Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Titanium Connecting Rods - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 AM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Titanium Connecting Rods - Pics

During discussions with a good friend that worked at GM, we had several conversations about the LS7 engine and specifically about the connecting rods.

He was aware of the problems of the wear and destruction of the titanium rod where they are right next to each other. He described the root cause of the issue as "float" and that this was an engine that used fully skirted pistons. What he meant by "float" is beyond my understanding but thought I'd include it. When this issue was uncovered, the supplier had to change the manufacturing process and the metallurgy was modified. This may have been the famous "coating" that has been discussed on this board. If anyone else has pictures of their LS7 connecting rods, I'd be interested in seeing them for comparison.

They also had problems with the crankcase venting as the engine would only run 1800 RPM maximum. He described taking a hole saw and drilling "vents" at the recommendations of the engineers to see if they could get it to perform better.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of three connecting rods that were developed for the LS7 and LS9 programs. The left one is steel, the middle is titanium and the right is from the LS9 engine and the material is forged titanium. He said that it came from a company in Germany by the name of PankL that would guarantee the 650 HP on the supercharged engine. He said they were over $2,000 each for the prototypes. They are now available for just over $720 each from Pace. It is much lighter that the LS7 titanium rod and my buddy said that the entire prototype LS9 engines cost between $800,000 and $1,000,000 per copy.

They would blow them up and determine what failed.

HH
Attached Images    

Last edited by HoldHard; 09-21-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoldHard
During discussions with a good friend that worked at GM, we had several conversations about the LS7 engine and specifically about the connecting rods.

He was aware of the problems of the wear and destruction of the titanium rod where they are right next to each other. He described the root cause of the issue as "float" and that this was an engine that used fully skirted pistons. What he meant by "float" is beyond my understanding but thought I'd include it. When this issue was uncovered, the supplier had to change the manufacturing process and the metallurgy was modified. This may have been the famous "coating" that has been discussed on this board. If anyone else has pictures of their LS7 connecting rods, I'd be interested in seeing them for comparison.

They also had problems with the crankcase venting as the engine would only run 1800 RPM maximum. He described taking a hole saw and drilling "vents" at the recommendations of the engineers to see if they could get it to perform better.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of three connecting rods that were developed for the LS7 and LS9 programs. The left one is steel, the middle is titanium and the right is from the LS9 engine and the material is forged titanium. He said that it came from a company in Germany by the name of PankL that would guarantee the 650 HP on the supercharged engine. He said they were over $2,000 each for the prototypes. They are now available for just over $720 each from Pace. It is much lighter that the LS7 titanium rod and my buddy said that the entire prototype LS9 engines cost between $800,000 and $1,000,000 per copy.

They would blow them up and determine what failed.

HH
Production LS9 rods are almost identical in weight to production LS7 rods (ie. in the 462 gr range). So are the rods you're speaking of (which are "much lighter" than LS7s and available at $720 each) a non-production special version of rod available along side of the production LS7 and LS9 rods they already sell? And do these special rods still use a .985" pin of the LS9 or are they .925" like the LS7 or are they traditional .927" pins?

Oh and how much lighter is "much lighter" and how did they manage to knock that much weight off an already extremely light (200-250 gr lighter than steel) titanium rod?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 AM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Then again, even the PankL's have their limits.... link.

Forum member's ZR1 and the associated story about what happened to his engine. The new name for his white ZR1 is S'mores....

HH
Attached Images  

Last edited by HoldHard; 09-21-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 AM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Production LS9 rods are almost identical in weight to production LS7 rods (ie. in the 462 gr range). So are the rods you're speaking of (which are "much lighter" than LS7s and available at $720 each) a non-production special version of rod available along side of the production LS7 and LS9 rods they already sell? And do these special rods still use a .985" pin of the LS9 or are they .925" like the LS7 or are they traditional .927" pins?

Oh and how much lighter is "much lighter" and how did they manage to knock that much weight off an already extremely light (200-250 gr lighter than steel) titanium rod?

Cheers, Paul.
Paul, I was going by "feel" as there was no scale available. If my buddy still has them, I'll see what they weigh. They could have been prototype parts.

HH

Last edited by HoldHard; 09-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoldHard
Paul, I was going by "feel" as there was no scale available. If my buddy still has them, I'll see what they weigh. They could have been prototype parts.

HH
Like I said, IF they are standard production rods I'm sure they will be within grams of the 462 the LS7 rods weigh, they are shorter at 5.980 vs the 6.067 of the LS7 rod. IF the rod your buddy has is significantly lighter than 462 you can be pretty well guaranteed it is not a production model and therefore not available, even at $720 each. That said, I'd love to be wrong about this.

As for Whatcop's ZR1, looks to me like it was either a piston pin failure, or a rod bolt (and an ARP at that!!!)...the rod itself doesn't look like it was broken, at 884 rwhp and tons of abuse.

Cheers, Paul.
The following users liked this post:
C6 Curtis (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Like I said, IF they are standard production rods I'm sure they will be within grams of the 462 the LS7 rods weigh, they are shorter at 5.980 vs the 6.067 of the LS7 rod. IF the rod your buddy has is significantly lighter than 462 you can be pretty well guaranteed it is not a production model and therefore not available, even at $720 each. That said, I'd love to be wrong about this.

As for Whatcop's ZR1, looks to me like it was either a piston pin failure, or a rod bolt (and an ARP at that!!!)...the rod itself doesn't look like it was broken, at 884 rwhp and tons of abuse.

Cheers, Paul.
+1 That rod looks fine to me. To be honest I think they can make around 1000-1200 whp. They just need the bolts. That was Def not a rod failure. There hasn't been one seen yet that's been overpowered.

-Curtis

Get notified of new replies

To Titanium Connecting Rods - Pics

Quick Reply: [Z06] Titanium Connecting Rods - Pics