Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sticky Clutch Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 PM
John24
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky Clutch Recall

Anyone else receive this in the mail recently? I think it's just a flush and refill on the clutch fluid. It also states if this has caused any repairs, you may be able to get some money back. I might take my car in early next spring for it, I had my clutch slave cylinder replaced last year because the clutch got stuck to the ground, per the mailer, this is covered.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John24
Anyone else receive this in the mail recently? I think it's just a flush and refill on the clutch fluid. It also states if this has caused any repairs, you may be able to get some money back. I might take my car in early next spring for it, I had my clutch slave cylinder replaced last year because the clutch got stuck to the ground, per the mailer, this is covered.

No, not just a flush and refill. If you have had this issue they will replace the slave cylinder in your clutch as it is a safety issue caused by a high pressure pulse during self adjustment. Its a $950.00 dollar repair.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM
John24
Advanced

Will the repair be covered?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I thought the published notice #14717 said the clutch master cylinder was to be replaced if it failed...but no mention of the slave cylinder ?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the letter for my 06 as well, will schedule some time to get this done.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I got the letter yesterday too. hopefully I can get it taken care of soon.

how do these recalls work? we don't have to pay a dime right?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM
WHY TRY?
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone brought their receipt to a Chevrolet dealer, because you had to replace your clutch, master, and slave cylinder?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM
GotZoom
Advanced

I received the letter yesterday as well. It is not a recall per say.. However as it states, "If you believe your vehicle has this condition..." then take it to a gm dealer for service.

I have experienced this issue twice within the year I have owned the car and the worst was last week. I shifted into third and the car instantly pulsed and the clutch pedal hung just off the floor. I put it back into neutral and pulled over and instantly began to smell burnt clutch.

I let the car cool just a bit and drove it home with no apparent issues and the clutch and pedal felt tight, no slippage or hanging pedal.

Should I be worried about the clutch and flywheel after the clutch smell? I check the clutch fluid and it is black. I was going to change it out this weekend but now received the letter.

Again my big concern here is the clutch itself and whether or not the condition stated in the letter would have any ill effects on the clutch itself.. Any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 AM
GotZoom
Advanced

So I just got off the phone with the Corvette Tech manager at my dealer and he said they have to run tests on the car to determine if the problem for the tsb exists before it is replaced. Oh and they charge for this diagnostic as well. He said that if they don't find any issues, it is an out of pocket expense to cover the diagnostic. Not sure what everyone else is paying for labor rates, but at $125/hr, I may have to think about even having them look at it. I guess I can just wait for it to happen again and have them come pick it up. Sometimes I hate living in oil country with limited dealers. No competition and they basically know they have you by the you know what.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:31 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

that seems like bull. good way for them to make money. Send a bulletin out and make 100% of the people pay them $125/hr when only 1% of the cars have the problem.

meanwhile some kid at $15/hr is doing the test and the rest is just profit.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My claim was just denied, because I replaced it with a better part.

Guess that this is one of the reasons that the three vehicle I bought after the Corvette are not GM products.

Last edited by timd38; 10-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That is not right at all...GM should at least reimburse you the wholesale cost of the replacement GM part.

Utter nonsense...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

What the hell is 'a high-pressure pulse during a clutch self-adjustment event'?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
That is not right at all...GM should at least reimburse you the wholesale cost of the replacement GM part.

Utter nonsense...
I agree, I would have been happy with anything......
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So i took mine in to Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island, NY. Told them the car has the symptom, the other day the clutch got stuck down. Took a few seconds and pumps to get it back up. So with the letters arrival at the same time... why not bring it in.
Took it in and their response was, we will check it out, but if it is not the cause of the issue we are charging you $200 just for looking at it plus whatever parts are needed to fix it.... if it is the issue they reported then no charge.

With that said, what is my worst case? Pedal got stuck the other day....
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by GotZoom
So I just got off the phone with the Corvette Tech manager at my dealer and he said they have to run tests on the car to determine if the problem for the tsb exists before it is replaced. Oh and they charge for this diagnostic as well. He said that if they don't find any issues, it is an out of pocket expense to cover the diagnostic. Not sure what everyone else is paying for labor rates, but at $125/hr, I may have to think about even having them look at it. I guess I can just wait for it to happen again and have them come pick it up. Sometimes I hate living in oil country with limited dealers. No competition and they basically know they have you by the you know what.
That is pretty much how things work with all potential out of B2B warranty problems. You agree to pay for them to diagnose the problem and if they don't find a problem you are charged. If they do find a problem then you aren't charged. This reduces the number of hypochondriacs who tend to flood repair shops when any type of potential problem is announced. How many people run into the shop every time they see TSBs that might apply to their car.

My car has tended to have the clutch pedal drop to the floor when I am on track over the last year. I had never had this problem in 17 years of owning manual transmission C5s and the 08Z. Then when the engine was replaced in 2011 I took the opportunity to add a remote clutch bleeder so I could flush the fluid every now and then. I didn't actually flush the fluid until 2013 and since I started flushing the fluid I get the pedal dropping. It does it several times per day and I have to reach down with my toe and pull it up while on track. Even with a fresh set of Super DOT 4 it will still gradually go down. I may mention it to the dealership mechanic when I go to get my oil changed next month.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Z06-HEC* (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
GotZoom
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06-HEC*
So i took mine in to Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island, NY. Told them the car has the symptom, the other day the clutch got stuck down. Took a few seconds and pumps to get it back up. So with the letters arrival at the same time... why not bring it in.
Took it in and their response was, we will check it out, but if it is not the cause of the issue we are charging you $200 just for looking at it plus whatever parts are needed to fix it.... if it is the issue they reported then no charge.

With that said, what is my worst case? Pedal got stuck the other day....

Well I decided to contact GM's customer service and they were very understanding and great to work with. They didn't blink an eye and contacted my dealer to let them know that the diagnostic fee would be waived by GM directly even if my issue was unrelated to the letter that was sent out. This is the first time I had ever called into them and I must say I was pretty impressed with their willingness to listen to me and willingness to make a customer happy.

Read more: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...#ixzz3nu9q6rT1
The following users liked this post:
Z06-HEC* (10-07-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Clutch Recall

Old 10-08-2015, 12:38 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John24
There is another thread on this already!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:23 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
What the hell is 'a high-pressure pulse during a clutch self-adjustment event'?
Anybody???
Old 10-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^ I also have no idea...sounds like a description of the system burping air ??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sticky Clutch Recall