Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Got the Windows Tinted

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Got the Windows Tinted

What's that they say, when the cats away. Since the wife's gone for a few days I decided to have the windows tinted on the Z06. That way I don't get yelled at for spending money on the Z for a few days Husband and Wife team did a great job. If anyone is in the Phoenix area and wants their name and number just let me know. At $125 am very happy and very picky. He said 5% ceramic film whatever that means. He said they used to call it Limo. He did a one piece rear window also.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by z76232
What's that they say, when the cats away. Since the wife's gone for a few days I decided to have the windows tinted on the Z06. That way I don't get yelled at for spending money on the Z for a few days Husband and Wife team did a great job. If anyone is in the Phoenix area and wants their name and number just let me know. At $125 am very happy and very picky. He said 5% ceramic film whatever that means. He said they used to call it Limo. He did a one piece rear window also.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Did they say anything about the dots on the rear upper window? I've been researching and its apparently troublesome. I understand some are using vinyl for the dots. Looks good, a little far away for me though... Pa.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:01 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,015 Likes on 534 Posts

Looks Great. Nothing makes a car look better than a properly done tint job. Not to mention it cuts down on the heat and glare significantly. Nice job and according to your post great timing.
Did i read your price correctly $125??? that's an amazing price, an out of this world price for a tint job. Most around hear are around $300-$400.

Last edited by American Heritage; 09-11-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:16 PM
z76232
Drifting

Originally Posted by psp6158
Did they say anything about the dots on the rear upper window? I've been researching and its apparently troublesome. I understand some are using vinyl for the dots. Looks good, a little far away for me though... Pa.
Did it over the dots. Still looks great and didn't give him any trouble.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:18 PM
z76232
Drifting

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Looks Great. Nothing makes a car look better than a properly done tint job. Not to mention it cuts down on the heat and glare significantly. Nice job and according to your post great timing.
Did i read your price correctly $125??? that's an amazing price, an out of this world price for a tint job. Most around hear are around $300-$400.
Worked on it for about 5 hours and the charge was only $125. I couldn't pass it up. Had great references and the price was right. Really happy with it.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 AM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn! I spent $350.00 on the good stuff at a professional shop and it looks like the dogs dinner because of the stupid dots. I was considering doing exterior tinting on the outside of the glass in the back. Yes it has to be special exterior tint that can handle more wear and tear, but I think it would look far better than the job I have done. Not to mention the jackwagons scratched my paint too, that's I hasn't gotten fixed.

The varieties of tint range from just coloring and a visual barrier with not a lot of heat reduction, to heat barrier with minor visual barrier and finally to a lot visual and heat barrier. The addition of ceramic components and such account of the heat barriers how much is there has a direct correlation to the amount of heat blocked. Better tints have good light and heat blocking characteristics.

Limo tinting I think refers to how dark it is, you can't see through a Limos tint. In TX the rear can be pretty dark, but the side glass has to be lighter. We can now tint the front glass too, but I have a damn rock chip in mine.

Glad you got competent people to do it at a reasonable price! Now send them to Texas!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedNought6
Damn! I spent $350.00 on the good stuff at a professional shop and it looks like the dogs dinner because of the stupid dots. I was considering doing exterior tinting on the outside of the glass in the back. Yes it has to be special exterior tint that can handle more wear and tear, but I think it would look far better than the job I have done. Not to mention the jackwagons scratched my paint too, that's I hasn't gotten fixed.

The varieties of tint range from just coloring and a visual barrier with not a lot of heat reduction, to heat barrier with minor visual barrier and finally to a lot visual and heat barrier. The addition of ceramic components and such account of the heat barriers how much is there has a direct correlation to the amount of heat blocked. Better tints have good light and heat blocking characteristics.

Limo tinting I think refers to how dark it is, you can't see through a Limos tint. In TX the rear can be pretty dark, but the side glass has to be lighter. We can now tint the front glass too, but I have a damn rock chip in mine.

Glad you got competent people to do it at a reasonable price! Now send them to Texas!
Have them put black vinyl over the dots on the inside not tint film. That will solve the problem. That's what I had on my z06 looked flawless, on my zr1 the guy before me had them use tint film on the bubbles and it looks horrible
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 AM
chip4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z76232
Did it over the dots. Still looks great and didn't give him any trouble.
Could you post a pic of your tint over the "dot matrix"? no bubbles? also, I am in the Phoenix area could you pls. PM me his contact information? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:41 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by psp6158
The dots are a problem with the tint OP used. I know this b/c I did same and you can see different (color) levels around the dots. ....my weak mind....it's too early for me to describe the look ....but it's not bad.

The vinyl has a much better look but is not as easy to install from my understanding anyway.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 PM
chrisusmc
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My tint on the top of the rear window looks like you know what around the dots. It annoys me everytime I see it. The tip for vinyl is great, I will inquire.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. awesome price too. I got mine for 140 @ 20%, solid piece too for the rear. Amazing how a little piece of film can change the demeanor.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS9Drew
Have them put black vinyl over the dots on the inside not tint film. That will solve the problem. That's what I had on my z06 looked flawless, on my zr1 the guy before me had them use tint film on the bubbles and it looks horrible
Thanks, I heard the same about the vinyl and found a guy who has done many c6s with the dots and uses the vinyl...
Old 09-13-2014, 04:59 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Yes, I typically get my tint done for coupes @ $150...

Regarding the dots in the back, a good tint person will use black vinyl over the dots, and trim the tint to line up right next to the edge. That's the only way around the tint over dots issue. The tint will ALWAYS lift from the dots.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB

Regarding the dots in the back, a good tint person will use black vinyl over the dots, and trim the tint to line up right next to the edge. That's the only way around the tint over dots issue. The tint will ALWAYS lift from the dots.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB

That's what my tint guy did
Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM
z76232
Drifting

Well until I made this post (thanks guys) I didn't even notice anything around the dots but after waiting a few days you can see a little dis-color right on top. Really not enough for me to worry about but you guys are right, the tint is not perfect where the dots are. I called the guys on it and they said that was the best they could do. So no recommendation from me. I guess my good deal wasn't as good as I hoped. Sorry if I got any ones hopes up. Their number is 480 387-8177, Chris and Angel.

Get notified of new replies

To Got the Windows Tinted

Quick Reply: [Z06] Got the Windows Tinted