Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Class Action Against GM !!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:48 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
As someone mentioned before, I cannot wait to see what evidence is produced from discovery... if the lawsuit ever gets to that point and the information is finally open to public records search. I think that information release will be the most interesting part of this process.

There seems to be so much debate and arguing on this site regarding the actual existence of the valve issue. And of course, I can understand GM doesn't want to officially comment because anything you say can later come back to bite you... However, had GM been a little more open about results of their own internal investigation, I feel it would have garnered a little more trust instead of their "machining error on some heads from 2009-2011" statement. I think GM failed to realize the Corvette customer is oftentimes very very different from the customer who purchases an Equinox (for example). Maybe I'm wrong though - the C7 Z06's seem to be selling like hotcakes.

Anyway, can't wait to see if any internal info becomes open to the public.
GM's interns are busy shredding all the evidence. In a lot of ways the new GM is the old GM. Unless they can get one of the powertrain engineers to speak up it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
It was an outside idea. . I'm not an attorney, but i play one on the Internet.

Yea I've heard of you, SurfnSun, NLPA

Non Licensed Practicing Attorney
The following users liked this post:
SurfnSun (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 05:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
As someone mentioned before, I cannot wait to see what evidence is produced from discovery... if the lawsuit ever gets to that point and the information is finally open to public records search. I think that information release will be the most interesting part of this process.

There seems to be so much debate and arguing on this site regarding the actual existence of the valve issue. And of course, I can understand GM doesn't want to officially comment because anything you say can later come back to bite you... However, had GM been a little more open about results of their own internal investigation, I feel it would have garnered a little more trust instead of their "machining error on some heads from 2009-2011" statement. I think GM failed to realize the Corvette customer is oftentimes very very different from the customer who purchases an Equinox (for example). Maybe I'm wrong though - the C7 Z06's seem to be selling like hotcakes.

Anyway, can't wait to see if any internal info becomes open to the public.
The C6Z06 also sold like hotcakes when it was introduced into the C6 lineup...GM tooled up to produce only 7,000 Z06's annually(or 20% of the total C6 production based on 35,000 C6's produced annually).

2006---18.4% of total C6 production
2007---20.1% of total C6 production
2008---21.9% of total C6 production
2009---20.4% of total C6 production, even with another model introduced to syphon off some of it's sales(the ZR1), and the economy going into a downward spin.

Let's wait and see how the sales of the C7 Z06 is doing when it completes four years of production and another high performance model is introduced into the line up(ZR1 equivalent) and then a lower priced model(GS equivalent) in introduced into the line up.

What we didn't know in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, was that there was a problem with wornout(from what ever cause) valve guides, and dropping exhaust valves.

I don't think GM will let it get to the point where "discovery" is allowed. They will settle before that(if a judge doesn't throw it out of court before that point). GM doesn't want their dirty laundry aired in public.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-24-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Got my letter from the law firm today. It stated that the the nation wide class action has been filed against GM and that GM is in the process of being served. A response from GM is expected in about a month.

DH
The following 4 users liked this post by Dirty Howie:
AZDANZ06 (10-24-2015), bada (10-25-2015), bambihunter (10-25-2015), FSTFRC (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

So, you have had to pay no legal fees to have the suit filed?

Have you asked the law firm about GM'S first legal defense, which is they filed for bankruptcy?

Unless it can be "proved" in court (by means of emails, memos, letters, etc.) from within GM that they were intentionally covering up a product defect (basically, I may be wrong but I believe it has to be proved they knowingly committed fraud), otherwise any liability from a lawsuit such as this will be considered as part of the normal course of business, and in bankruptcy law would discharge GM from any liability.

Now if the attorneys filed the lawsuit in the hopes that GM would settle out of court to avoid the embarrassment and cost of resources of a lawsuit consumes, I wish you luck, but you never know. I am very interested in how this procedes.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:37 PM
z06 inspired
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking I should join this suit but i'm not sure if it will help me, however, if it helps someone else then I'm in. 08 dropped a valve, warranty work denied because car had a tune on it.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:45 PM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Got my letter from the law firm today. It stated that the the nation wide class action has been filed against GM and that GM is in the process of being served. A response from GM is expected in about a month.

DH
Subscribed
Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U

Have you asked the law firm about GM'S first legal defense, which is they filed for bankruptcy?

Unless it can be "proved" in court (by means of emails, memos, letters, etc.) from within GM that they were intentionally covering up a product defect (basically, I may be wrong but I believe it has to be proved they knowingly committed fraud), otherwise any liability from a lawsuit such as this will be considered as part of the normal course of business, and in bankruptcy law would discharge GM from any liability.

Now if the attorneys filed the lawsuit in the hopes that GM would settle out of court to avoid the embarrassment and cost of resources of a lawsuit consumes, I wish you luck, but you never know. I am very interested in how this procedes.

Good luck!
The law firm shoulders all the costs win or lose. There is plenty of evidence of the problem, we have plenty of ammunition to back it up. That's all I can say, if GM is smart they will settle out of court, or have another black eye in the media on top of the ignition switch suit and the lovely new C7 Z06 issues, the Corvette Brand will tarnish if they do not step up to the plate and do what is right.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:05 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
The law firm shoulders all the costs win or lose. There is plenty of evidence of the problem, we have plenty of ammunition to back it up. That's all I can say, if GM is smart they will settle out of court, or have another black eye in the media on top of the ignition switch suit and the lovely new C7 Z06 issues, the Corvette Brand will tarnish if they do not step up to the plate and do what is right.
They shoulder the cost and they profit if they win. The scraps go to the owners.

Honestly there isn't enough here to damage GM or cause a media frenzy about this. Its a high end sports car made for people with excess cash to spend on a toy. The public will feel as bad as they would if a defect was announced about a Bugatti. "Oh poor them"

Sorry, just my take on the situation. Sell it or fix it. Even if settlement is reached noone is getting a free engine or heads. Everyone will get a check for like $37 after all is said and done. Possibly a recall on late model engines. Everyone older than 2012 will get nothing but a small settlement check. How do you think they will handle the settlement? Original owners only? 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand owners of the same vehicle will profit as well. So many potential issues with this since these cars have so much overturn in owners.

Sorry, there are things to put your energy into it, but this isn't it. People just need to move on. GM's bankruptcy will be its protection and that will be that.

Last edited by propain; 10-24-2015 at 10:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wukyone (11-12-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RACE U

Good luck!
There were no fees to the claimants.

The law firm is fully aware of the bankrupsy and if you read the claim you will see some of the reasons that bankrpusy may not cover GM.

In addition GM recently did the Fuse Box recall and now the Clutch and did not exclude the model years before the bankrupsy.

DH
Old 10-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z06 inspired
I'm thinking I should join this suit but i'm not sure if it will help me, however, if it helps someone else then I'm in. 08 dropped a valve, warranty work denied because car had a tune on it.
You are automatically in it as part of the class action

DH
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by propain
They shoulder the cost and they profit if they win. The scraps go to the owners.

Honestly there isn't enough here to damage GM or cause a media frenzy about this. Its a high end sports car made for people with excess cash to spend on a toy. The public will feel as bad as they would if a defect was announced about a Bugatti. "Oh poor them"

Sorry, just my take on the situation. Sell it or fix it. Even if settlement is reached noone is getting a free engine or heads. Everyone will get a check for like $37 after all is said and done. Possibly a recall on late model engines. Everyone older than 2012 will get nothing but a small settlement check. How do you think they will handle the settlement? Original owners only? 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand owners of the same vehicle will profit as well. So many potential issues with this since these cars have so much overturn in owners.

Sorry, there are things to put your energy into it, but this isn't it. People just need to move on. GM's bankruptcy will be its protection and that will be that.

Like I have said before, at least we are trying to do something about it with GM, much like other BS in life like our Government, do we continue to let both of them continually screw us at our expense? I could care less about the money, it's about principle at this point.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Agreed with Dan. At least make them pay. Owners won't be made whole, but if it cost GM $30M or something, I would be happy with that. They can't just get away with this ****. If it doesn't hit them in the pocket books they will just keep doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
<<427_V8>> (10-24-2015), AZDANZ06 (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
Agreed with Dan. At least make them pay. Owners won't be made whole, but if it cost GM $30M or something, I would be happy with that. They can't just get away with this ****. If it doesn't hit them in the pocket books they will just keep doing it.
Amen
Old 10-24-2015, 11:31 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yes! This!

The more you hold GM accountable for their actions, the better the cars in the future will be. No reason NOT to go after them when the drop the ball like this!
Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Like I have said before, at least we are trying to do something about it with GM, much like other BS in life like our Government, do we continue to let both of them continually screw us at our expense? I could care less about the money, it's about principle at this point.

I hear you and I wish all those luck who wish to devote the precious time we have on this planet toward this goal. Life is simply too short for me to waste my time. Fix or sell is my feeling. I have too much on my plate to chase GM for the BS flaws in their manufacturing QC. Been around too long to know this is not something that will be resolved quickly.

But since were talking about it, I see many including yourself saying they want this to settle out of court to avoid GM getting egg on their face publicly and damaging their brand. How will this improve GM products in the future? It wont. Its simply hush money. Those willing to accept and out of court monetary settlement so GM avoids public scrutiny are doing nothing to better the quality control going forward. They are just simply looking to get money for their loss. So come on... its nothing to do with getting a better product down the road. Its everything to do with compensation.

Just sayin...

Last edited by propain; 10-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Class Action Against GM !!??

Old 10-25-2015, 02:37 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

I hope it turns out favorable for us Z06 owners, but I will gladly cash my $37 check and let our counsel hit it big...better the money go our counsel than for GM to keep in in their wallet.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

To the people that are saying the end result is not worth their time/ efforts/resources?
Really? Are you serious?
If someone is doing something wrong you will only speak up/ take action if it is worth your time ? Perhaps I misunderstood?
Maybe I was cut from a different cloth. Kudos to the ones that got this lawsuit going.
Holding manufactuors accountable is extremenly important. This defect issue is real. However it doesn't directly affect every zo6 owner but it does affect a substantial number and the defect does have the potential of killing someone.
What is wrong with people now a days? What is wrong with saying ...hey we goofed.. We are sorry... but we will fix it. Usually if that is said people work with each other, Lieing , denying and hiding usually just makes it much worse. Step up GM. Just say " aw dammit we screwed up... How can we fix this zo6 owners?" Can you imagine how GM's creditability, it's imagine and it's sales would soar. Long term goals are much more important.
The following 2 users liked this post by olddragger:
bambihunter (10-25-2015), CTYANK2 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Luckily Dan took on the effort, and the other 99.9% of us just sit back and relax. The work is done, there is nothing to do now but sit back and wait. Not that hard to do.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Class Action Against GM !!??