of replacing with another set of mufflers.

Props to you for retaining the double wall, they are nice. It could be done if cut on the outer taper at the precise line.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:35 PM
v8sten
Drifting

its gunna be a b!tch but i wanna keep it. gunna be a lot of trimming and fitting, trimming and fitting, etc
Old 12-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Just putting the final edits on my how to. The devil is in the details as they say. Hoping by the end of the week. My apologies for the delay.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:06 PM
v8sten
Drifting

no problem, i havent even started on mine yet
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow this is amazing work! That's a nice gain as well! Any before/after idle vids?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I posted up a before/after video in post #36. Let me know what you think!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:44 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I posted up a before/after video in post #36. Let me know what you think!
I still havent seen an idle vid with you pulling the fuse while running
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Ha, popcorn. Sorry man. The tranny is out right now, installing a Monster LT1S clutch. Also recovering from neurosurgery last week, so it might be a week or two before it's back together. I'll make sure I get a good video though.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Ha, popcorn. Sorry man. The tranny is out right now, installing a Monster LT1S clutch. Also recovering from neurosurgery last week, so it might be a week or two before it's back together. I'll make sure I get a good video though.
Holy **** man...take your time and relax.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Holy **** man...take your time and relax.
Probably good advice.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:12 PM
v8sten
Drifting

uh yah this isnt that important, get better first. then you can make that vid
Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I'm up and around, just not lifting things. The trans is out of the car at the moment, otherwise I'd make a quick clip. It's really identical to the fusion though, for which there are numerous clips online.

I'm going to grind the welds running around the muffler can smooth while the trans is out. I also bought a 21 piece polishing kit to bring out as much bling from the tips as I can, and a tube of simichrome.

Unrelated to the muffler mod, I shipped my LG Headers/x-pipe/intermediates to Swaintech for their White Lightning coating. So I'll be waiting on that stuff to return before I can hit the ignite button.

The DIY should be done in a couple days though.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds great!! I love it man. That's a great job!

Get notified of new replies

To DIY 3" Muffler Mod

Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 PM
mean94lt1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed I was wondering on doing this
Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Default Back from the Dead

Sorry it took so long. I made a quick video of the exhaust sound while running, pulling the fuse and putting it back in, some revs with the fuse in and fuse out.

I have driven the car for about 3k miles with the modded exhaust and I love it more each time I drive it. By far, dollar for dollar, the absolute best mod for our Z06s. ZERO drone while quiet, and HOLY F%^king Goat B@!!s loud under WOT.

I drove it 5 hours to Ocala for the wannaGOFAST 1/2 mile and it was an absolute cruise ship at 70mph. I have a friend who just gave me a drive in his C6Z, same cam, same headers (Except he has cats!), but he has a Corsa exhaust, his drones through 1600 or so pretty bad. I cannot emphasize enough that there is ZERO drone with this mod, no cats, and mine is still more civil. Cost $1000 less, more sound, no drone.

Why other people pay for exhaust systems is just beyond me. I've heard Borla and it drones like crazy, I've heard Corsa and it droned in a 100 rpm range. If you do this mod you can have an aftermarket exhaust system sound without the drone penalty, then you can go out and put new valve guides in your heads with the left over cash.

Here is the sound clip:

I spent about 2 hours editing the DIY today. It will be done this week, I just want to give people a clear "how to" with all the tips and tricks I know. And there are about 140 slides, so it's taking me a hot minute to detail everything I did. Basically, you'll become a blacksmith for an entire weekend, cutting, welding, cutting, more welding, measuring 3x, etc.

Josh
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh B.:
MTPZ06 (02-02-2016), v8sten (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM
tbran6
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry it took so long. I made a quick video of the exhaust sound while running, pulling the fuse and putting it back in, some revs with the fuse in and fuse out.

I have driven the car for about 3k miles with the modded exhaust and I love it more each time I drive it. By far, dollar for dollar, the absolute best mod for our Z06s. ZERO drone while quiet, and HOLY F%^king Goat B@!!s loud under WOT.

I drove it 5 hours to Ocala for the wannaGOFAST 1/2 mile and it was an absolute cruise ship at 70mph. I have a friend who just gave me a drive in his C6Z, same cam, same headers (Except he has cats!), but he has a Corsa exhaust, his drones through 1600 or so pretty bad. I cannot emphasize enough that there is ZERO drone with this mod, no cats, and mine is still more civil. Cost $1000 less, more sound, no drone.

Why other people pay for exhaust systems is just beyond me. I've heard Borla and it drones like crazy, I've heard Corsa and it droned in a 100 rpm range. If you do this mod you can have an aftermarket exhaust system sound without the drone penalty, then you can go out and put new valve guides in your heads with the left over cash.

Here is the sound clip:
https://youtu.be/1Kp6FSaY9F8

I spent about 2 hours editing the DIY today. It will be done this week, I just want to give people a clear "how to" with all the tips and tricks I know. And there are about 140 slides, so it's taking me a hot minute to detail everything I did. Basically, you'll become a blacksmith for an entire weekend, cutting, welding, cutting, more welding, measuring 3x, etc.

Josh
Brilliant....this will be in my top 5 mods when I get my Z06 soon. Looking forward to the DIY info.

Josh B rocks

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY 3" Muffler Mod