Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another strange noise thread. Searched A LOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a 2008 and have nearly the same thing going on. Sometimes it seems like an exhaust rattle, sometimes it seems like a misfire and some people thing it may be in the torque tube. Happens under load or jabbing the throttle to around 3000 RPM's or so in any gear and does not last long. 2nd gear is probably the easiest to hear. I would love to figure out what it is. My car has no mods, 100% stock.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM
12leavu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I have a 2008 and have nearly the same thing going on. Sometimes it seems like an exhaust rattle, sometimes it seems like a misfire and some people thing it may be in the torque tube. Happens under load or jabbing the throttle to around 3000 RPM's or so in any gear and does not last long. 2nd gear is probably the easiest to hear. I would love to figure out what it is. My car has no mods, 100% stock.
Sounds like my exact problem. 2nd and 3rd gear on my car is the only time it seems to happen.

The go pro idea is good, as well as disconnecting vac lines at exhaust.
I will try both and report back.

I also plan to upgrade the clutch as well in the fall, so that can be ruled out as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Keep me posted. I have had this to three different dealers with three different theroies. The only thing I have not had done is to drop the exhaust and look for rub marks up top where you can't see them. Someone told me that they solved a similar problem that way.
Mine, by the way, almost sounds like it is more on the passenger side, though sometimes sounds as if it's coming from the torque tube. Either way, it sounds just like yours.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Ice95z
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a shot in the dark because I can barely hear the noise, but I had a similar issue in mine under acceleration. Noise comes and goes. When I held the shifter and put a little pressure on it the noise went away. Vibration was coming through the shifter assembly causing a rattle on accel. Put a little pressure on the shifter and noise went away.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 PM
12leavu
Racer

Originally Posted by Ice95z
This is a shot in the dark because I can barely hear the noise, but I had a similar issue in mine under acceleration. Noise comes and goes. When I held the shifter and put a little pressure on it the noise went away. Vibration was coming through the shifter assembly causing a rattle on accel. Put a little pressure on the shifter and noise went away.
Thanks, but I have also read about that issue, and this is definitely not the shifter. It is either the clutch, harmonics from the torque tube, or internal engine. We will see, I drove it to work on purpose almost everyday since I started this thread, it's usually just a weekend car, it is still inconsistent but seems worse before it warms up, and is still nonexistent at times. I have pretty much got to the point of waiting on something to happen.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving my 06 z06 with 16k miles. Bone stock except mild to wild. The car only does it until it is good and warn. Can't make it do it right now but I've been driving for about an hour so everything is warm.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 PM
12leavu
Racer

Originally Posted by logan1080
Driving my 06 z06 with 16k miles. Bone stock except mild to wild. The car only does it until it is good and warn. Can't make it do it right now but I've been driving for about an hour so everything is warm.
Same here.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Any word on what it ended up being? I have a chatter/rattle noise under hard acceleration and it sounds like it's on the passenger side

Last edited by SpeedFreak87; 10-02-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Mispelled

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another strange noise thread. Searched A LOT