Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 PM
jfreez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1

Yesterday on the way home my 2007 Z06 dropped a valve into cyl #1.
I have had this car since new and it has 32,500 miles on it. a little discouraged that the engine didn't last as long as the belt.
I talked to the local service manager and he says there is nothing he can do.
Does anybody have the number for the regional service manager in the central CA area?

I would just like to try and talk to a few more people before I start to tear the engine apart.

Also does anybody have a recommendation on a machine shop in my area that can rework the heads and repair whatever damage I may have in the block?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You most likely need a complete new engine. The dropped valves usually cause the block to crack. Sorry, is that your Z in your avatar?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MasterDave
You most likely need a complete new engine. The dropped valves usually cause the block to crack. Sorry, is that your Z in your avatar?
The pic is from when Chevy ran the car on the ring. My car is silver and I have always babied it. I have only run autocross once.

If the block is cracked, does anybody know where I can get the best price on a longblock? the local dealer quoted me 12550.27 out the door
Old 07-31-2015, 03:11 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Default Rip

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

..and the 65535 dollar questions..

1. Were you unaware of the numerous LS7 valve guide threads over the last 3 years, and the solutions presented within them?

2. Did you check them but still had a failure? That would be a critical point.

Maybe you can hit up the "it's all Internet hype" crowd for a new for a new motor.

In all seriousness, sorry about your car; if you can (why wouldn't you?), please check out the guides with a wiggle test, report back on how bad they are, so we can finally shut down the nay-sayers that may have caused folks like yourself to ignore this all-to-real issue.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jfreez
The pic is from when Chevy ran the car on the ring. My car is silver and I have always babied it. I have only run autocross once.

If the block is cracked, does anybody know where I can get the best price on a longblock? the local dealer quoted me 12550.27 out the door
Sent you a PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:54 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

The car has always run so good that I never had any concerns. I have also not been visiting the forum regularly in quite a while.
I got through to GM corporate and they gave me a case number. now I have to tow it to a dealership so that they can look in with a Bore scope and try to come up with an estimate.
Then GM will decide if they want to help out.
My main concern is that if I do the work myself and maybe go with aftermarket heads that if they ever do a recall on this, I will get stiffed. (more like I know I will)
so I am just trying to get the documentation down for that long shot.

If I do the tear down, I will update you on the guides.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:56 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

impossible....GM says 2007 Z06 are not in the affected group.

oh yeah, GM is a fking liar.

paid out of pocket to fix mine....didn't want the $15K bill.....good luck
Old 07-31-2015, 03:57 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if they ever do a recall on this, I will get stiffed. (more like I know I will)
so I am just trying to get the documentation down for that long shot.
ain't gonna happen, they are hiding behind the "stuff happened during bankruptcy we ain't responsible"
Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
..and the 65535 dollar questions..

1. Were you unaware of the numerous LS7 valve guide threads over the last 3 years, and the solutions presented within them?

2. Did you check them but still had a failure? That would be a critical point.

Maybe you can hit up the "it's all Internet hype" crowd for a new for a new motor.

In all seriousness, sorry about your car; if you can (why wouldn't you?), please check out the guides with a wiggle test, report back on how bad they are, so we can finally shut down the nay-sayers that may have caused folks like yourself to ignore this all-to-real issue.
Was the 2007Z on the list of potential "machining" issues GM listed You seem so knowledgeable about this issue
Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Godspeed OP.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

If you didn't have any abnormal noise or oil consumption problems, pm bill Dearborn, he will donate a new ls7 to you.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:40 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
Was the 2007Z on the list of potential "machining" issues GM listed You seem so knowledgeable about this issue
No, the 2007 was not on the list of years that GM acknowledged there was a machining issue. But as of yet, no one has come up with the definitive cause or causes for the excessive valve guide wear. So just because GM said a few years had a machining issue does not mean that if your car is not in those years that you won't have bad guides or drop a valve. It's been documented that the valve guide issue affects all years.

I know some people believe that GM is lying when they say only certain years were affected by the machining error, but all that statement did was address a machining issue, not about excessive valve guide wear. They never said other years wouldn't have valve guide issues or drop a valve. Obviously other factors are involved other than just the machining issue.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I have no clue, and your question is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

..and yes, both you and Bill are in the "Internet Hype Club" - do something useful, start a collection for this guy.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 PM
VL17
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday on the way home my 2007 Z06 dropped a valve into cyl #1.
I have had this car since new and it has 32,500 miles on it. a little discouraged that the engine didn't last as long as the belt.
I talked to the local service manager and he says there is nothing he can do.
Does anybody have the number for the regional service manager in the central CA area?

I would just like to try and talk to a few more people before I start to tear the engine apart.

Also does anybody have a recommendation on a machine shop in my area that can rework the heads and repair whatever damage I may have in the block?

Thanks in advance
Very sorry to hear about your car. I just had my heads done by American Heritage Performance in Southern California, drove out from AZ. They are great to work with. Not one complaint here. They know Z06's. There were 3 other z06 there besides mine. My car is a 2007 and only had 10k miles at the time of work performed. If GM doesn't help you out I recommend them for all of your work.

I would be shocked if GM helps you out just from reading other cases on this site. I hope they do it's a shame that they continue to get away with this. I bought my car used and had to pay additional to make my 10k mile care reliable. Guys on this site saved my butt, thanks again. You bought your car new, probably paid $65k plus. Engine didn't make it 33,000 miles. This is so wrong on all accounts.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

so, the next question, if I get a new GM longblock and heads, will I have the same issue. Or am I better off getting aftermarket heads?

If aftermarket: which ones? not looking to add HP just reliability.

Also, the 2 dealerships in my town are $750 different from each other on long block and heads, so I will be doing some shopping around
Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

By the way, thank you all for your support. A little info from you guys makes me feel a little better, not as good as driving my car would, but a little better

Get notified of new replies

To Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1

Old 07-31-2015, 05:43 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

You'll have to replace the dry sump oiling components to keep the metal out of the new engine. As mentioned, no matter what GM tells you contact American Heritage Performance and see what they say before making a decision, most definitely worth the phone call.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I have no clue, and your question is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

..and yes, both you and Bill are in the "Internet Hype Club" - do something useful, start a collection for this guy.
Why are you angry ?
Old 07-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Why are you angry ?
Well, for starters, I see you chime in frequently in these threads, complaining about all the "Chicken Littles / Sky is Falling" folks like myself, all the while boasting about how your car, a 2013 with barely 10K miles IIRC, is still perfectly fine.. OF COURSE it is, they don't fail at 10K - but they do fail at 20K, 30K or 50K, especially if tracked.

I am angry because yet another fellow CF brother is out $15K, not to mention the drama of having his car out of service, and potential additional damage sloppy GM techs may inflict on his vehicle (hopefully he is near Able Chevrolet, or AHP), all for something that could have been prevented.

This is simple - WE didn't build these cars - WE didn't do a crap job machining the heads - but when they are out of warranty (or even if they are in warranty), WE, as a CF brotherhood and community, have a responsibility to do what we can to help inform others that don't understand this issue - not to post snide comments / responses about "Internet hype" to the people that are trying to keep history from repeating itself.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just lost a vlave in cylinder #1