Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Head/Cam Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 AM
John24
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Head/Cam Build

Haven't had the chance to really contribute on this forum, but I wanted to post my build and get some feedback from you guys. The car feels great, drives great, and the power is definitely there. I am however wondering if we left a bit of power on the table.

Tell me what you think.

06 Z06 with 5200 miles on it. The only mod I had on the car going into the build was a KNN Intake. All mods where done at the same shop, using a Mustang Dyno to tune. Stock numbers with the Intake were 449hp and 419tq. I added 2" Headers, X-Pipe, and a Fast Intake a couple months back and put it back on the Dyno, it made 476hp and 452tq. I was going to wait until next year for the Heads/Cam package but I decided I might as well just knock it out. I picked the car up a couple days ago after the build and it is now making 522hp and 501tq on the Mustang Dyno. Some say the Mustang Dyno reads roughly 10%-12% lower than others, but what do I know.

Full Mods:
Ported Fast Intake
KNN Intake
CNC Ported Heads
Custom Comp Cam
C5R Timing Chain
Comp Lifters
High Strength Pushrods
Rocker Trunion Kit
Pace Racing Springs with Titanium Locks/Retainers
Bronze Intake/Exhaust Valve Guides
Stock NPP Exhaust
2" Headers with X-Pipe

Cam Specs:
Valve Lift: .610/.617
Tappet Lift: 273/281
Duration @ 223/231
Lobe Lift @.3590/.3630
Lobe Separation @116.0
Installed 112.00 Intake Center Line

Can you guys tell me, am I leaving a lot on the table or do Mustang Dyno's just read quite a bit lower? Am I crazy or would you be thinking the same thing?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am no engine expert (but have built a few of them) but that cam sounds to small for a ported Fast intake, heads and 2" headers.

I had mine tuned and ran on a Mustang dyno, was not happy with the tune and had redone and ran on a Dyno Jet the difference was only 5 hp more on the Dyno Jet. 570 up to 575 but very happy with the new tune.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
John24
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gearpuller
I am no engine expert (but have built a few of them) but that cam sounds to small for a ported Fast intake, heads and 2" headers.

I had mine tuned and ran on a Mustang dyno, was not happy with the tune and had redone and ran on a Dyno Jet the difference was only 5 hp more on the Dyno Jet. 570 up to 575 but very happy with the new tune.
I wanted to not have to worry about the Pistons and didn't want to get too crazy with the Cam, but something just doesn't feel right.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

My thoughts:
I'd stay with 1 7/8" primary American Racing or Kooks headers unless you're going forced induction.
I'd use one of the proven cam grinds that fits your needs. Unless you are prepared to try 5 or more grinds and dyno the results on an engine dyno, I think you are wasting time and money. Also, if you go with any cam other than stock, make sure you are prepared to give up drivability. Many times the car is for sale about 6 months after installing a large cam.

The FAST intake is great at adding torque from 2k-5k, but the new MSD intake adds more HP on top end. The FAST requires new fuel rails and the MSD does not. Both great options, just pick based upon your goals.

Watch out which trunion kit you go with. One of the manufacturers out their uses even less needle bearings than stock. CHE offers a precision bushing that works well and eliminates most of the side play.

I'd go with either American Heritage or WCCH for the head work. Both have great track records.

Be careful which springs you go with. Many are failing prematurely. I prefer the beehive style from PSI. They have performed well in Spintron testing and last well. PSI has a new LS1515ML valve spring that is designed for the taller LS7 install height. Almost all other springs and retainers are actually designed for the LS1 with a 1.850" install height. There are no LS7 titanium retainers in production today, only LS1.

Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 PM
John24
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vito.A
My thoughts:
I'd stay with 1 7/8" primary American Racing or Kooks headers unless you're going forced induction.
I'd use one of the proven cam grinds that fits your needs. Unless you are prepared to try 5 or more grinds and dyno the results on an engine dyno, I think you are wasting time and money. Also, if you go with any cam other than stock, make sure you are prepared to give up drivability. Many times the car is for sale about 6 months after installing a large cam.

The FAST intake is great at adding torque from 2k-5k, but the new MSD intake adds more HP on top end. The FAST requires new fuel rails and the MSD does not. Both great options, just pick based upon your goals.

Watch out which trunion kit you go with. One of the manufacturers out their uses even less needle bearings than stock. CHE offers a precision bushing that works well and eliminates most of the side play.

I'd go with either American Heritage or WCCH for the head work. Both have great track records.

Be careful which springs you go with. Many are failing prematurely. I prefer the beehive style from PSI. They have performed well in Spintron testing and last well. PSI has a new LS1515ML valve spring that is designed for the taller LS7 install height. Almost all other springs and retainers are actually designed for the LS1 with a 1.850" install height. There are no LS7 titanium retainers in production today, only LS1.

Best of luck!
Thank you Vito, I think their is a misunderstanding. I already installed all those parts and I am just wondering if I am leaving power on the table with the Cam I went with. I don't mind sacrificing drivability as I drive the car 1-2 times per week, 4 months out of the year.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

With the ported intake, heads and 2" headers you may need to go to a cam like a BTR stage lll or equal to make good power levels (that's what I am running with LG 1 7/8 Super Pro headers and X-pipe, cat-less).

Has Vito said go with a known grind, there is no valve to piston issues with most cams unless you mill the heads more than .030 and go with thinner head gaskets, then I would do a clay test to be sure what kind of clearances you are dealing with.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

You're right. I'm sorry. I see 522 HP and 501 torque. Very good torque number, but maybe a little low on the HP. What was the torque at 2000-3000 rpm?

91 or 93 octane?

The most important question is what exhaust valves did you use?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

The cam is way too small to keep up with all the other thing that you've had done. Go to a BTR Stage III or IV LS7 cam and I think all your problems will be over. Pretty much what the other guys are telling you.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I went with a pretty small Lunati cam but came away with a REALLY strong torque curve. With a conservative tune mine is 560hp 515trq.

Your hp seems low but your trq is not to bad.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM
John24
Advanced

Originally Posted by kenw
I went with a pretty small Lunati cam but came away with a REALLY strong torque curve. With a conservative tune mine is 560hp 515trq.

Your hp seems low but your trq is not to bad.
I am happy with the tq number, just a little disappointed with the horsepower number as I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table, especially with headers, ported fast and heads.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 AM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I would definitely look at another cam even though those are decent numbers on a mustang dyno. With your 1.8 rockers you are .640 to .650 lift. There are better cams out there that are designed for LS7. I would trade some lift for duration and it will be easier on your valvetrain...
Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 AM
John24
Advanced

Originally Posted by XLR8-R
I would definitely look at another cam even though those are decent numbers on a mustang dyno. With your 1.8 rockers you are .640 to .650 lift. There are better cams out there that are designed for LS7. I would trade some lift for duration and it will be easier on your valvetrain...
I don't want to have to pay for a head/cam package all over again, at this point I just want to swap cams and retune. Is that something that can be done?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 AM
ian08
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MD dyno do read alot lower than other dynos when configured right and that cam is was small for a 427 what shop did the work and tuning thats like high performance cam for a 5.3 mild for a 6.0 and really u need to take it to the track and see the mph will tell u a better idea of power its making when i was full boltons light head work stock cam on my tuners MD dyno i made 490hp 485 trq in IN went to texas for tx2k put it on a MD dyno there made 526 hp 516 trq but it always trapped 127-128 so that told me i was making 550-560 crank hp
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

520'ish is about right for .223 / .050 intake duration. At least it looks honest. How's the curve look? I bet it's pretty flat.

So are not happy with how the car drives and feels? Or are you just not happy with that slip of paper?

Post the dyno sheet if you can. I'd be interested in seeing fuel ratio.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Take it to track and see what it runs, dyno numbers don't mean much.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

How is the drive ability with this cam, I assume it's very close to stock. Do you even notice a difference when driving?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 AM
John24
Advanced

Originally Posted by vertC6
How is the drive ability with this cam, I assume it's very close to stock. Do you even notice a difference when driving?
It drives just as if it was stock, so it drives very good and mannered. I am curious to find out if I can just swap out the cam for a black widow cam or btr stage 3 cam without redoing everything.

Get notified of new replies

To My Head/Cam Build

Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 AM
ian08
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes swap the cam re dyno i have a ffeind that has put down 570 ish on 3 different dyno jets with the btr stg3 cam
Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Why did you go with that cam in the first place? Seems a bit counter productive to me to run a cam like that with ported heads, 2" headers and ported intake. That combination is begging for a lot more camshaft. I would caution you though, if stock-like drivability, and good street manners are important to you, don't let yourself get talked into running too much cam, or you will be a lot less happy with the car, than you are now.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:23 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Agreed, I would always prefer less cam than too much cam. The BW is a big *** cam that in my opinion would take away from the overall driving experience.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Head/Cam Build