Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Austin Performance Shop??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Austin Performance Shop??

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good shop to take my 2007 Z06 for performance upgrades. From my research (minimal at best) it seems that Houston and Dallas have a better (larger) selection of quality shops. I have no problem taking her to either of those cities for upgrades but I'd rather something more local in case there is a problem or for repeat business/upgrades. I'm just not familiar with anyone locally.

I'm looking for bolt-on's this point, no Turbos/Supercharges/NOS but just about everything else I'm open for. The car is currently stock.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Cory
Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told Nelson performance did good work in San Antonio. Had the run around in Houston. had some work done here in ATX, but I'm not sure if the quality of the shop is up to par anymore. Austin is good cor hippies, food and music ...kinda sucks for performance car stuff.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZedNought6
I was told Nelson performance did good work in San Antonio. Had the run around in Houston. had some work done here in ATX, but I'm not sure if the quality of the shop is up to par anymore. Austin is good cor hippies, food and music ...kinda sucks for performance car stuff.
What was the shop here in Austin? I've seen a couple reviews of Aikman Performance which were positive. I'm really trying to stay local. Otherwise might as well go to Houston or Dallas; LG in Dallas looks to be a pretty good shop.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbrymer54
What was the shop here in Austin? I've seen a couple reviews of Aikman Performance which were positive. I'm really trying to stay local. Otherwise might as well go to Houston or Dallas; LG in Dallas looks to be a pretty good shop.
I've used Reckart Performance in the past. He sold to Aikman and I think might still do tuning only for Aikman. I've been to shops in Houston, Dallas and like you I looked for a local shop for convenience. I'm a little familiar with Aikman from his days at someone else's shop in Cedar Park. Long and short of it ... next time I need a performance shop I'm heading back to Dallas.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Texas Speed and Performance is up and running in Austin now. They just moved to Austin from Lubbock, which was right down the street from me . My friend just went there last week to get a parts list together for a n/a build on his cyber gray C6Z.

-jp
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I've used Reckart Performance in the past. He sold to Aikman and I think might still do tuning only for Aikman. I've been to shops in Houston, Dallas and like you I looked for a local shop for convenience. I'm a little familiar with Aikman from his days at someone else's shop in Cedar Park. Long and short of it ... next time I need a performance shop I'm heading back to Dallas.
I know Brian (just moved from Austin last June). He's a good guy. Good for simple bolt-ons. Priced well too.

Originally Posted by jp_tt_awd
Texas Speed and Performance is up and running in Austin now. They just moved to Austin from Lubbock, which was right down the street from me . My friend just went there last week to get a parts list together for a n/a build on his cyber gray C6Z.

-jp
TPS did my heads and after 2 engine rebuilds, my heads were the only thing that was QUALITY on my build. They relocated to Georgetown the other week.

All that said, I've had Danny at Lethal Performance (in San Antonio) do most of my work. His shop isn't far from exit 175 on I-35s It's only about 1:15 mins drive. Good guy and good work
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Lethal Performance is another great option. Ive seen a few cars they've done over here in west tx, pretty bad *** builds.

-jp
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Swiftwater Z06
Racer

Default Henderson Performance, New Braunfels TX

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good shop to take my 2007 Z06 for performance upgrades. From my research (minimal at best) it seems that Houston and Dallas have a better (larger) selection of quality shops. I have no problem taking her to either of those cities for upgrades but I'd rather something more local in case there is a problem or for repeat business/upgrades. I'm just not familiar with anyone locally.

I'm looking for bolt-on's this point, no Turbos/Supercharges/NOS but just about everything else I'm open for. The car is currently stock.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Cory

Corey Henderson is a great guy to work with. Installed Katech cam, heads, LS9X twin disc clutch and terrific custom tune. New Braunfels is just one hour down I-35 ........much closer than Dallas or Houston!
Call or email me with any questions. I'm in the Lakeway area.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

-jp
Cool, that's good to know. Is there a full service shop or is it tuning and engine builds only?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Lethal Performance is another great option. Ive seen a few cars they've done over here in west tx, pretty bad *** builds.

-jp
Go to Lethal in San Antonio!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Originally Posted by Swiftwater Z06
Corey Henderson is a great guy to work with. Installed Katech cam, heads, LS9X twin disc clutch and terrific custom tune. New Braunfels is just one hour down I-35 ........much closer than Dallas or Houston!
Call or email me with any questions. I'm in the Lakeway area.
Also good to know. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

I contacted Texas Speed and Performance, they are in Georgetown now but they are strictly parts sales only, no installs.

I've heard good things about Corey Henderson as well. NB is just "up the road" but if you're from Austin, that lovely trek from the Round Rock area can take 2 hours depending on our awesome IH-35 road infrastructure..... :\ If I'm going to take it more than an hour away, I think I might just go up to LG in Dallas.

What is everyone's take on using an out of town shop? I know that's a loaded question I'm just curious to everyone's opinion for ongoing maintenance, issues, more mods, etc. I don't have much time to go out of town much so that's the main reason for trying to stay in town. But then again, don't want to sacrifice quality. So basically what came first, the chicken or the egg.....?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM
ZedNought6
Racer

I contacted Texas Speed and Performance, they are in Georgetown now but they are strictly parts sales only, no installs.

I've heard good things about Corey Henderson as well. NB is just "up the road" but if you're from Austin, that lovely trek from the Round Rock area can take 2 hours depending on our awesome IH-35 road infrastructure..... :\ If I'm going to take it more than an hour away, I think I might just go up to LG in Dallas.

What is everyone's take on using an out of town shop? I know that's a loaded question I'm just curious to everyone's opinion for ongoing maintenance, issues, more mods, etc. I don't have much time to go out of town much so that's the main reason for trying to stay in town. But then again, don't want to sacrifice quality. So basically what came first, the chicken or the egg.....?
Well, i would drive a little farther to do things once, right. Rather than have somebody do work because they are close. It really sucks to have to get a job done 2x. On the second go round you will likely travel out of your way anyway. Your shop is like a relationship, once you find one you like stick with them...I hate giving money to people I don't like. Not every place you go is a good place. Sadly, not every shop will value you as a customer. In the Austin Area it just seems like it is worth the drive to either Dallas or San Antonio for major mods. General maintenance needs can be fulfilled locally.

I was encouraged to hear about TSP, but parts only? Do they have any intent to open for instals?

Does Anybody have any knowledge of Corvette World? I got a flier from them the other day advertising a range of services.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

That looked like a sales only location in GT. That's too bad.

Out of town is fine if you have no problems and don't have to go back. I've used LG in Dallas and LMR in Houston. I think both shops have mostly good reps and do good work but big shops screw up just like any other. From LG I had a cam install and tune on a 03 Z06. Their cam and their tuner but they couldn't solve an idle surge problem. LMR I had build a 416 LS3 - broke a rocker and spring on two different occasions in less than 5k miles. All that said I would still venture out of Austin for any future performance work. Quality is important but so is honesty and good customer service.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Originally Posted by ZedNought6
Does Anybody have any knowledge of Corvette World? I got a flier from them the other day advertising a range of services.
I would steer clear. Used them once and won't be back.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

DB Rods in Taylor. Jon Henson is top notch.

Aikman in Cedar Park. Jerry is a good guy and good mechanic.

Calvo Motorsports on North Lamar in North Austin. Antonio is a great guy and will take care of you.

Mike at Sunshine performance in Killeen. Don't know him well like I do the first three, but have several friends that swear by him.

starchedup: Brian is not an option for any installs. He has no shop. It was sold to Jerry and Stacy Aikman. He is working full time in the HVAC business and so in addition to no shop, he really has no time. Brian may do a little tuning here and there but I am not volunteering him because I know he is busy.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I would steer clear. Used them once and won't be back.
Understood! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Austin Performance Shop??

Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
DB Rods in Taylor. Jon Henson is top notch.

Aikman in Cedar Park. Jerry is a good guy and good mechanic.

Calvo Motorsports on North Lamar in North Austin. Antonio is a great guy and will take care of you.

Mike at Sunshine performance in Killeen. Don't know him well like I do the first three, but have several friends that swear by him.

starchedup: Brian is not an option for any installs. He has no shop. It was sold to Jerry and Stacy Aikman. He is working full time in the HVAC business and so in addition to no shop, he really has no time. Brian may do a little tuning here and there but I am not volunteering him because I know he is busy.
WOW how things have changed. Thanks for the heads up on Brian. Hope he's happier...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm starting to lean towards going out of town. I want to take it to a reputable shop and do everything at once. Then if I have small needs or issues down the road, hopefully I can get it taken care of here in town.

Which leads me to my next question and maybe I should post this in a different thread or do some research, but figured I'd ask real quick while it's on my mind.

I want to add some power to it, not really for track setup but for just extra highway power and of course a little of the “noise/rumble” factor. Want to do it the right way but not spend a fortune; thinking full intake/exhaust, cam & tune? I like the sound of the "man-switch" to go from humble to rumble at a flick of a switch. Thinking of a budget of around $10k with install. Any recommendations?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm starting to lean towards going out of town. I want to take it to a reputable shop and do everything at once. Then if I have small needs or issues down the road, hopefully I can get it taken care of here in town.

Which leads me to my next question and maybe I should post this in a different thread or do some research, but figured I'd ask real quick while it's on my mind.

I want to add some power to it, not really for track setup but for just extra highway power and of course a little of the “noise/rumble” factor. Want to do it the right way but not spend a fortune; thinking full intake/exhaust, cam & tune? I like the sound of the "man-switch" to go from humble to rumble at a flick of a switch. Thinking of a budget of around $10k with install. Any recommendations?
Sounds perfect. I'd get the heads done if for no other reason than to make sure you don't have that well known valve guide issue due to stock GM heads. I wish I had stopped at the heads and cam level. Shxx starts to break when you get into the bottom end.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Austin Performance Shop??