Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Check your motor mounts! (Replaced with Hinson units)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:22 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Check your motor mounts! (Replaced with Hinson units)

I didn't think my motor mounts would be this bad after 25,000 miles, but apparently they weren't up to the task. I remember seeing this dark stain down my front cradle last year and figured it was just fluid spilled when I did my heads. I put the car on the lift and took a look - yikes, they were totally cashed.

I installed the hinsons solid motor and trans mounts last weekend. The car is incredibly solid now, and I cannot wait to get back to the track. The first time engaging my RPS clutch off a light I could feel how much smoother and solid the car was, way better than before. With my engine setup Katech/WCCH (11.5 compression) I just barely feel the idle chop a hair more, and a very slight increase in noise vibration harshness - but this is barely noticeable. Still my daily driver in traffic each day.

Check your mounts guys, chances are good they are toast. If you do run Hinsons mounts, you don't need to wrap the trans mounts but I did heat wrap the engine mounts with DEI tape.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Matt Cyber Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a link for these ?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-994-chassis.aspx

If you get the combo with both of them its a better deal.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Yep. Did the exact same thing after finding the exact same thing.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Im just about to change mine as preventative maintenance when the new motor goes in. I have a set of Pfadt motor mounts on hand but wondering if I should go with Hinson instead?

It looks like they off two different heights as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EViL427
Yep. Did the exact same thing after finding the exact same thing.
Did you notice the whole car feeling tighter? I get a little more chop at idle (katech 110 cam), but I notice when I shut the car off it doesn't do that last rotation shake I used to get.

Originally Posted by lt1z
Im just about to change mine as preventative maintenance when the new motor goes in. I have a set of Pfadt motor mounts on hand but wondering if I should go with Hinson instead?

It looks like they off two different heights as well.
The Pfadts will send a lot more noise and vibration through the car than the hinsons, which send more through than the OEM mounts. We have the pfadts in a track Z and its fine, but on my daily, no thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I had one shot mount at 26k miles. Hinsons front and rear now with no issues.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, mine failed last year at Sebring. What a freaking mess they made. I had to use a power washer to get that orange stain off the underside of the car.

I'm running the Pfadt's now, and there is some vibration, especially at idle.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:56 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Parsonsj, are you cammed or stock? I definitely feel the chop of my 110 cam more at idle, but its not over the top.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, my engine has significant mods, including the cam. The engine lope was noticeable even on the old motor mounts.

However, the Pfadt motor mounts have introduced a "buzz" to the cowl/dash area at idle. It's on my list to find and fix, since the motor mounts are staying.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Did you notice the whole car feeling tighter? I get a little more chop at idle (katech 110 cam), but I notice when I shut the car off it doesn't do that last rotation shake I used to get.
I definitely get more road noise, but I also switched tires at the same time (from Invos to Pilot Super Sports), so that may have contributed. Car does feel much more solid. Vibration transfer difference seems minimal. I've always had a bit of chop at idle, so I didn't notice too much difference. While driving, it is exceptionally smooth.

Oh, and wheel hop at the drag strip was non-existent. The last time I was there (before the DRM Bilsteins and the Hinson mounts), I couldn't give it half throttle without it bouncing all over the place. Some folks claim "all driver" when wheel hop occurs, but, considering my stock motor mounts looked exactly like yours, there are certainly other factors that can contribute to wheel hop. I had been to the track many times before without issue.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

I hear you on the wheel hop brother. On my drags no spin no hop. On the streets last year (had bad mounts all year and just realized this winter) the hop was violent. I haven't had a chance to get on it much as I just finished my install, but I haven't felt any hop yet.

Seems like 20,000 miles when driven hard is about all you get on OEM motor mounts. Lets see how these hinsons hold up.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you guys describe the vibes (NHV) with the poly motor mounts.

Sounds like the Hinsons are a bit more liveable on the street?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,150 Likes on 602 Posts

Virtually all aftermarket powertrain mounts are not hydraulic and, thus, will increase noise and harshness to varying degrees.

For track use, stiffer (urethane) or solid powertrain mounts are likely a good reliability move but, if the car is track and street, you're going to pay a price with noise and vibration which may vary from a "little more" to "a lot more" and quite annoying on long trips.

For street and no track use, I'd resist the urge to change and would retain the hydraulic mounts.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Virtually all aftermarket powertrain mounts are not hydraulic and, thus, will increase noise and harshness to varying degrees.

For track use, stiffer (urethane) or solid powertrain mounts are likely a good reliability move but, if the car is track and street, you're going to pay a price with noise and vibration which may vary from a "little more" to "a lot more" and quite annoying on long trips.

For street and no track use, I'd resist the urge to change and would retain the hydraulic mounts.
Hinson's regular (not short) length mounts add just a little vibration at idle only on an A6. Street use by no means objectionable. The tranny shifts are much more positive with no clunk wrap for each gear's engagement compared to stock, this is motor mounts only. A+ Hinson.

I have had other brand poly mounts on my C5 years ago and the vibes were horrendous at idle and while under way. So bad I removed them.

Last edited by Just Enough; 06-16-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

If you use the Pfadt mounts you are going to rattle your fillings out of your teeth. These Hinsons only increase noise and vibration by a very small margin over the OEM mounts.

I am very careful to never go over the top modding my car so it ruins it on the street and daily driving. I have no regrets with these mounts after daily driving them for some time. When just cruising along I can't even tell they are in there. Only at idle and hard accel can I notice a slight change to the car. I agree with Hib however, if you don't track/drag just replace with OEM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Pfadt motor and transmission mounts on my car, with H/C. My stock units look perfect after 30,000 miles.

I think the Pfadt units are awesome. To my opinion, there is no oppressive increase in vibration that would knock out tooth filings (lucky i've never even had a cavity). I only notice a undertone vibration at idle, once moving it's gone. The vibration is not loud or anything, more a feel than a noise. It feels good, like you are really connected to the motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Check your motor mounts! (Replaced with Hinson units)

Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
If you use the Pfadt mounts you are going to rattle your fillings out of your teeth. These Hinsons only increase noise and vibration by a very small margin over the OEM mounts.
How are your Hinson mounts holding up? Any issues with them melting from the exhaust manifolds?

I just bought some engine mounts and look forward to getting these installed on my car. The Pfadts I had before were just too much to bear with on the street. My car had all sorts of rattles and would shake my fillings out. But, I did like the way they made the car handle, and shifting was so precise. Hopefully, I get this similar feel with the Hinson without the rattles.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skxf430
How are your Hinson mounts holding up? Any issues with them melting from the exhaust manifolds?

I just bought some engine mounts and look forward to getting these installed on my car. The Pfadts I had before were just too much to bear with on the street. My car had all sorts of rattles and would shake my fillings out. But, I did like the way they made the car handle, and shifting was so precise. Hopefully, I get this similar feel with the Hinson without the rattles.
Mine are holding up fine. And if you notices in his picture above, it's wrapped with a heat shield tape. I did the same to mine. Without it, the headers were eating into the sides of them, but not enough to compromise their integrity. Wrapped them to be err on the side of caution.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:48 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 331 Posts

Did you just jack the motor to change them? Or lower the cradle?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Check your motor mounts! (Replaced with Hinson units)