Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hello higher mileage Z's

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM
hornet_raider
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello higher mileage Z's

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker on the forums and finally decided to register now that I'm serious about my search for a Z06.

Any of you guys daily drive/have higher miles on your car? How is the maintenance and upkeep?

I'm aware of the valve issue with the 07 models and to shoot for the 08 due to a beefed up transmission and upgraded interior. Is there anything else I should be made aware of when looking?

I had an LS2 goat some years ago and noticed it was SIGNIFICANTLY easier to work on than the audi I drive now. I'm looking for something more fun to daily drive that won't break the bank in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

I appreciate any input any of you guys have, and I thoroughly look forward to joining your community with a Z myself!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive my 07 with 62k+ miles about 30-50 miles Monday-Friday with at least 1 WOT 2-3rd gear pull most of the time. I've put at least 20k miles in the past year with traveling from texas to kentucky and what not and the only thing I've need to do is change the oil(Mobil 1 high performance or something like that+mobile 1 filter).

I do need a brake change, new fluids all around just because I have no records of it being done but besides that just as easy to drive as my grand cherokee srt8 just not as comfortable without the ventilated seats and what not and ease of getting in and out of the car. There is another thread already though about high mileage Zs, give it a search.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Well, the typical mantra is to buy the newest you can afford. Each year had something newer and (arguably) better. TR6060 Transmission and 3LZ option in 2008, upgraded dry sump (larger tank from the ZR1) and bluetooth in 2009, etc., etc.

As far as not breaking the bank, this thing eats tires for breakfast. I only got 6000 miles out of the stock runflats and averaged only 10-12K miles for the rear tires when I switched to Nitto Invo (my lead foot might have something to do with it). Currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

As for other potential things that can go wrong, just browse topics for the last few weeks and you will find all sorts of neat stuff to investigate with your own car. Good luck and happy motoring!

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 06-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM
hornet_raider
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTAC6
I daily drive my 07 with 62k+ miles about 30-50 miles Monday-Friday with at least 1 WOT 2-3rd gear pull most of the time. I've put at least 20k miles in the past year with traveling from texas to kentucky and what not and the only thing I've need to do is change the oil(Mobil 1 high performance or something like that+mobile 1 filter).

I do need a brake change, new fluids all around just because I have no records of it being done but besides that just as easy to drive as my grand cherokee srt8 just not as comfortable without the ventilated seats and what not and ease of getting in and out of the car. There is another thread already though about high mileage Zs, give it a search.
I like hearing this. Thank you.

Originally Posted by EViL427
Well, the typical mantra is to buy the newest you can afford. Each year had something newer and (arguably) better. TR6060 Transmission and 3LZ option in 2008, upgraded dry sump (larger tank from the ZR1) and bluetooth in 2009, etc., etc.

As far as not breaking the bank, this thing eats tires for breakfast. I only got 6000 miles out of the stock runflats and averaged only 10-12K miles for the rear tires when I switched to Nitto Invo (my lead foot might have something to do with it). Currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

As for other potential things that can go wrong, just browse topics for the last few weeks and you will find all sorts of neat stuff to investigate with your own car. Good luck and happy motoring!

I kept seeing the tires issue come up but wasn't sure if this was due to a design flaw, or due to lead foot for such an awesome car .

Will do. Admittedly, I have mainly been lurking in the classifieds sections and have only come across garage queens, so I couldn't gauge the drive-ability in terms of a daily driver. I'll do a little more research. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea I'm running 345/285 Michelin pilot super sport sizes, besides feeling the gap a little better I wouldn't imagine the oem sizes being any worse but I wouldn't think unless It was sport cups about getting anything else.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't have a high mileage car per say but my '08 is my daily driver and local errand car at only 27k. My original run flats were replaced at roughly 14k and I'm still riding on my second set of tires (Bridgestones) with plenty of tread to spare. I change my clutch fluid yearly (Ranger method), do fuel treatments every few thousand miles (Techron), and did my brake fluid flush and coolant at approx. 19k miles. I had a few other things done by choice and a couple of TSB's. I also replaced the battery at 5 years and hood struts a few months back. Despite the supposed lifetime fill, I may replace and upgrade the trans and diff fluid soon. This car has been a joy to own. The upkeep is very simple. Of course, I had my heads replaced by Abel but I'm assuming you know about that issue.

Last edited by vetteuphoria; 06-27-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

07s have a rocker arm issue, all years have valve issues.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Been around cars all my life...on track and dd. have 2008 Z06 now with 51k
DD. no problems easy maintenance. Even fair gas mileage.
Inside is a little noisy on certain roads .. Running pilot SS
Swapped drivetrain fluids ( I have had very good results with redline stuff) when I bought it.
And did a little modification to get the oil temps up some.
I have 10k miles on my tires now and they are great. Get a good alignment and keep your foot out of it and the tires will last a lot longer
Absolutely great cars....beautiful underneath even.
Never be another like it
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM
John's vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have 102k on my 2007 Z. Knock on any wood but I have had zero problems with this car other than my drivers door actuator went out. Easy fix. I will keep driving until I buy the C7 Z.

I change the oil every time the DIC says I need to and keep driving and smiling. I put 150k on my C5 and guy I sold it to has well over 250k now.

Get newest you can afford but I would not worry about miles as long as your can pull the service records to verify any major issues.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

74,000 Miles here.

I bought the car new and I take care of it but I do drive it. A lot !

Zero problems !

It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage (18.5 to work, 26 on highway) and it really looks good.

I get 28-30,000 miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflat tires. It doesn't use any oil and I've never had any mechanical problems or failures.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello higher mileage Z's

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hello higher mileage Z's