Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help, slammed into curb sideways.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:38 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think about that until afterward hahahah... deeerrrrrrrrr....
Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad your getting it all fixed.

Bud
Old 10-10-2015, 01:55 PM
mistermog
Drifting

FINALLY.... done and done.

End result.. broke the knuckle and bearing.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

That'll buff right out.. My Dad has a killer set of tools..

Glad all is well - care to share the total damages?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:33 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Total parts wise was a rim, axle, knuckle, bearing and inner and outter tie rod. Also had the tire hit the rear fender and cracked it but im leaving that for now. Total bill buying parts myself and then punting to chevy was $2306 total
Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Like was said earlier, there was probably something other then the pictures showed. I was still correct for what I COULD see. You still need to make a appointment for a alignment. Have you driven it and does it seem OK now?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermog
Total parts wise was a rim, axle, knuckle, bearing and inner and outter tie rod. Also had the tire hit the rear fender and cracked it but im leaving that for now. Total bill buying parts myself and then punting to chevy was $2306 total
Man...you hit hard.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Ok, long story short the car snap oversteered into a tall curb and nailed the back driver side wheel dead on the face while rotating. This cocked the wheel about 20 degrees inward at the front. (see pics below)

I took the wheel off and nothing LOOKS weird to me but I dont really know what to look for in situations like this. The wheel hub is cocked inward. I can take the tie rod end out and move it back into place but the tie rod wont go back in then.

2 things I think it COULD be... axle is wonky or the bearing might have gotten bent?

I am open to things to look at, not sure what to do now.
I just looked at all the pictures again to see if there was any way any of us could have seen the extent of damage NFW We are all in the clear

Perhaps when it's all said and done you might do us justice and spill the beans exactly how this happened in the first place.
Distracted by large partially clad hooters??? I'll let you slide for that one
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Hhehehehe.... yeah I hit hard and no way I could see it, even with the knuckle off the car. The brakes and bearing covered up both sides and until they wiped the crud off the sides, it was hidden completely.

Now, how it happened. I've been having the traction control need service message off and on for a few months. Maybe once every 6 weeks or so, so I didnt bother with it. (Theres a TSB). So with worn NT05s on the car turning a left turn when it was slightly wet, the traction control decided to come back on. It must have thought I was in a slide so it pulsed a brake and then sent me into a fish tail and snapped back faster than I could react to save it. Spun around and slammed the back end into the curb.

Could I have saved it, I dont think so. Should it have happened in the first place? I dont know, off camber turn on a wet road and wonky electronics, I dont think I did anything wrong.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Hhehehehe.... yeah I hit hard and no way I could see it, even with the knuckle off the car. The brakes and bearing covered up both sides and until they wiped the crud off the sides, it was hidden completely.

Now, how it happened. I've been having the traction control need service message off and on for a few months. Maybe once every 6 weeks or so, so I didnt bother with it. (Theres a TSB). So with worn NT05s on the car turning a left turn when it was slightly wet, the traction control decided to come back on. It must have thought I was in a slide so it pulsed a brake and then sent me into a fish tail and snapped back faster than I could react to save it. Spun around and slammed the back end into the curb.

Could I have saved it, I dont think so. Should it have happened in the first place? I dont know, off camber turn on a wet road and wonky electronics, I dont think I did anything wrong.
From my comfy couch I certainly wouldn't try to guess what role traction control did or didn't play but I can tell you this- those tires are treacherous in the rain, especially when worn. Been there, done that...well, not the crash part. Sounds like it's time for new tires, or to just stay off wet roads. At least you're rolling again.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Yep, thats the idea... saving up for some super sports next. Cars back home and she's golden
Old 10-11-2015, 05:51 PM
stefuel
Drifting

You should'a used the "distracted by hooters" excuse. I would have let it slide. Now you tell me you punched it on a wet road with bald tires. I'm letting you off easy
Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
mistermog
Drifting

No, I did not punch it. I was driving normal... maybe going 15 mph or so taking a left from a light. It didnt break traction until just about done with the turn. Maybe oil or sand on the road, I dont know but I didnt goose it or anything. but no, no hooters.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:56 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Check the frame rail in front of the wheel carefully. I've seen wheel impacts bend the frame in that area.
Reviving a dead thread...

How screwed is someone if that area of the frame is bent on a aluminum C6 Z06?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
mistermog
Drifting

they do have frame straightening but no idea if you can use it on aluminum frames like ours? id say probably very, being conservative.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Reviving a dead thread...

How screwed is someone if that area of the frame is bent on a aluminum C6 Z06?
Post some pictures of the damage. Perhaps someone with a good eye can advise you.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Last edited by SivaSuryaKshatriya; 03-14-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, slammed into curb sideways.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 PM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a z with a similar issue but on the passenger side. The impact was at the wheel. As I got into it here is what I found. The lower control arm bent and the upper broke and the tie rod bent which is what caused the wheel to be off center and and pushed forward. the impact was hard enough that it broke the mounting tab off of the differential and cracked the spring. The frame is fine and the cradle is fine no cracks. the cv axle seems fine as well. It is pretty easy to take the cv out if you have airtools to get the axle nut off. You remove the 4 bolts on the upper control arm and the tierod end. remove the calipar and rotor, and assuming the suspension isnt bent to bad you can free the axle and get it out. check the two tabs where the diff mounts to the cradle that is a weak spot. Then put the upper a arm bolts back in see how how it lines up with out the axle. ill bet the axle is ok, it is a cv and can move alot. I ended up replacing the complete suspension assembly and I know you can find a dropout for less than $500 on ebay. bolt the new one up and get a new rim/tire and alignment. I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM
stefuel
Drifting

You are going to have to clean it up and take a full spread of pictures like the OP did, with the wheel off and in good light. Carefully inspect where the tub is glued to the frame. If you are unsure what you are looking at, hang it up and have it looked at by a pro. Looks like a insurance claim anyway.
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Last edited by SivaSuryaKshatriya; 03-14-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help, slammed into curb sideways.