Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Md State Police give me ticket for Stock Muffler!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by RC000E
I worked for PD for several years OP, you are NOT screwed. First of all, you (above) can post the law all you want, but the officer needs evidence to write the citation to begin with. His ears, don't equal cause. In addition OP, it is not your responsibility under the law to admit guilt, it is the burden of the state to PROVE your guilt.

1. Headers don't function as "noice abatement". The spirit of that law was solely to resonators and mufflers...all of which you have in place.
2. The officer accused you of modifying the system, at which time you denied it wholeheartedly.

I would take a pic of the exhaust system under the car, then supply a photo of the stock system from GM, as stated elsewhere. I'd deny in entirety any modifications that were made to increase audible output and put forth that the officer is not familiar with Corvettes NPP system, and just because his friend owns one isn't probable cause to issue a citation.

Lastly, if he stopped you from the rear (initiated the stop due to the exhaust), then you have grounds to have the front plate ticket tossed, if he only discovered that as a result of the stop.

If you pay that you're a fool. It is not your responsibility to roll over in this country, and why people feel that's the appropriate action is ridiculous. In doing that, that would mean that an officer can just stop you, write you a speeding citation and say, "now just admit it...at some point in the past couple days you were speeding...am I right?"

It's not about the 70.00...it's about admitting guilt and allowing officers to write citations without legitimate cause. It's about principle.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but taking a day off work just to fight a bull $70 charge isn't worth it to me. I lose more than $70 taking a day off.

This is whats wrong with the country. he cant just assume you have a aftermarket exhaust because he thinks its loud. he has to test it with a decibel reader. and he was clearly too lazy to do that. it should be recorded when a cop writes a bull$%^ ticket like that and then it gets taken away in court. wasting taxpayer $ and time.

personally id still fight it. and do everything I could to make that stupid cop look like an idiot for writing it
Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
GP4L
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
So....driving home from a friends wake today and I get pulled over as I pass by a MD. state cop. He cites me for no front plate, $70.00 and for aftermarket exhaust, another $70.00.

I tell him that he has me on the no front plate thing, but the exhaust I tell him IS STOCK!! He tells me he is a "car guy" and that I am mistaken. (I have a cammed car with cats and long tubes, but, I also have a baffle that is vibrating in one can.) ( I started a thread on that a week ago).

He comes back and gives me both citations and I try to show him a post on my phone that is two sentences long from someone asking about "THE STOCK NPP EXHAUST". No dice, he won't look at it and then tells me he has friends that have vettes and mine is aftermarket and illegal. I try telling him that this car is a Z06 and the exhaust is from Chevrolet, dual mode.... he tells me again that it is not stock and walks away.

So... what am I going to do? Its not worth me taking off work to sit in court for the $70 for the exhaust, so... .he wins!

I support cops and the job they do, but this pisses me off.
"Car guy".... Obviously not a Corvette fan...
I agree that sitting in court is probably not worth the time. But you could fight it and most likely win.. Unless that officer inspected your whole car, where is his proof that you have aftermarket exhaust components? Obviously he's confused about the NPP option from factory for these cars.. But you have to decide if the 70 bucks is worth the message you'd sending by fighting it.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Les-10
Were you perhaps running a 'Mild 2 Wild' in the flaps-open mode or were they shut?
Wondering the same thing, in hindsight it'd have been prudent to close the damned things IF one knew they'd be hassled over it. If.

OP, Bill offers good advise. Call & speak with the person responsible for hearing the case, maybe a magistrate in your area, explain the situation. But DO contest it, try getting a Chevrolet dealership inspect & confirm your NPP's there & functioning because they STH won't take your word for it.

Contest it if for no other reason than teaching the cop NPP is legit, because obviously he believes he knows it all when it comes to Corvettes. Sounds like his mainspring's a tad tight.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Yeah, I'm just gonna pay it, but I agree, I need to put the ugly effing plate on Esp if I am going to OC hot rods next weekend.

BTW, I was driving down the highway at sixty or so, in fifth, not accelerating....I have LT and catted X and the exhaust was in the OPEN position. I had just moved over to give the cop room on the right, bc he was just finishing with another lucky sole, when I saw him in my rear view stomp on it and come flying up behind me. (Already had an appt.to fix broken weld in STOCK muffler this Friday)

I just can't imagine how my car can be loud at that moment when all these kids have these pick ups with resonating exhausts that you can hear for blocks. The cop was very young and adamant about my exhaust having a "tunnel silencer". I can't help but think it was a personal thing with the "car".... just a feeling that came over me with his attitude. Maybe I am wrong here, but I know that with the crap that happened in Baltimore, they are all a little excitable. I was glad I didn't have my concealed carry with me or I would have had to announce that and open myself up to more problems?

Lawdogg:
Maryland Transportation Section 22-609

Article - Transportation

§ 22-609.
(a) A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section

"The EXACT wording on the citation is: "Person using cut-out device allowing gas exhaust w/o muffler, silencer in tunnel".
(Art/sections/charge: TA-21-1412D)

That is BS! I told him that I support law enforcement 100%... but he was wrong on this. I argued to no avail..... but its not worth me missing work. Maybe I can submit something to the Barrack he's in or something, but I just don't have the time to waste on $70. Another money making effort for all the money and jobs O'Malley lost in this state....don't get me going!
$70 is still worth making a phone call to see if you can get the charge dropped before the court date.

I agree with others start running the front plate. Next time you get stopped for no plate you could get hit with something much worse. Don't give them an excuse to stop you. I was teaching my Grandson how to drive a manual transmission in my Z and he came upon a NY State Trooper who was making a U Turn. My Grandson who was going the speed limit slowed down and a few minutes later the trooper was at his door asking why he slowed down, asked for both our IDs and grilled us about a bunch of different things and then gave me a warning for no front plate. He used the lack of front plate as reason to pull us over and had us tied up for 20 minutes asking questions, none of which had anything to do with traffic violations.

Bill
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Pay the 70 dollars. 99% of cops are crooks... he obv doesn't have friends with vettes otherwise he would know. Not worth your time
Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
What is the section and sub section he used on the citation? Did he have any device to measure the sound? I just looked at the sections and it says cut out, by pass etc. which you don't have.
I listed the article and sub section subsequently but what gets me is he used no meters to gauge any levels.... he was simply walking back to his car fron finishing another ticket when i drove past.... basically idling along in fifth when im assuming he saw the plate missing on the front but had to wait till i passed to see if i was "from" Md. Delaware is a one plate state.

like i said if i had nothing to do..... id go to court but i own my own business and that would cost me lots more to do. Im just now sitting here reading the ticket in detail and it doesnt even give me a court location although i believe it would be Annapolis. The state will get more of my money.

What the MSP need to do is look for all these damn people texting and driving that i see everyday. A missing front plate on a sport's car? Thats one worth running after! You just know "that guy" is breaking the law!

Well.... im done with this. I posted to see if this was a norm with these cars..... guess its not and shouldnt be although some posters' will disagree and have an opinion otherwise.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
So it's back in 92 my last official vacation. I'm in my 89 coming into Compton CA ...
Your last vacation was in 1992, and you were in Compton? Not much of a vacation...
Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
1. He has an X with 3.5 kids he's paying support on, not to mention his latest squeeze has one in the oven. Another words, a Corvette will never happen in his lifetime?

2. He's like we were upon graduation from basic, all "Gung Ho" looking to right all the wrongs for/in America.

3. They can say what ever they want but I happen to know, there is a quota; Or a certain amount of stops. Believe it or not, it's true.

4. Since they are required to make a certain number of contacts, and since traffic is a billion dollar business. Who would you stop? The kid who's "Ricer" is all he owns, like all 2k of it; Most of that value is in that stupid stereo? The POS blowing the blues going down the road sideways. (bent frame, look sometime) The oblivious undocumented residents who's vehicle is packed to the "Gills." Dented, cracked windshield, not one straight panel with Ma Ma at the wheel looking scared?

5. Or the Shiny Clean Corvette, Dude must have some money. WILL pay the citation without attending court. WHY, well he will be working on the day court is in session. The ticket likely isn't much more than part of a days work.

So it's back in 92 my last official vacation. I'm in my 89 coming into Compton CA and fail to notice a reduction in the speed. I'm being passed on both sides as I notice a CHP on the ramp. How I love the Ba Waa of the chocked motor attempting to accelerate right up on my As*. So I ask the Young Officer what I had done to be pulled over? To which he replayed YOU WERE SPEEDING. Really, I'm being passed on both sides?

The here and now; Every vehicle I own has a Go Pro, I promise you I would have a disk burned and would present it to the court if that kind of BS ever happens again...

Did I mention my best friend is a cop...

That's funny. I actually thought of a similar scenario as to why he pulled me over.... i was wearing an effing
tie!!!! I never wear a tie!!!! and he thought I was that "suit guy" with plenty of money. Instead I'm a guy who just attended a wake for a friend I've know almost 30 years that passed in a moments notice and had previously changed to shorts under the dress shirt and tie. (Probably a good thing he didn't let me out of the car to show him the exhaust. )

Camera is probably a good thing these days. Cops in Bmore will be getting them before years end.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
$70 is still worth making a phone call to see if you can get the charge dropped before the court date.

I agree with others start running the front plate. Next time you get stopped for no plate you could get hit with something much worse. Don't give them an excuse to stop you. I was teaching my Grandson how to drive a manual transmission in my Z and he came upon a NY State Trooper who was making a U Turn. My Grandson who was going the speed limit slowed down and a few minutes later the trooper was at his door asking why he slowed down, asked for both our IDs and grilled us about a bunch of different things and then gave me a warning for no front plate. He used the lack of front plate as reason to pull us over and had us tied up for 20 minutes asking questions, none of which had anything to do with traffic violations.

Bill
Ok.... i tried. I spoke w duty officer at that barrack and explained it to him. He said in the ole days he couldve done something about it but not now. He apologized and told me the only recourse was to go to court.

He explained that their training does not teach them about exhaust systems just that a cruiser is quiet and a corvette makes "more" noise so its either "loud" or "not".

So I'm not going to let it cost me more fighting it. Ill be there all day if i do.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:51 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would have to agree on just paying the ticket and moving on it's hard to buck City Hall. Some cops are cool some cops are not cool sounds like a jealous cop . It's not like cops make a lot of money so you're going to have problems from time to time when they're sitting in their car wondering what they did wrong in life
Old 05-07-2015, 04:05 PM
dbayton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got ticketed about 2 weeks ago for not having the front tag on my C6. I have been operating under the assumption that the bill from 10/2013 (HB 577) that no longer required front tags for some MD vehicles had passed. I since learned that the bill never actually passed the state Senate, meaning it was never enacted...

However, I JUST registered my beater (2004 CTS) about 3 months ago at the MD DMV. When I paid my fees, I was only given 1 tag. Keep in mind that the CTS does in fact have spots in the front and rear for tags, so it wouldn't have qualified for the HB 577 law even if it was enacted.

So now I'm really confused...if the law never went into effect, why is the state of MD only issuing single tags?? Could this actually be a set up by our own state??
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by dbayton
I just got ticketed about 2 weeks ago for not having the front tag on my C6. I have been operating under the assumption that the bill from 10/2013 (HB 577) that no longer required front tags for some MD vehicles had passed. I since learned that the bill never actually passed the state Senate, meaning it was never enacted...

However, I JUST registered my beater (2004 CTS) about 3 months ago at the MD DMV. When I paid my fees, I was only given 1 tag. Keep in mind that the CTS does in fact have spots in the front and rear for tags, so it wouldn't have qualified for the HB 577 law even if it was enacted.

So now I'm really confused...if the law never went into effect, why is the state of MD only issuing single tags?? Could this actually be a set up by our own state??
Really? Only one MD tag issued? Did you ask if that was right?

I too remember the bill last year but did not know it was for "certain" vehicles..... interesting....
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

A lot of interesting thoughts and attitudes in here...

RC000E has the best, most logical post in here. The best advice is to call the DA before the court date and explain your side. He/she will likely reflect what rc000e posted and you'll end up with a front plate violation (maybe). I've delt with a lot of similar tickets in the past: getting pulled over for a legit violation and the cop stacks on whatever else he's in the mood to write. The true violation sticks or is reduced...the emotional ones are dropped.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yeah, I'm just gonna pay it, but I agree, I need to put the ugly effing plate on Esp if I am going to OC hot rods next weekend.

BTW, I was driving down the highway at sixty or so, in fifth, not accelerating....I have LT and catted X and the exhaust was in the OPEN position. I had just moved over to give the cop room on the right, bc he was just finishing with another lucky sole, when I saw him in my rear view stomp on it and come flying up behind me. (Already had an appt.to fix broken weld in STOCK muffler this Friday)

I just can't imagine how my car can be loud at that moment when all these kids have these pick ups with resonating exhausts that you can hear for blocks. The cop was very young and adamant about my exhaust having a "tunnel silencer". I can't help but think it was a personal thing with the "car".... just a feeling that came over me with his attitude. Maybe I am wrong here, but I know that with the crap that happened in Baltimore, they are all a little excitable. I was glad I didn't have my concealed carry with me or I would have had to announce that and open myself up to more problems?

Lawdogg:

Article - Transportation

§ 22-609.
(a) A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section

"The EXACT wording on the citation is: "Person using cut-out device allowing gas exhaust w/o muffler, silencer in tunnel".

That is BS! I told him that I support law enforcement 100%... but he was wrong on this. I argued to no avail..... but its not worth me missing work. Maybe I can submit something to the Barrack he's in or something, but I just don't have the time to waste on $70. Another money making effort for all the money and jobs O'Malley lost in this state....don't get me going!
I'd suggest two things.

1. That all you MD state guys help partially fund the loss of the OP's wages, so he can go to court and set the record straight and set a precedent for future similar citations.

2. Assuming the law section the LEO specified on the citation pertains to a cut-out, then provide documentation to show the mufflers came from GM unmodified. GM sales brochures explaining the system would be the barest minimum. Add a video that starts with the license plate and continues past the tips to under the car and includes a clear shot of the GM part number. Copy a page from a dealer's parts book that shows the part number and description. Send this documentation to the court ASAP to see if they opt to drop the charges.

But for crying out loud, you need to quit referring to the mufflers as NPP. That's an option code for LS3 Vettes, NOT Z06. You could lose the whole appeal due to a technicality.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Iron Texan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=ratomicZ06;1589579690]
BTW, I was driving down the highway at sixty or so, in fifth, not accelerating....I have LT and catted X and the exhaust was in the OPEN position.

Lawdogg:

Article - Transportation

§ 22-609.

QUOTE]

So he wrote you a ticket for exactly what you were doing. You made modification to the factory function of the dual mode exhaust by having it run with the valves open, as opposed to opening at 3500 rpm.

As to the original stop, you could have been stopped just for the obvious lack of front LP, then upon you stopping the thunder from a cammed Z with headers and open dual modes would be pretty obvious for anyone, car guy or not.

To be fair, it is a pretty crappy law, but it sounds like you were cited correctly. Also, Kuddos to you for being honest about the details of the incident, unlike many other threads were people leave out the unflattering parts.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

[QUOTE=Iron Texan;1589586516]
BTW, I was driving down the highway at sixty or so, in fifth, not accelerating....I have LT and catted X and the exhaust was in the OPEN position.

Lawdogg:

Article - Transportation

§ 22-609.

QUOTE]

So he wrote you a ticket for exactly what you were doing. You made modification to the factory function of the dual mode exhaust by having it run with the valves open, as opposed to opening at 3500 rpm.

As to the original stop, you could have been stopped just for the obvious lack of front LP, then upon you stopping the thunder from a cammed Z with headers and open dual modes would be pretty obvious for anyone, car guy or not.

To be fair, it is a pretty crappy law, but it sounds like you were cited correctly. Also, Kuddos to you for being honest about the details of the incident, unlike many other threads were people leave out the unflattering parts.
Sorry... I thought is was called NPP? Guess not... I'm new to newer vettes. (C3's... I know.)

Well... I was honest with the officer too, but he was determined to write me up for anything he could find. He asked me where I was coming from... I told him a friend of 30 years passed unexpectedly and left behind a wife and two daughters... then he started with the exhaust thing. Ironic thing: It was my FRIGGIN BIRTHDAY!!! of which I will not forget because my friend was laid to rest on that day. The officer had no emotions.

I didn't mention some of this, because I did not want to turn this into "cop bashing" thread. It is NOT! I have friends that are/were cops. I respect what LEO's do, but there are times when they need to stop being a cop and show some human compassion depending on the situation at hand. (Thank you inhabitants of Baltimore!!!!)

I will make one more phone call to the DA and see if I can get the exhaust citation dropped for the pure fact that "I" feel it was wrong. As others have said... they disagree. So be it.

Get notified of new replies

To Md State Police give me ticket for Stock Muffler!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So there are no Harley Davidson m/cycles in MD? Cause you can't own a HD w/out installing insanely loud exhausts ... that's part of the creed, ya know.

I've got a HD with stock exhaust but it's loud compared to my stock Z06.

Last edited by Norm_427; 05-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Depends on the laws in your state. In Texas traffic citations are considered criminal offences, mostly Class C misdemeanors. You can go to court and ask for (demand) a jury trail. They have no choice but to grant the jury trial or dismiss. The outcome is the same, max $200 fine. If you do get your jury trial and you are found guilty you are constitutionally guaranteed a right of appeal. In Texas municipal and JP courts are not courts of record which means the case must be heard again at the county level. Mostly they won't fool with it so you walk if you are willing to put in the effort.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:24 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Pay the 70 dollars. 99% of cops are crooks... he obv doesn't have friends with vettes otherwise he would know. Not worth your time
I can't believe we went three pages before a statement like this! Awesome!!!! Oh, its Police Memorial Day for those Officers who died serving the public and for people they didnt know... Only 168 of my brothers and sisters died this year.. OK, let's get back on topic... Sorry

Last edited by psp6158; 05-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Md State Police give me ticket for Stock Muffler!