Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Drag Racing on MPSS Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Drag Racing on MPSS Tires

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide (yes, I have read up on Ranger's recommended drag racing techniques). I went to the 1/8 mile strip at Atmore AL last weekend. I did horrible. 2.3 was my best 60 foot time @ 91 mph. Spin. Bog. Spin. That was pretty much it. I forgot to take traction control off. Why is it recommended to have it off? Also, anyone with experience with MPSS 345/30/19s have a recommended launch RPM and recommended PSI? I did the second gear burn out. I am running the stock clutch. Do I have to do the burnout every run even if there is little traffic at the strip? I just can't seem to hook at all through 1st gear. It was even getting squirrely in 2nd gear, and barked 3rd. All the car has on it is ARH long tubes and a KNN FIPK as far as I know. Man does it pull strong, wish I could get it to hook. What is a good 1/4 time on MPSS? Thanks for all the help! Kind regards, d'Art
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I see dollar bills flashing through my mind every time the MPSS' s spin. Can't imagine doing a burnout. ....... I'd just get a rear set for drag racing. Some sticky drag radials.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael_D:
dart.deanda (10-08-2015), LV Vette (11-11-2019), TRSCobra (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

How high are you launching the car? Are you easing into the gas pedal or just smashing it off the line?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I could pretty much dump my 325 mpss tires with the stock clutch and pull 1.7 60ft easily. Once I got a clutch it all went out the window....
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Default Launch RPM

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
How high are you launching the car? Are you easing into the gas pedal or just smashing it off the line?
I was launching around 2500, and releasing clutch and adding throttle at the same time. Came home, re-read every post Ranger made on three different sites, and concluded I need to get higher on RPMs, maybe up to 3500. I need to let the clutch out fully and quickly, and THEN linearly add throttle slowly until I top out 1st gear, modulating to maintain traction (not an easy feat).

I basically tried this at quite a few red lights and stop signs today (the first part, releasing the clutch, not hammering it to red line in 1st). I feel like I am getting the hang of it. Kind of like competition handgun shooting: slow is smooth, smooth is fast? I get all the blood boiling at the line and want to kill it and it's hard to resist mashing the throttle even thoug,h there I am spinning and knowing I'm going slow, wanting to magically get traction...
Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Default Dump clutch on 325 MPSS?

Originally Posted by rio95
I could pretty much dump my 325 mpss tires with the stock clutch and pull 1.7 60ft easily. Once I got a clutch it all went out the window....
No way, I just can't get traction. Maybe because I did not do an extended burnout as I (like Michael_D) saw the $$$ smoking away on my $500 per 345s.... I basically just spun the tires in 1st to get the crap off them.

Do burnouts work with MPSS? Do they warm up and stick and provide value for a better time?

This is the last time I'm going to the drag strip. I just want to get a low 12 and I'll be happy, 11.9x would be gravy, but unless the sun shines on this dog's a$$ I won't be seeing it until I get some DRs, C5 axles, new clutch?, and a shitton of seat time... Thanks all for your responses!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by dart.deanda
Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide (yes, I have read up on Ranger's recommended drag racing techniques). I went to the 1/8 mile strip at Atmore AL last weekend. I did horrible. 2.3 was my best 60 foot time @ 91 mph. Spin. Bog. Spin. That was pretty much it. I forgot to take traction control off. Why is it recommended to have it off? Also, anyone with experience with MPSS 345/30/19s have a recommended launch RPM and recommended PSI? I did the second gear burn out. I am running the stock clutch. Do I have to do the burnout every run even if there is little traffic at the strip? I just can't seem to hook at all through 1st gear. It was even getting squirrely in 2nd gear, and barked 3rd. All the car has on it is ARH long tubes and a KNN FIPK as far as I know. Man does it pull strong, wish I could get it to hook. What is a good 1/4 time on MPSS? Thanks for all the help! Kind regards, d'Art
2.73 gear ratio is your problem on 60ft times
Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora
2.73 gear ratio is your problem on 60ft times
4+ year old thread, and all z06/zr1 comes with 3.42s so where are you getting 2.73 gear ratio from?

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Racing on MPSS Tires

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drag Racing on MPSS Tires