Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Tires: Michelin Super Sport vs. Sport Cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 PM
camille
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires: Michelin Super Sport vs. Sport Cup

I'm considering replacing my stock tires with the Sport Cups soon. My 2012 Zr1 is not destined for the track, so I am wondering about dry weather street performance.

Any problems with excessive road rash from the stickier Cup tires compared to the Super Sports?

Any experience with gen 1 vs gen 2 Sport Cups?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Originally Posted by camille
I'm considering replacing my stock tires with the Sport Cups soon. My 2012 Zr1 is not destined for the track, so I am wondering about dry weather street performance.

Any problems with excessive road rash from the stickier Cup tires compared to the Super Sports?

Any experience with gen 1 vs gen 2 Sport Cups?
You do not want to use the Sport Cups on the street.

Go with the new "Super Sport" tire that comes on the C7 Z06 (same size as ZR1).

I did some tire testing with Michelin and if I recall the Super Sport has like 15% more lateral grip and a tread wear of 300 vs 200 on the PS2.

The Super Sport is the next generation tire past the PS2.

The Sport Cup is a track tire and will wear out in about 3,000 miles on the street.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:19 PM
camille
Racer

Originally Posted by WB6HRO

I did some tire testing with Michelin and if I recall the Super Sport has like 15% more lateral grip and a tread wear of 300 vs 200 on the PS2.

The Sport Cup is a track tire and will wear out in about 3,000 miles on the street.
Exactly the advice I was looking for. I had no idea the Cups wear out so quickly, but then again, there is basically no visible tread.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I should get the new "Super Sport" tires this week and will report back as to how they compare with the Sport Cup tire. I've gone through 3 sets of the cup tire and while they are great on the track, they don't last more than 5,000 miles per set.

Two friends have the new "Sport Cup 2" tires on their ZO6's and both say it is purely a summer tire. Both recommended I go with the new "Super Sport" tires as I can and do drive my ZR1 year round.

Did I really say that? Not that it will make you feel any better but it is raining here today.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
I should get the new "Super Sport" tires this week and will report back as to how they compare with the Sport Cup tire. I've gone through 3 sets of the cup tire and while they are great on the track, they don't last more than 5,000 miles per set.

Two friends have the new "Sport Cup 2" tires on their ZO6's and both say it is purely a summer tire. Both recommended I go with the new "Super Sport" tires as I can and do drive my ZR1 year round.

Did I really say that? Not that it will make you feel any better but it is raining here today.
I have the new SS on my Z06 and having also had a ZR1 I can tell you this new tire is much improved! Road noise is about the same but the grip and ride is much better.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by WB6HRO

BINGO. Just replaced the front PS2s a week ago with the new PSS ZPs on the ZR1. Two round trips to the office so far and a little too soon to make seat of the pants comparisons but the new PSSs on the front feel more confortable and the front end doesn't feel as nervous as I remember the PS2s when they were relatively new also. The rear PS2s look like they will last somewhere between 35k and 40k. Fronts replaced at 25.4k.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 1,745 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by GOLD72
BINGO. Just replaced the front PS2s a week ago with the new PSS ZPs on the ZR1. Two round trips to the office so far and a little too soon to make seat of the pants comparisons but the new PSSs on the front feel more confortable and the front end doesn't feel as nervous as I remember the PS2s when they were relatively new also. The rear PS2s look like they will last somewhere between 35k and 40k. Fronts replaced at 25.4k.
Errrrrr mine are roasted at 14K miles.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Errrrrr mine are roasted at 14K miles.
that's because you "drive" your car like it should be driven
5DE and 16k miles, I'm on the bars of the original PS2's….no more play for me good thing the new SS are cheaper than the old PS2's!!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
that's because you "drive" your car like it should be driven
5DE and 16k miles, I'm on the bars of the original PS2's….no more play for me good thing the new SS are cheaper than the old PS2's!!
Weak sauce, I trashed my original PS2's within 3k miles on my '10 ZR.

The new Super Sport is probably the best overall street/occasional track day tire on the market. I have them on my '12 CTS-V and they are an awesome tire.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
that's because you "drive" your car like it should be driven ...........
Mine is just a DD with no track time and lots of high speed freeway miles. The GY SC tires on my 06Z06 would be toast at 15k miles with the same DD miles. Just an apples to apples comparison to the superiority of the Michelin tires over GY.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires: Michelin Super Sport vs. Sport Cup

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Tires: Michelin Super Sport vs. Sport Cup