Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Luck finally ran out

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Luck finally ran out

After 8+ years and nearly 90k miles my luck of not getting pulled over in the Z06 finally ran out this past weekend. Decided to take a 300 mile trip to South Dakota for Memorial Day weekend and a SD highway patrolman pulled me over for no front license plate. At least he was nice about it and only gave me a warning ticket. He seemed interested in the Z06 as he asked me what mods I had on it and how I liked the car. Guess I'll make sure I have the front plate on for any future trips.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
After 8+ years and nearly 90k miles my luck of not getting pulled over in the Z06 finally ran out this past weekend. Decided to take a 300 mile trip to South Dakota for Memorial Day weekend and a SD highway patrolman pulled me over for no front license plate. At least he was nice about it and only gave me a warning ticket. He seemed interested in the Z06 as he asked me what mods I had on it and how I liked the car. Guess I'll make sure I have the front plate on for any future trips.
Yeah, I gave up on taking any chances, I now run front plates on my Z06 and C5 'vert.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:19 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I recd two warnings and a ticket before I had finally gave in and mounted a front plate....the Texas State troopers enforce the rule. They were the only org that ever paid any attention to it. The city/county cops would wave at me....
Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Arkansas doesn't require a front plate, or an inspection for that matter.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

So glad AZ. changed it's law and doesn't require a front plate anymore. The C6 Corvette just wasn't made to have a front plate.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

It'll be a cold day in Hell when I put that thing on the front of my car. I'll just keep paying the tickets.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
BlackshirtsZ06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states have the law, some don't. So my question for us in the states that do require a front plate, Why do we? If your vehicle matches a description of a serious criminal activity it was involved in more than likely said law enforcement is going to turn around and tailgate/follow you as they run your plates depending on the situation.
I understand certain state law enforcement are just doing there job.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

How can cop in South Dakota give you a ticket for breaking a Minnesota law?
The following users liked this post:
reasonable suspicion (04-10-2020)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM
BlackshirtsZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by meanjoe
It'll be a cold day in Hell when I put that thing on the front of my car. I'll just keep paying the tickets.
71HO454 (04-10-2020)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackshirtsZ06
Some states have the law, some don't. So my question for us in the states that do require a front plate, Why do we? If your vehicle matches a description of a serious criminal activity it was involved in more than likely said law enforcement is going to turn around and tailgate/follow you as they run your plates depending on the situation.
I understand certain state law enforcement are just doing there job.
Here in Missouri, every time they try to throw out the two plate requirement, the state police protest claiming the two plates are for safety. I've always wondered why they can read that tiny license plate on the rear of a motorcycle(especially from the front in oncoming traffic), yet they are so blind they have to have a license plate four times that size, mounted on a car, both front and rear.
71HO454 (04-10-2020)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by z76232
So glad AZ. changed it's law and doesn't require a front plate anymore. The C6 Corvette just wasn't made to have a front plate.
True... but AZ sucks, especially where I am (Yuma).

SD highway patrolman pulled me over for no front license plate.
How the hell can he issue a ticket (of any kind) for a state he doesn't have jurisdiction over (doesn't know state specific registration laws)?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM
BlackshirtsZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My guess? If the law is enforceable in the state you are in and the state your plate is from it is justified. On the flip side if the same vehicle was driving through South Dakota as example was registered in any given state the dose not require a front plate, Florida as example.
Would the Florida driver be in the clear but not the Minnesota driver?
I think are law enforcement dollars could be better spent on real crime/prevention vs wasting the time a dollars to prevent these front license plate violations.

Last edited by BlackshirtsZ06; 05-27-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default No Front Plates in Oklahoma

I've got to give the Okies credit. In the 70's they had the double nickel fever, but now -> not only are front plates not required, but all of the major turnpikes and highways are 75 mph speed limit.

Too bad about the Texas DPS; I grew up there, I'll have to ask my club if they've had issues getting pulled over in Texas..then again it might be difficult pulling over 55 to 60 vettes at a time like our weekend cruises draw in Tulsa.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,535 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
True... but AZ sucks, especially where I am (Yuma).
You are just in the wrong part of AZ, it is amazing here in the high desert country, summer and winter.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
SD also has a 2 plate requirement, so technically I was also breaking that state's law. I have done a little research and while there are conflicting opinions it looks like a lot of lawyers say that you have to abide by the laws of the state you are driving in. However, if you are from a state that doesn't require a front plate and you get a ticket in a state that does require one, you 'may' be able to have the fine reduced or the ticket dismissed but it would be up to a judge.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 AM
tgreenshields
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agree!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when I saw the title of this thread, I thought you dropped a valve. Talk about one track mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam_W:
Chiselchst (07-14-2022), foundvettelifeisgood (02-24-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Luck finally ran out

Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 AM
cwcrash
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have refused also on the Z06, been pulled over once by city cop,population 7,000,and warned. I agree with,whats the differents between car or motocycle?I think the law is for writing tickets from frontal camera's at intersections.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
You are just in the wrong part of AZ, it is amazing here in the high desert country, summer and winter.
I can't really argue with you. Only been to Phoenix twice since I've moved here (only other place I've been in AZ)... much rather prefer San Diego for a road trip.

SD also has a 2 plate requirement, so technically I was also breaking that state's law. I have done a little research and while there are conflicting opinions it looks like a lot of lawyers say that you have to abide by the laws of the state you are driving in. However, if you are from a state that doesn't require a front plate and you get a ticket in a state that does require one, you 'may' be able to have the fine reduced or the ticket dismissed but it would be up to a judge.
So when I drive across country next month from AZ to MD... I can essentially be pulled over and required to pay a fine by every state that requires front tags? What a crock of crap!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Luck finally ran out