Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Who wants to do meth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Who wants to do meth?

I was thinking lately about my second rounds of mods. I was thinking about getting a 2.35 upper pulley, injectors and vangence HX upgrade. Also looking to do meth, but instead for spraying pre rotors blades(or smoking), i thought about using nitrous outlet spray bars. Those seems to be the thing to do, they are post rotors so no coating removal issues and also it will spray evenly throught all the intake tract. Is there anyone who has done this? Cuz to me its seems to be a win win situation, I can make more power AND lower the AIT's drasticly!. I could use snow methkit or something else, any suggestion will be welcome. I also thought about getting a LS7 ported TB. With all those mods, i should be good...for a while
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
I was thinking lately about my second rounds of mods. I was thinking about getting a 2.35 upper pulley, injectors and vangence HX upgrade. Also looking to do meth, but instead for spraying pre rotors blades(or smoking), i thought about using nitrous outlet spray bars. Those seems to be the thing to do, they are post rotors so no coating removal issues and also it will spray evenly throught all the intake tract. Is there anyone who has done this? Cuz to me its seems to be a win win situation, I can make more power AND lower the AIT's drasticly!. I could use snow methkit or something else, any suggestion will be welcome. I also thought about getting a LS7 ported TB. With all those mods, i should be good...for a while
you wont be lowering the iats a whole lot by going post lobes, alot of the heating of the air is happening as the air passes through the lobes and hits the ic bricks. i spray meth on mine 50/50 for just cooling but we spray it in the intake and use it to relieve surface heat off of the ic bricks. while spraying into the runner will be much better for distribution and keeping the octane up it wont do a ton for your iats imo.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:33 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

well my goal with going post lobes is avoid taking the coating off, with that said i wont see AIT's 2 much lower, but ait will be lower not half of it but still potent and could a lil more agressive on timing. Wich kit are you using?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM
ace32x
Drifting

well my goal with going post lobes is avoid taking the coating off, with that said i wont see AIT's 2 much lower, but ait will be lower not half of it but still potent and could a lil more agressive on timing. Wich kit are you using?
from what ive read and came across if you use 100% meth it doesnt affect the coating.

i dont have any comparison numbers for my system before and after meth but last night i did a second-5th pull up to around 190 and temps only hit 131. ambient was 78

im using the ecs alky kit
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Fantastic! Would love to see this same test with vs. without Meth to see effects of IATs. Even it it gets you 10 degrees, it's worth it IMHO.

I love the idea of meth injection in these cars, but I've been told it really does not work all that well.

Originally Posted by ace32x
from what ive read and came across if you use 100% meth it doesnt affect the coating.

i dont have any comparison numbers for my system before and after meth but last night i did a second-5th pull up to around 190 and temps only hit 131. ambient was 78

im using the ecs alky kit

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 07-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
Fantastic! Would love to see this same test with vs. without Meth to see effects of IATs. Even it it gets you 10 degrees, it's worth it IMHO.

I love the idea of meth injection in these cars, but I've been told it really does not work all that well.
No problems to report yet. Worst case if the rotors do get decoated easy to pull and send them out
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Spraying post rotors through a spray bar will lower IAT2s but you won't be able to verify it because the sensor sits above where you will be spraying from. Honestly I don't think there is a difference spraying pre-rotor vs post-rotor. The upside though is you can spray a 50/50 mix which has more cooling effect if you spray post-rotor. Problem will be is that your blower will be super hot. So if you did every cooling mod then you could get away with it. I would definitely recommend against pushing timing if you are spraying meth. I have had 3 different meth system failures on my car. Cut a line, line popped off the reservoir, and pump failed were all my failures.

You could do something wild like spray pre and post-rotor, but you would have to spray 100% meth if you do that.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Assuming the rotors are similar in my eforce. I have been spraying 50/50 water meth through the rotors for 2 years now and they are fine. Had the blower apart a few months ago and there is no abnormal wear on the rotors. The coating wears a bit by itself normally.
I think the wear is normal and as ace32x said, the can always be recoated if needed. At the rate the coating is coming off that would be in like 10 years.

This is how mine looked when I checked..........

These are the normal areas of wear according to Eaton.....

Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Assuming the rotors are similar in my eforce. I have been spraying 50/50 water meth through the rotors for 2 years now and they are fine. Had the blower apart a few months ago and there is no abnormal wear on the rotors. The coating wears a bit by itself normally.
I think the wear is normal and as ace32x said, the can always be recoated if needed. At the rate the coating is coming off that would be in like 10 years.

This is how mine looked when I checked..........

These are the normal areas of wear according to Eaton.....

mine looked a little more worn than that when it came off but the car was 100% oem then. after some nitrous and a couple thousand miles when we added the meth and had it apart it looked the same as it did when we had it off the first time.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

So pre rotors sounds actually the way to go for lowering AIT's. I thought it would harm the blowers lobes. But spraying pre blower 50/50 might do some damage. Jody i didn't know you have meth on yours i need to look it up! So i bought my LPE 710 used and there's already a hole made for water meth spraying from the previous owner. What's the dual nozzles upgrades exactly?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

So pre rotors sounds actually the way to go for lowering AIT's. I thought it would harm the blowers lobes. But spraying pre blower 50/50 might do some damage. Jody i didn't know you have meth on yours i need to look it up! So i bought my LPE 710 used and there's already a hole made for water meth spraying from the previous owner. What's the dual nozzles upgrades exactly?
I am not convinced that the meth pre rotors is doing a lot to lower IAT's . I didn't really monitor them much before I had the meth so I cant say exactly. Even if they lower it a few degrees, and cool the charge temp down a bit its still worth doing. Allows more timing too.
I am running the dual nozzles with the alky control kit and after lots of research I think Alky Control is definitely the way to go. Just the support from Julio makes it worthwhile, not to mention the stuff is great quality.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It just depends how much power you make. You really want to size the meth nozzle/s to your application. For 700 rwhp, I was told a single M15 nozzle was perfect. That was ECS's recommendation, and the amount of meth (100% meth) seemed to be about perfect. I tried a dual nozzle system at first (an M10 and an M15), and it was just too much meth. Had to reduce regular fueling too much for my taste.

My plan is to spray 100% meth pre-rotor on my TVS2300 blower. I don't think it's going to make a huge IAT difference, but that's okay since I'm really doing it for the octane improvement -- which is huge based on my experience with a few other meth systems.

For what it's worth, I never had any meth system issues in the three years or so I had my Alky Control system. Sending the pump out for a preventative maintenance rebuilt every few years is a smart thing to do, but other than that, they should be solid if installed well.

You might want to look into using Dave Steck's flex-fuel module to allow for added timing when the meth system comes up to pressure. I've seen guys wire it to the Alky pump relay (or something like that), so the module tells the PCM alcohol is present once it's spraying. Then you can add timing via the alcohol tables only when the meth system has built pressure. Since our IATs aren't going to drop like a centri blower setup with the IAT sensor right after the meth spray, this is another way I've seen guys tune safely tune for more power with meth.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Great info thanks^
Old 03-20-2015, 05:04 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Still thinking about doing it, i have a brand new AEM V2 meth injection laying around. Still not sure about the failsafes and risks!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Still thinking about doing it, i have a brand new AEM V2 meth injection laying around. Still not sure about the failsafes and risks!
I thought you sold your ZR1?...
Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I thought you sold your ZR1?...
So did I ?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk

So did I ?
Nah installing my new caravaggio extra lightweight

Name:  ForumRunner_20150321_094316.png
Views: 284
Size:  379.0 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Who wants to do meth?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Who wants to do meth?