Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Slow throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow throttle response

Ok had the car for about a month now as I do love it!!!
However as I become more comfortable with it and I am stating to get
more squirly with It and I feel the throttle response is a bit slow. I feel this will cause issues at higher speeds. Anyone know of a fix for this ? Does anyone else feel this way and is it just me over reacting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Last edited by Sean Gibbs; 09-19-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Gibbs
Ok had the car for about a month now as I do love it!!!
However as I become more comfortable with it and I am stating to get
more squirly with It and I feel the throttle response is a bit slow. I feel this will cause issues at higher speeds. Anyone know of a fix for this ? Does anyone else feel this way and is it just me over reacting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
You may not be used to the "drive by wire" throttle response. I've seen some plug and play throttle booster deal that I think plugs into the OBDII port, but I really have no interest in a twitchy throttle. Others swear by a vendor "Chuck COW" and his throttle booster that re-maps the drive by wire tables in the computer. Supposedly a proprietary program that he developed. Do a search for him and decide for yourself if that's the right thing for you.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

How high of a speed are you talking about? Throttle response in 4th gear at 110+ is pretty good until you get over 150 and then it drops off since you are approaching red line and are several hundred rpm past the power peak.

Anything below that depends on the gear and how fast you put your foot down. The ECM will keep the throttle from opening too fast so you don't get too much air too soon. Pulling out to pass somebody while in third gear running at 85 to 90 will get your attention when you nail the throttle. Car will hit 123 on the limiter in 3rd and it happens fast and is easy to do when you are paying attention to cars around and in front of you. I usually shift from 3rd to 4th somewhere around 106 which gets you close to the peak HP rpm.

Bill
Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How high of a speed are you talking about? Throttle response in 4th gear at 110+ is pretty good until you get over 150 and then it drops off since you are approaching red line and are several hundred rpm past the power peak.

Anything below that depends on the gear and how fast you put your foot down. The ECM will keep the throttle from opening too fast so you don't get too much air too soon. Pulling out to pass somebody while in third gear running at 85 to 90 will get your attention when you nail the throttle. Car will hit 123 on the limiter in 3rd and it happens fast and is easy to do when you are paying attention to cars around and in front of you. I usually shift from 3rd to 4th somewhere around 106 which gets you close to the peak HP rpm.

Bill
Id have to say what brought it to my attention was the other day
I taped the throttle a few times to prepair to pull out on a busy road and it just felt like a delayed reaction.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:02 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

This is the throttle response map changes COW does with his tune.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
This is the throttle response map changes COW does with his tune.

Would doing this void my warranty? I do have a 4 year 48k from gm
Old 09-20-2015, 02:16 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

It just so happens that I spoke to Chuck on the phone the other day regarding his "Cow Booster" product. He told me not to worry a bit about warranty when using his product. Now remember, this was a "virtual quote" from Chuck - not GM !!

Another way to eliminate lag would be to consider a ported TB and/or CAI. These products, while not making for much in the way of measurable power (despite claims to the contrary,) DO, in fact, really contribute to a far more responsive pedal/throttle !!

Good luck !!

Gary

Last edited by beamg5; 09-20-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2015, 02:48 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Man there are a lot of throttle threads today.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oller-wow.html

Woke my stock A6 car up. Doesn't touch ECU, removable, 9 sport settings, cheap - perfect first mod.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Man there are a lot of throttle threads today.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oller-wow.html

Woke my stock A6 car up. Doesn't touch ECU, removable, 9 sport settings, cheap - perfect first mod.
is it difficult to install?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Originally Posted by Sean Gibbs
is it difficult to install?
Nope.

Some where able to disconnect the throttle harness without removing the pedal assembly but I wasn't. Not a big deal, just loosen the two bolts to un-mount the assembly, unlock and disconnect the harness, plug in the unit, mount the throttle assembly back, tuck unit and wires, figure out a mount for the head unit (I velcro underneath exactly like in the thread), programmed it for SP6 and enjoyed my new driving - in fact I'm going to go for a run in a few minutes

It's all in the thread.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Bad idea.

Originally Posted by beamg5
It just so happens that I spoke to Chuck on the phone the other day regarding his "Cow Booster" product. He told me not to worry a bit about warranty when using his product. Now remember, this was a "virtual quote" from Chuck - not GM !!

Another way to eliminate lag would be to consider a ported TB and/or CAI. These products, while not making for much in the way of measurable power (despite claims to the contrary,) DO, in fact, really contribute to a far more responsive pedal/throttle !!

Good luck !!

Gary

Ported throttle bodies are a complete waste of money and additionally can cause lots of idle and drive problems.

People that sell Doo-Dads on the forms usually sell them because they are cheap and can usually be installed at home....

Talk to any of the good reputable tuners on the forum and they will usually discourage the use of ported throttle bodies...

While "porting" sounds like a GOOD thing to do... It's a full length thread/discussion to explain why it's a bad idea.

Do some research.
Chuck CoW
Old 09-23-2015, 02:19 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

4.10's in my old C5Z took care of DBW throttle response... Yep you just have to get used to it in the C6Z.. some days are better than others.. A cammed and modded motor helps as well. My buddies throttle response feels like a solid mounted rod attached to the gas pedal. (think old school hotrod carbed).. Stock is what it is.

Last edited by REDZED2; 09-23-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 AM
guido1205us
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
While "porting" sounds like a GOOD thing to do... It's a full length thread/discussion to explain why it's a bad idea.

Do some research.
Chuck CoW
I did - are you saying these guys are unreliable?

Dyno Results

Configuration 1.
Baseline: stock intake, stock throttle body, stock calibration: 363.80 rwhp/354.22 rwtq

Configuration 7.
VMax ported throttle body with stock tune: 377.83 rwhp/366.97 rwtq

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...olet-corvette/

+14 rwhp on a stock tune for $150 seems like a good value proposition to me.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:16 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Ported throttle bodies are a complete waste of money and additionally can cause lots of idle and drive problems.

People that sell Doo-Dads on the forms usually sell them because they are cheap and can usually be installed at home....

Talk to any of the good reputable tuners on the forum and they will usually discourage the use of ported throttle bodies...

Do some research.
Chuck CoW
So a ported FAST and ported TB to match is a bad idea even though it is proven to make more power?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Heck the first mods to my c5 z were ported TB and headers. you could tell the throttle response was MUCH improved. It will on any car, just like a ported and blueprinted carb. It is the first thing you feel when you crack open the throttle. Any LS motor will benefit even without a retune or MAF adjustments. Just from my experience.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I cant speak for Chuck, so I can only assume...but I'm guessing the point he is trying to make is that not all "porting" jobs are the same. There's more to porting than air flow. Things like turbulence, velocity, etc. play a part...so finding someone that knows what they are doing with proven results is obviously a must. I've seen guys have their heads ported to only lose HP...so "proven results" (time and time again) would be my disclaimer.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:14 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I cant speak for Chuck, so I can only assume...but I'm guessing the point he is trying to make is that not all "porting" jobs are the same. There's more to porting than air flow. Things like turbulence, velocity, etc. play a part...so finding someone that knows what they are doing with proven results is obviously a must. I've seen guys have their heads ported to only lose HP...so "proven results" (time and time again) would be my disclaimer.
Makes sense, and the reason I won't send in my cores.

Get notified of new replies

To Slow throttle response

Old 09-24-2015, 10:33 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default A ported fast.....

Originally Posted by zdeckich
So a ported FAST and ported TB to match is a bad idea even though it is proven to make more power?
A ported fast.....might help a bit, provided you have enough engine mods (more than just a cam) which most people don't.

A larger throttle body slows down the airflow at low speed and lower rpms making the tuning more

difficult and idle and decel less stable. For those of you whose cam cars surge on the highway, a fast 102 will only make it worse.

Let's step back from high school auto mechanics a bit.... BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER.

WAY WAY too many people still don't know this.

Why would you buy and port a FAST 102 for your stockish motor for in excess of $1,000. and only gain a few horse

and potentially create drivability problems???

There are way better things to spend that money on in most cases.

Back to larger and ported throttle bodies, 95% of the time big waste of money.

I totally get it.... They are cheap and you can do them at home even if you have no tools.

SO, everyone does it. That does not mean it's right or works.

Some of them look like artwork when they are done.... Some look like they were ported with a chain saw.

Either way, they do next-to-nothing for performance.

Again, the money is better spent elsewhere.

Back in highschool, the 750 Double pumper holley you had on your 305 camaro, didn't help performance....

Even though everyone thought it was a great idea.

Too bad most people will never know how much MORE they can get with LESS big ideas.

Chuck CoW
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default People like porting....

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
People like porting....and it sounds like a great idea....

Again, 95% of the people buying the services.... Don't really get much (if anything) from it.

MAX EFFORT builds and vehicles actually DO benefit from it.... Not huge, but it does help where every little bit matters

and money is not the limiting factor.

BACK TO THROTTLE RESPONSE:

If you want the most popular, proven, reliable solution for your lazy electronic throttle.....

CoW BOOSTER! is the only way to go. And right now, it's as much as $99 and many people got it this week for FREE.

You can too.

No wiring, no control box to mount, no unnecessary nothing.

Simple, SAFE, POWERFUL, PROVEN, .....and FREE!
Chuck CoW
Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

I have no doubt Chucks device works, everyone mostly has had a TB ported by a name person. Where simplistically not a lot of material is removed and more work in done on the blade and port past entry. I had Shaner do mine back in the day. he was the only guy back then. It isn't gonna get you more than 5-7 hp (not the reason) but there is now little to zero delay afterward. Chuck I'm sure your device does the desired effect for what the customer wants as well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Slow throttle response