Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Drag pack okay for street use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:22 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Drag pack okay for street use?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Weld RTS setup with 17x5's and 185/55 M&H radials up front and 17x11 and 315/35 MT drag radials out back. I understand these will negatively affect the handling of the car, but is it okay for my to leave them on to drive around on the street with?

I live 50 miles from work, with my local dragstrip on the way home, so I'm looking for a setup that I can leave on the car. Otherwise I'll go a cheaper route with some zr1 replicas in the rear and stock wheels up front.

Last edited by TRSCobra; 07-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes and no. (I hate those answers). I had 17" CCW drag pack with that exact setup. I would drive it 15 miles to the track, not really an issue. Had to take freeway cloveleafs really slow, hope no one pulled out in front, and forget emergency lane changes. If it is a quick to the track and back I wouldn't have an issue running the skinny front. My new drag pack I ordered 18x7" fronts and will run a 225-235. Enough tire to still turn if needed and have decent brakes. Plus most mile/etc stuff don't allow the real skinny tires.

So if you aren't affraid and have a short trip, go for it. That being said, I would run a 7" wide wheel and a wider tire if that car seems much street use, want to 1/2 mile or mile race, or want some control/brakes.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

With the distance you normally drive, it's a lot better to stay safe on the street and change to DR's at the track.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Damn it guys, these aren't the answers I was hoping for!

I'll think about the 6-7" wide front wheel setup I suppose. Really wanted some skinnys though... I usually drive 100-130 miles round trip to work or work then track then home. I like the idea of changing to drag radials at the track, but will 2 fit in the car? I'd also have to figure out the logistics of storing them along with a jack and lug wrench in a safe place while I'm racing.

Nothing's easy.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I drove my mustang hours at a time, to work and where ever on skinnies..

It's do able just be more careful
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM
1SwtRide
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Weld RTS setup with 17x5's and 185/55 M&H radials up front and 17x11 and 315/35 MT drag radials out back. I understand these will negatively affect the handling of the car, but is it okay for my to leave them on to drive around on the street with?

I live 50 miles from work, with my local dragstrip on the way home, so I'm looking for a setup that I can leave on the car. Otherwise I'll go a cheaper route with some zr1 replicas in the rear and stock wheels up front.
From my experience, you'll be just fine. To and from work on nice days with this set up. Straight line awesome, yes. Canyon carving, no.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Damn it guys, these aren't the answers I was hoping for!

I'll think about the 6-7" wide front wheel setup I suppose. Really wanted some skinnys though... I usually drive 100-130 miles round trip to work or work then track then home. I like the idea of changing to drag radials at the track, but will 2 fit in the car? I'd also have to figure out the logistics of storing them along with a jack and lug wrench in a safe place while I'm racing.

Nothing's easy.
Before this, I carried DR's and a small 2 ton floor jack in the hatch. Placed a plastic sheet to cover the carpet and put one up to the passenger seat and the other at the left rear. While racing, both street wheels/tires and the jack were tucked under the plastic.
If you remove the passenger seat, you can fit skinnies in there.
BTW, if you do M&H on GTO spare wheels, you need to switch to base brakes or use a weight defeating spacer.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Good to hear it's not unanimous to avoid running narrow tires up front. Come to think of it, a 185 is the same section width as gm used to run on it's midsized fwd cars all through the 80's. This is with mushy suspension, no abs, and I'd imagine, similar weight to the z06. Why would that be dangerous? I agree the handling will be affected negatively, but it's still gotta handle/stop better than older cars wearing tires of the same width, right?

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Before this, I carried DR's and a small 2 ton floor jack in the hatch. Placed a plastic sheet to cover the carpet and put one up to the passenger seat and the other at the left rear. While racing, both street wheels/tires and the jack were tucked under the plastic.
If you remove the passenger seat, you can fit skinnies in there.
BTW, if you do M&H on GTO spare wheels, you need to switch to base brakes or use a weight defeating spacer.

I'd love take some in the car and swap them, but I'm really concerned with someone taki g off with them. That little trailer is cool, but I'd just end up buying a car trailer for my F250 and towing it to the track before towing a trailer with my corvette.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I did it for awhile, like I said, it is really a personal choice. I had to change lanes quickly once to avoid some road debris and car didn't like it at all. After having done both, I'll take a 225 up front for a it more "safety" in my mind without adding much weight.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad idea IMO.
Change your tires at the track (have a friend bring them for you if needed).
Old 07-26-2014, 10:53 PM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Leaning more towards the x6 or x7 at the most... It's still fairly skinny and my safety both on and off the track is more important than that extra thousands of a second.. I know the X5 has less rolling resistance, but it can't be a ton of difference. If it was a track only setup, no question in my mind I would be on the x5's... I'll be street driving all the time on mine, as well as 1/4 and 1/2 mile races. Having to get on the binders at a half mile is what makes me lean more towards the x6 or x7... Just need to figure out what tires will work with that rim and not throw some code with the 315's on a 17in rear with the 18x6 or x7 front rim

Last edited by jnv255; 07-26-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Like I said, check with the 1/2 mile place. All the ones I saw running 1/2 and 1 mile events wouldn't allow a 5" wheel.

Other reason is I'm cheap. 18x7" fronts were cheaper than the 17x5 fronts, and I have the 235" tires off my mustang just sitting in the garage so I"m going to use those. Nothing like recycling ford parts for the vette.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jnv255
I'm in the same boat. Leaning more towards the x6 or x7 at the most... It's still fairly skinny and my safety both on and off the track is more important than that extra thousands of a second.. I know the X5 has less rolling resistance, but it can't be a ton of difference. If it was a track only setup, no question in my mind I would be on the x5's... I'll be street driving all the time on mine, as well as 1/4 and 1/2 mile races. Having to get on the binders at a half mile is what makes me lean more towards the x6 or x7... Just need to figure out what tires will work with that rim and not throw some code with the 315's on a 17in rear with the 18x6 or x7 front rim
I hear you on the minimal difference with a slightly wider tire. I don't like pushing it when it comes to safety of other motorists. I mainly want welds for the drag look over the mismatched C5Z front/ZR1 replicas on the rear, but if I can't get some street use out of it, it's a waste of money for me.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Like I said, check with the 1/2 mile place. All the ones I saw running 1/2 and 1 mile events wouldn't allow a 5" wheel.

Other reason is I'm cheap. 18x7" fronts were cheaper than the 17x5 fronts, and I have the 235" tires off my mustang just sitting in the garage so I"m going to use those. Nothing like recycling ford parts for the vette.
When will you have your setup mounted? I might just wait to see how yours looks before I make a decision.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

4-5 weeks is when they said wheels should ship out. Shouldn't look any different.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:17 PM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think they were allowed at the Wannagofast events, but there was a mustang running them last year on his and I know it's not something they missed in tech. You can tell if it's a skinny, we all know that. If I can get a x6 and still run the only 18in skinny I can find (M&H 185 I think it is) that's what I'm gonna drive on. Think I'll be the only Vette around here on a skinny, but every other mustang around runs em. When you get your wheels and tires, let me know and maybe PM me a pic or something incase I miss the post. It'll help me figure out tire sizes and exactly what I'm gonna do. It's either buy the rims and tires now, or buy a custom made SCAR Heavy rifle that's about $5k without optics. As shooting, skydiving, and cars are my hobbies and unfortunately, they're all expensive and I'm not rich at all. I just save my money

I hear you on the minimal difference with a slightly wider tire. I don't like pushing it when it comes to safety of other motorists. I mainly want welds for the drag look over the mismatched C5Z front/ZR1 replicas on the rear, but if I can't get some street use out of it, it's a waste of money for me.

When will you have your setup mounted? I might just wait to see how yours looks before I make a decision.
Same here as I have the C5Z rims on a bias ply which are coming off before I use em again. Made a lot of passes on the bias ply/ radial mix, but with low pressure I've never gone into a wobble like that before. Made 4 more passes after that with the air psi back up, but yeah. I don't want to spend that much money on rims and tires if I can't street drive em either. Like you said, it's a waste. I've got a better idea after I made a post about it last week thanks to a few members, but yeah.. Same boat for me too all around
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I roll around on my drag pack daily but mine are 18x6 and 17x11... Go 7" wide cause there aren't many selections for the 6" wide... Either it stretches the tires or they bulge... Zero problems with mine... I have Weld RTS so they are solid for the street...

Last edited by LS7 BUD; 07-28-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jnv255
I didn't think they were allowed at the Wannagofast events, but there was a mustang running them last year on his and I know it's not something they missed in tech. You can tell if it's a skinny, we all know that. If I can get a x6 and still run the only 18in skinny I can find (M&H 185 I think it is) that's what I'm gonna drive on. Think I'll be the only Vette around here on a skinny, but every other mustang around runs em. When you get your wheels and tires, let me know and maybe PM me a pic or something incase I miss the post. It'll help me figure out tire sizes and exactly what I'm gonna do. It's either buy the rims and tires now, or buy a custom made SCAR Heavy rifle that's about $5k without optics. As shooting, skydiving, and cars are my hobbies and unfortunately, they're all expensive and I'm not rich at all. I just save my money

Same here as I have the C5Z rims on a bias ply which are coming off before I use em again. Made a lot of passes on the bias ply/ radial mix, but with low pressure I've never gone into a wobble like that before. Made 4 more passes after that with the air psi back up, but yeah. I don't want to spend that much money on rims and tires if I can't street drive em either. Like you said, it's a waste. I've got a better idea after I made a post about it last week thanks to a few members, but yeah.. Same boat for me too all around
Yeah I'm just a blue collar working stiff myself with many other areas to spread my few pennies, and a wife who doesn't feel the same way about cars. I need to find more about this 18x7 setup. I just wish these wheels didnt take so long to make.

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
I roll around on my drag pack daily but mine are 18x6 and 17x11... Got 7" wide cause there aren't many selections for the 6" wide... Either it stretches the tires or they bulge... Zero problems with mine... I have Weld RTS so they are solid for the street...
Do you have pictures? What size/type of front tire are you running?

Get notified of new replies

To Drag pack okay for street use?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
BayAreaSS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be fine driving around on a drag pack. My 4th gen ss Camaro has been on drag wheels for a couple years now and I drive 200 miles round trip to the track. If you want to be on the safe side get the 6-7" wide front wheels
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Yes and no. (I hate those answers). I had 17" CCW drag pack with that exact setup. I would drive it 15 miles to the track, not really an issue. Had to take freeway cloveleafs really slow, hope no one pulled out in front, and forget emergency lane changes. If it is a quick to the track and back I wouldn't have an issue running the skinny front. My new drag pack I ordered 18x7" fronts and will run a 225-235. Enough tire to still turn if needed and have decent brakes. Plus most mile/etc stuff don't allow the real skinny tires.

So if you aren't affraid and have a short trip, go for it. That being said, I would run a 7" wide wheel and a wider tire if that car seems much street use, want to 1/2 mile or mile race, or want some control/brakes.

I would agree.....I had friends back home in our college days run back and forth to class and work with ET Street's on the back and skinnies in the front. Yes on the street you had to drive the car like it was a 1925 model T because they didn't turn or stop well, but you could do it.

Given the handling and braking of modern cars, it is hard to give up that snappy lane change and hard charging on and off the highways that they can do so easily so it would be a better choice to just swap wheels and tires Friday night before the weekend trip to the strip.

Outside of how the car feels and handles there is on other 'issue' when you are dealing with a more race oriented tire, the more you drive on them and the more they heat cycle the more they are going to work harden and loose some of their grip. Typically race tires are thinner and of course stickier so they are going to pick up rocks, nails, screws....not only running the risk of getting a flat but also throwing crap down the side of the car.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I got tons of photos but whatever they have done to the site recently I can't post pics over my phone anymore... Even with my photobucket app... I can upload it but it won't let me leave the menu to actually post it...

Last edited by LS7 BUD; 07-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drag pack okay for street use?