Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another exploding LS7

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns07Z
Well guys, it's been a long while, two moves and a lot of time and money has gone by since I last posted, but I'm back and so is the Z! Long story but dealer only offered to help with a slightly discounted (from retail) motor price. My letters to the GM and Chevy brass did get me a phone call which after about 10 minutes ended with him telling me they can only help out in the few $100 items and that i needed to talk to the Customer Care rep (I think that was it) at my dealer. That ends up being the Service manager at my dealer who I already had a good discussion with (see above) But I hooked up with a great mechanic (Thanks Frank at Frankenspeed in White Plains, NY) who turned me on to Karl Chevy Performance Parts (Thanks Adam!) in Ankeny, Iowa who gave me a great price and customer service on a new LS7. With all new belts and hoses, oil cooler, as well as the Lingenfelter oil reservoir upgrade, I'm back on the streets and hopefully soon the track as well. Frank, who typically works on older muscle cars, did me a favor and put my baby back together and its good as new, probably better than new.

Looking at the old motor, number one cylinder's exhaust valve appears to have stuck and I have several pieces of it and the piston along with other chunks of aluminum block as souvenirs.

My brother has a nearly identical silver 07 Z and attended the GT Tire NCM event that we were going to share in August last year. Day two saw his motor grenade as well, After his own research and my suggestion, Karl Chevy supplied another new LS7 to our family last year.

Still hoping to hear something on the class action suit, but neither of us are holding our breath! I'll get some photos downloaded and add to the post, but wanted to answer back.
Sorry for the less than fair result but thanks for the followup report.

DH
Old 04-24-2016, 06:28 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns07Z
Well guys, it's been a long while, two moves and a lot of time and money has gone by since I last posted, but I'm back and so is the Z! Long story but dealer only offered to help with a slightly discounted (from retail) motor price. My letters to the GM and Chevy brass did get me a phone call which after about 10 minutes ended with him telling me they can only help out in the few $100 items and that i needed to talk to the Customer Care rep (I think that was it) at my dealer. That ends up being the Service manager at my dealer who I already had a good discussion with (see above) But I hooked up with a great mechanic (Thanks Frank at Frankenspeed in White Plains, NY) who turned me on to Karl Chevy Performance Parts (Thanks Adam!) in Ankeny, Iowa who gave me a great price and customer service on a new LS7. With all new belts and hoses, oil cooler, as well as the Lingenfelter oil reservoir upgrade, I'm back on the streets and hopefully soon the track as well. Frank, who typically works on older muscle cars, did me a favor and put my baby back together and its good as new, probably better than new.

Looking at the old motor, number one cylinder's exhaust valve appears to have stuck and I have several pieces of it and the piston along with other chunks of aluminum block as souvenirs.

My brother has a nearly identical silver 07 Z and attended the GT Tire NCM event that we were going to share in August last year. Day two saw his motor grenade as well, After his own research and my suggestion, Karl Chevy supplied another new LS7 to our family last year.

Still hoping to hear something on the class action suit, but neither of us are holding our breath! I'll get some photos downloaded and add to the post, but wanted to answer back.
Even though it's a new LS7 make sure you have your heads done on it or you will end up in the same boat. They never fixed the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Johns07Z (04-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 PM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy of mine just lost his motor on 2009 Z09 a few weeks ago. The car was tracked only a few times. I think it dropped a valve or snapped a wrist pin or connecting rod. There were pieces of the block on the floor. It happened during normal street driving.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 525sc777
I have 91k on my 2007 Z06 wouldn't you think these issues would have already showed its ugly face? I have no service records on the car how do I find the GM service records if I'm unsure?
IF your not tracking your car pushing it to red line smashing shifts every weekend NO !!! i wouldn't worry about anything
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATOMIC ORANG
IF your not tracking your car pushing it to red line smashing shifts every weekend NO !!! i wouldn't worry about anything
Not sure what's the point of owning a z06 and either not tracking it or redlining the motor. That's what the car was designed for. Why not just drive something else. Z06 owners should just do the heads and be done with it, otherwise these motors will keep blowing up.

I lost 2 motors already within 40k miles.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM
tascar7
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be willing to "get the heads done" in a heartbeat IF someone would guarantee in writing that their "fix" would indeed prevent valves from dropping for a respectable amount of mileage.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tascar7
I'd be willing to "get the heads done" in a heartbeat IF someone would guarantee in writing that their "fix" would indeed prevent valves from dropping for a respectable amount of mileage.
IF you need a guarantee you need another car, it's that simple.

IMHO at the moment your best bet would be something that is completely 'reengineered' like the TFS. Use your stock ti intake valves and you'll get a significant improvement in power and wont spend much more than 'fixing' stock heads.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:34 PM
tascar7
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
IF you need a guarantee you need another car, it's that simple.

IMHO at the moment your best bet would be something that is completely 'reengineered' like the TFS. Use your stock ti intake valves and you'll get a significant improvement in power and wont spend much more than 'fixing' stock heads.

Cheers, Paul.
I respectfully disagree.
The guarantee (or warranty) should be on the work and parts.
If I'm going to spend $3k+ to fix something, there should be some evidence it actually will and if not, it should be made right if there's a failure after the fix.
Tail light warranties should not apply when spending this much.
The fact no one will offer said warranty leads me to doubt boasts of finding the solution to the problem. Until the real cause is determined it's anybodies guess.

YMMV
Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

sadly all it would take is one mis shift, or one over rev, and you can have a destroyed head/motor. I can see a warranty against guide wear for XXXXX miles, but not a no questions asked your motor will never drop a valve. Tuning, driver, etc. There is way too many other factors to offer a warranty on something like this.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Katech gives a 12/12 warranty.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

I respectfully disagree.
The guarantee (or warranty) should be on the work and parts.
If I'm going to spend $3k+ to fix something, there should be some evidence it actually will and if not, it should be made right if there's a failure after the fix.
Tail light warranties should not apply when spending this much.
The fact no one will offer said warranty leads me to doubt boasts of finding the solution to the problem. Until the real cause is determined it's anybodies guess.

YMMV
Again, contact Katech.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:46 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
u got me scared now

i have 23k miles on my reworked heads ( bronze guides, ss valves and roller rockers with dual springs ) heads were done when the car had 32k miles and they were out of spec ( 06 Z06 )

thinking about checking them again
Darin Morgan just replaced my exhaust valve guides with the nickel bronze ones. I'm wondering...the valve guide issue… Is it related to intake or exhaust valves? My guess is it's exhaust valves

Nickel/ bronze exhaust valve guides

Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by starchedup
Darin Morgan just replaced my exhaust valve guides with the nickel bronze ones. I'm wondering...the valve guide issue… Is it related to intake or exhaust valves? My guess is it's exhaust valves
both
Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
both
Well daxm 💣👎🏾
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup
Well daxm 💣👎🏾
If he just replaced the exhaust guides... yeah, you're not done.

Plenty of worn intake guide stories here and in the ZR1 forums - it just gets lost in the shuffle as the exhaust valves seem to go first.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Random84
If he just replaced the exhaust guides... yeah, you're not done.

Plenty of worn intake guide stories here and in the ZR1 forums - it just gets lost in the shuffle as the exhaust valves seem to go first.
He looked at mine and said they're fine. He doesnt see much going on with the intake guides. Clearly I'll follow what guys say about checking them every 10K miles...

Get notified of new replies

To Another exploding LS7

Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 PM
Long Barrel Colt
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone please explain what the closed loop issue is? Thanks in advance. Rick
Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point, anyone posting in the C6 Z forum, in April of 2016, that is "confused" or "unsure" or "skeptical" about the root causes of excessive valve guide wear on LS7's (there are several) and the potential impact of ignoring said excessive guide wear, either lack initiative (they don't want to expend the time and effort to educate themselves) or are contrarians, people that enjoy shooting holes in clear and easy to understand cause and effect explinations for no other reason than to "cast doubt" while offering no logical theory or counter-point argument to explain the phenomenon.

That said, if you own an LS7, learn how to pull your valve covers and perform periodic wiggle tests, preferably after you've had the heads reworked by a reputable shop that understand the various short-comings of the stock heads, valves, guides, rockers and initial machining (or work hard enough to pay someone else to check them for you).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-27-2016 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XLR8-R (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point, anyone posting in the C6 Z forum, in April of 2016, that is "confused" or "unsure" or "skeptical" about the root causes of excessive valve guide wear on LS7's (there are several) and the potential impact of ignoring said excessive guide wear, either lack initiative (they don't want to expend the time and effort to educate themselves) or are contrarians, people that enjoy shooting holes in clear and easy to understand cause and effect explinations for no other reason than to "cast doubt" while offering no logical theory or counter-point argument to explain the phenomenon.

That said, if you own an LS7, learn how to pull your valve covers and perform periodic wiggle tests, preferably after.you've had the heads reworked by a reputable shop that understand the various short-comings of the stock heads, valves, guides, rockers and initial machining (or work hard enough to pay someone else to check them for you).
Well said...but I will say there is an influx of "new" C6Z owners lately. Those folks do need to educate themselves on the topic, but I believe some of us "lifers" are always here and willing to assist. Now those who have been on the forum for years; and as you say, refuse to believe or educate themselves...best of luck if you don't learn from the numerous lessons on this forum.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another exploding LS7