Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What is involved in forging the bottom end??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:30 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is involved in forging the bottom end??

Now that my 08 C6 Z06 is out of warranty, I was toying with the notion of upgrading to the ZR1, the new C7 Z06, or modify my current Z with a SC or a TT set up (at the VERY least a cam/header package). I love the ZR1... I like the new Z06, I just cant stand the camaro *** it has, I really do like the C6 series better than the C7....aside from the interior. I LOVE the new interior and the seats.

So...I am going to look for a fairly new, low mile ZR1. BUT....if I can't find what I want or get a good deal, I'm going to aim for a supercharger or a twin turbo setup. I am not that mechanically inclined. I was told that if I do get a TT or SC set up, I was told that forging the "bottom end" is a must....or at least highly recommended if I want the car to last. I have a few newbie questions...

What goes into forging the bottom end of the LS7, and about how much does it cost?

If I take the SC or TT path....aside from headers, cam, new heads....what else needs to be replaced.

Say I'm looking to get close to 800-1000 rwhp, can that be done with a SC, or will I have to take the TT path? I understand that the TT path requires a lot more work and is significantly much more money. I plan on taking the car to Europe, and I just want the car to keep pulling hard after 130mph. Not so much interested in 1/4 mile times (8s would be nice though) but I'm more concerned with pulling harder and stronger at high speeds. I will redo the suspension and get sway bars along with a roll bar when the enginr is done. Since I will be doing all that as well (and perhaps some Carrivagio accents for the cabin...seats, dash, wheel, etc
) and perhaps scissor doors and 20" wheels with the ZR1 body kit, Im hoping I can do this with a SC and save some money without going with a TT.

What will I need? Thanks!!!

DH

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 07-11-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The steel crankshaft and Ti rods in the LS7 are already forged, but the pistons are cast. They are the only items that would need to be replaced with forged parts. While you're replacing the pistons, you could lower the compression ratio which would allow you to run more boost, thus more horsepower.

Depending on how much horsepower you are aiming for, you might consider installing Darton sleeves in the block, as they are much stronger than the cast liners GM used.
http://www.dartonsleeves.com/ $2100 + shipping for a LS7(8 sleeves including installation).
Old 07-11-2015, 05:58 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

That's it? Thanks for the info!

DH
Old 07-11-2015, 07:39 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
Now that my 08 C6 Z06 is out of warranty, I was toying with the notion of upgrading to the ZR1, the new C7 Z06, or modify my current Z with a SC or a TT set up (at the VERY least a cam/header package).
This was my way of justifying the move from my 08' Z06 to my 10' ZR1...

I traded for a brand new leftover 10' ZR in 2011.

The deal was: my 08' Z plus $40K, with 0% financing for 60 months included.

I think you could get into an 09' for $25K plus your car, but if you prefer a 10' or newer ZR which comes with PTM and launch control, it will be a few more $$$.

Here's a list to keep in mind...

1. newer model year Corvette, and it's a (ZR1)
2. 638 HP LS9 (fully forged, easily upgradable, and very reliable from the factory)
3. carbon ceramic brembos
4. from a 2LZ to 3ZR interior (leather dash, console lid, and armrests)
5. magnetic selective ride with PTM and LC
6. exposed/cleared carbon
7. 19/20 wheels with michelins
8. dual power seats with lumbar adjustments
9. power hatch assist
10. bluetooth
11. race car exhaust note
12. twin disc clutch
13. heavy duty torque tube and input shaft (specific to ZR1 for the added torque)

So...I am going to look for a fairly new, low mile ZR1.
09's can be had for in the low $60s and 10's+ in the high $60's+++ for low mileage examples.

Keep in mind, some of these still have warranties and/or extended warranties, so that could certainly be worth something to you as well.

Another thing to consider is that when you start modding $$$, you'll certainly lose most of the dollars you spend on it. The ZR1 really doesn't need any mods for go fast or to stop fast, it's already done.

It would be an easy decision for me even if I were to do it all over again...Get the ZR1.

I love the ZR1...
Me too...

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Forging the bottom end is slang for replacing OEM cast parts with forged parts. As Joe has already said, the Z06 crank and rods are good quality parts. However, the hypereutectic pistons are marginal for their current use. The block is also has very thin sleeves that are not designed for boost applications.

The C6 ZR1 is a great buy right now and I would not disagree with purchasing one.

If you decide to add either a turbo charger or blower to your Z06 you should consider replacing the block with an RHS block or have your block reworked by ERL. Additionally I would recommend a Callies Magnum crank and Olive billet steel rods with forged pistons designed for blown applications. Another issue is with the larger Z06 bore size, your head gasket surface between cylinders is reduced.

So, if you keep your boost goals realistic, you can get good power out of the LS7 but their are several compromises.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:40 AM
rhathawy
Advanced

As the post above says the stock LS7 is not the best engine to SC. The following build from Vengeance Racing uses the RHS aftermarket block. I'm having an engine package built that is very similar to the one shown in the link and parts alone are going to be around 30k.

http://forum.vengeanceracing.net/sho...and-Dyno-Graph!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

When was the last year of the ZR1? It would be nice to find a near new low mile one with some warranty left...thanks for the help.

Harry
Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Think this might be true??? A 2015 ZR1???

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/05/...dition-coming/

DH
Old 07-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

These 'which one' threads crack me up......

The LS7 doesn't need forged pistons, unless you intend to change its design and go nuts with power levels. And if you going that far, you better be looking at re sleeving the block or using an aftermarket block. The OE pistons are not junk. They are a fantastic piston for doing what they were designed for. Same goes for the crank, and Ti rods are in a league of their own. But again, all for what they were designed for - 500 hp / 7000 rpm.

The C6 Z06 is arguably, one of the most amazing naturally aspirated engine powered 200+ mph car ever built. That's why I have one. I could have a viper, or a hellcat, or ZR1, or a 430 scud, or...... But how many 7ltr, N/A engines, can anyone point out that makes over 500 hp and spins over 7000 rpm - from the factory with a 100,000 mile warranty?

These f'ing cylinder head problems have put this car into a very dim light that will probably taint it forever. Too bad. Any engine builder that is legit, respects and admires this engine, despite its warts. The car is also quite amazing, when you consider what it can do in a straight line, race track or road course.

If you have an itch to boost the LS7, then you are departing away from what it was designed for - natural aspiration. Leave it the hell alone. If you must increase power, don't be stupid about it, for no other reason than to show your buddies a dyno sheet. Go with a mild cam. Don't kill it's torque curve. That's what this engine was designed for..

If you have your heart set on a boosted engine, then get the ZR1. Or, start with a fresh LS7 aftermarket block, go all in and do it right.

The ZR1 is also an amazing car. Can't go wrong with that choice either. I'd rather have a ZR1 than that fat pig they are calling a Z06.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

You are right in so many ways. I could care less about impressing anyone with my car. I just want to get more out of it....I have been driving it stock for 7 years....I just want more. I learned a lot on that car. I took a lot of lessons, had many track days, and really got to push it to it's limits. I like everything about the new Z06 aside from the rear/tail. And to drop $110K on something I'm not crazy about in all aspects...will have me tossing and turning at night. With the ZR1, I know I can sleep well at night. I will start looking for a ZR1 that I like...and if I can't find one, I think I'll just go ahead and pick up a new Z06...and have the peace of mind of a warranty and won't have to do much in terms of mods and such. I LOVE the interior....maybe that will make up for the rear/tail's shortcomings.

Just for arguments sake....how many more ponies can I put in the new Z06 with just a pulley upgrade? I was lucky enough to drive a C6 Z06 TT that had just over 800 rwhp.....and I fell in love. I told myself this is what I want to turn my Z06 into when the warranty is over. How much money am I looking at to get those kind of numbers with the new C7 Z06? This decision is killing me....I'm so lost. I should just get a mortgage and wait for the Ferrari 488. lol

DH

Get notified of new replies

To What is involved in forging the bottom end??

Quick Reply: [Z06] What is involved in forging the bottom end??